Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Vintage Hawaiian Coverlet - Need Help Identifying the Pattern

Vintage Hawaiian Coverlet - Need Help Identifying the Pattern

Found this pretty coverlet at an auction that was described as a Vintage Hawaiian Coverlet from the 1930s. Very thin with just the front and back material (nothing in between). No clue if it is a Hawaiian pattern or not. Has both hand stitching and machine stitching. Any idea what this pattern might be and if it might be Hawaiian?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    True Hawaiian patterns are actually owned by the families. This could be someone's attempt at a Hawaiian style pattern but it lacks the intricacy of most authentic ones I've seen. It's pretty and you like it so just enjoy it for a summer coverlet or display it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    True Hawaiian patterns are actually owned by the families. This could be someone's attempt at a Hawaiian style pattern but it lacks the intricacy of most authentic ones I've seen. It's pretty and you like it so just enjoy it for a summer coverlet or display it.
    I was thinking the same thing about it no being as intricate as the ones I saw when I was in Hawaii. I agree just enjoy it.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

There is at least one book called "Hawaiian Quilts Traditional to Transitional" I believe is the title. Having no middle layer does lend it a bit of credence. Of coarse you could always try to research if there is a museum in Hawaii with a strong textile department and email them and ask for their help. As the others have said, it seems a bit simple in style. Let us know what you learn about it.

Blog Entries
    A "true" Hawaiian quilt is one large, intricate design.
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

I agree that this is not as intricate as normal Hawaiian quilts I have seen.