Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: About Anti-Fatigue Mats??

About Anti-Fatigue Mats??

Let's talk about Anti-Fatigue Mats!

First of all, I know how comfortable they can be to stand on.
    And how wonderful they are for we quilters, at the cutting table and ironing board.

I've lusted over them for sometime.
    Have even shopped a bit for them, IRL and online.
    But with no true shopping knowledge myself, nor with store help who had any either,
    I have given up every time.
    I still want one, actually two, for the cutting table and the ironing board.

Observations ... there is a Huge difference in what I have seen,
    as to the structure, composition, finish, sizes, etc. of the mats.
    Pricing is all over the map too! Very often unwieldy.

So ... please share as to how to "shop" for an anti-fatigue mat.
    I don't mind spending the bucks ... but I want to make sure I get value for what it costs me.

Please? and Thanks!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-11-2018 at 10:24 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Look at some of the discount places like Tuesday Morning, Ross, etc. They will be a little cheaper at those places. I've been looking at them too, I mostly haven't bought one yet because they aren't particularly attractive...I want some in the kitchen, but haven't found anything I like well enough to spend the $$$ on.

good question. Will appreciate input from folks cuz I'm thinking about one as well.

DaisyDawg ... I totally fear spending my money, and getting a not-so-good one.
    IOW wasting my $!

FaintlyArtistic ... It's not so much about knowing where to buy, as many of your American stores are not here in Canada. Or if they are here, quite often they do not carry the same product lines. Likewise for our fellow QB'ers in other parts of the world.

What I want to learn about is what to look for in choosing the "right" one. The best one!
    What makes the difference between good-better-best ..... or one that is total garbage?

are we talking about something more than the vinyl/foam mats like they have at walmart? I need something for my cutting table and if I'm missing out I'd like to know more. I have fibromyalgia and could use some relief.
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

It all depends on how much you want to spend. I'm a retired chef, so spent a lot of time on the mats. The best ones are the ones from the restaurant supply. They aren't pretty, though and they are pricey https://www.acemart.com/kitchen/heal...-mat/AND4203-5

Most anything will help. They are particularly important if you have concrete floors under your carpet, tile or laminate. Standing on cardboard will give you some cushion. That will, off course, not last too long.

The ones that have a slick back are not too practical for a slick floor. I had some that lifted the paint off the floor. I'm not sure if they got water under them or just "bonded" to the floor. It was in a commercial kitchen, so was not a big problem, but it would have been in my home.

Those mats that look like puzzle pieces work, too. They are lightweight and inexpensive.

That's my 2 cents.

bkay

Would cork mats or flooring pieces work? Or the kind of mats that interlock in the garage? I am asking because I don't know and would like to know, too.

Power Poster
    My DIL has one by her strove and they are lovely to stand on. The only caution I would say is make sure they have the beveled edges because a straight edge would be a tripping hazard because the mats are solid and don't move. Hers is about an inch thick.

For me the ultimate mats are from GelPro. I have two in my kitchen and love
    them. I've had them for several years (10 or more) and they are still good.
    Not only they are comfortable to stand on, they are easy to clean, they
    are textured and they do not stain the floor. I had a black one (not the cheapest
    stuff) that would leave black marks all over the kitchen. The ones from Walmart
    (puzzle type) might be better than nothing but no where are good as those gel
    mats.
    The ones I have has a basket weave design on it. Since I got them so long ago
    I believe they are just the Classic ones. I just checked their website and
    they now have 5 different kinds.

Forgot to mention that the GelPro mats have the beveled edge.
    I've had the cheaper gel mats and they cracked after one or two
    years. Can you tell I've been through quite a few mats?

Blog Entries
    I had the foam mats and they worked fine. however, the nicer higher priced ones like businesses use are probably even better.

My husband has one of soft gel ones in his shop. He says it works like a miracle on his back and feet.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

I have the interlocking floor mats doubled at my quilting machine. I purchased them from Harbor Freight several years ago. I could never stand very long without them. I had to double them and I think it is because of the concrete floor. About 8 years ago, I was in Wal Mart and they had a couple of the kitchen mats, dense foam, on sale for $2.00 each. I thought...what in the world will I use them for? Well, the more I cut fabric and stand ironing, I know why I have them. I did put them down on the floor and stepped on them to see if they were good. Oh my, yes!

Best thing to do is to go try some at a local store. Most stores have a return policy. If you don't like them, take them back. A tip...don't fold the foam ones in half, they will break. I just put duct tape on the back, and still use it. I do agree that the beveled edges are nice, since most of us tend to shuffle as we get older. "smile"
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

I have a foam mat that I use at my cutting table. It is so comfortable I can stand and cut/trim for several hours. I have been working with scraps for the last year or so. I bought it from Walmart, I have no idea how long it will last. I just know if it wears out I will buy another. We also have one in front of kitchen sink. They are smooth on top and bottom. No way can it damage the vinyl or hardwood floors. They have beveled edges.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

We have this mat: http://a.co/3YyixCg

We use this at the bottom of our stairs because our 3 year old will sometimes just randomly wipe out on the staircase just sitting on a step. Crazy kid. However, since we got it, she lands on it (sometimes head first) and just gets right up and keeps on going. It's thick and cushy, and every adult who has stepped on it has commented on how great it feels. It's really great! The edges are beveled and I can't see it harming any floors, and it's not a perfectly smooth/shiny finish. There's a little bit of grippy texture so you don't slip. It's way better than the one we have in the kitchen.

My personal opinion would be to use the ones they have from the industrial sections of auto-parts stores.
    Remember buy the best quality you can afford, your body will thank you!
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggersmom View Post
    ........Remember buy the best quality you can afford, your body will thank you!
    Exactly .... and why I started this thread to get educated on these mats!
    However, $$$$ does not always tell us what is the "best quality" ...... or what is undesirable.

Many Thanks to all those who have shared their experiences and thoughts.
    I hope that this is helping others as well.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have expensive ones in front of the LA machine that DH bought from an industrial supply house. Could not work on LA without them. Then bought smaller, thicker ones from Walmart, with beveled edges, that I use in front of ironing board and cutting table. Much cheaper and so far lasting well.

Blog Entries
    Quilt E,
    I am from Canada and bought min at Costco about 3 years ago and they are still like new ( in my kitchen), they have be levied edg3s.

Blog Entries
    I have two Wellness mats and a Wellness runner to use when I get my LA machine. They are made in the USA and have a 10 year (I believe) warranty. They are pricey but great quality. When I owned my kitchen retail store, we sold them and customers purchased them mostly for their kitchens. When we knew we had a buyer for our business, I ordered my three mats for myself at cost. : )

www.wellnessmats.com
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I'm a chef, so I stand on these all day. As noted, restaurant supply will have a selection of them, these tend to be open-weave for cleaning, rather than the domestic ones which will usually be more of a flat mat style. Get beveled edges and put shelf liner underneath if on a slick floor. I don't like a really spongy one and I don't like the kind that interlock...the edges tend to lift in between.

Watson

PS...if you find something in the US that you want, I have a PO Box in MI, I could pick it up for you when I go.

Thanks Watson for the info and offer to deliver!
    What is it that you don't like about the spongy type vs the harder more solid type.
    I'm thinking relatively smoother surface would be better in the sewing room ... than a rough finish, or one with grooves, or the open weave ..... too many bits and pieces of thread/fabric/lint to catch in it. Am I thinking right?

Now you have me thinking about cow mats ... or milkhouse flooring (like your open weaves).

Others Too, the info has been quite helpful and giving me more food for thought on this.
    Am adding Wellness brand to the list of possibilities to check out.

Would be interested to hear about experiences with the different types of mats..
    That is exactly where I have gotten stymied each time I looked into them.
    Last edited by QuiltE; 05-12-2018 at 05:21 AM.

Statesville, NC formerly Orlando, FL and surrounding area
    I've been wanting to get some mats too. I had one in front of the ironing board in our last house and it stuck to the vinyl floor when I removed it. I don't want to take that chance again. We have wood floors that were just refinished about a year ago. Anyone have suggestions as to what would not stick to the floor?
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieLou View Post
    I've been wanting to get some mats too. I had one in front of the ironing board in our last house and it stuck to the vinyl floor when I removed it. I don't want to take that chance again. We have wood floors that were just refinished about a year ago. Anyone have suggestions as to what would not stick to the floor?
    I can't answer you re the anti-fatigue mats.
    However, years ago, I had a scatter mat stick to linoleum .... At the time I guess it was the wax finish, the rubbery undercoating of the mat, and/or the pressure of standing on it at the kitchen sink. Probably bits of all combined .... so I am thinking much of the same would apply to these mats?

Others will probably have better answers!

Blog Entries
    I use a thick bath mat that has foam on the back so it won't slip and rug type fabric on top and find it very comfortable for standing on. I to have a bad back and this helps a lot and was not expensive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast