Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
about color catchers >

about color catchers

about color catchers

Old 03-08-2012, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

If you find untreated cotton cloth, it's the same thing as the original color catcher cloth. Untreated cotton fabric is pricey but it can be bleached and used over and over when it gets full of color. Check out newborn white onsies at yard sales. Some of those are untreated and work great for color catchers. Carbona still makes the fabric color catcher. I bought some at Walmart marked down to $1 last summer. Why so cheap? They were in the old style package, the new packaging the price went back to $5. I bought a case (24). 30 uses per cloth, I can wash 720 quilts. Many more if I want to bleach the cloth. Not bad for $24. http://www.carbona.com/color-grabberreusablecloth.html
Old 03-08-2012, 07:21 AM

I use mine just once. I wonder if they are treated with something that absorbs the excess dye. If so, it could be washed out after one cycle in the washer. Maybe they wouldn't work the second time....not worth the chance!
Old 03-08-2012, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by isabella View Post
Can you please tell me what a colour catcher is and where to get them ? I'm in Tasmania and have never heard of such a thing.
Isabella -- the ones that for one-time use and look alot like dryer sheets are called SHOUT Color Catchers and you can find them in the aisle with fabric softeners, laundry soap, prewashes, etc. I've only ever used one at a time and you just put it in with your load of wash. If any color runs, you will see it on the sheet when you empty the washer. Sometimes there will be alot of color, sometimes not much at all. How the color gets drawn to the catcher and not deposited on your other items is a mystery to me. Must be magic. I think these are the greatest invention ever and reasonably priced. I didn't know there was one that can be used over and over that looks like a wash cloth. I will look for that one--I assume in the same aisle??

I love this board. I'm learning so much!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:19 AM

I didn't think you could reuse the Shout color catchers. I always throw them out after using them once. There is a terry cloth one (Carbona brand) that says it's reusable up to 30 times, but how do you keep track?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
If they haven't picked up much color I reuse them. Sometimes I'll put in two used sheets if I have something I think will bleed a lot.
This is how I use them if they are still white I've reused them, but if there is color on them I just use once, and if I have a lot of fabric or several pieces I'll use two.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:37 PM

I reuse the color catchers as long as they are still white or light in color. I figure they can catch a littlte more color. I don't let them get too dark though. These are the Shout color catchers. The fabric color catchers can be used until they are fairly dark.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:26 PM

I use the color catchers that look like dryer sheets and I use them more than once - depending on how dark it gets in the wash.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:27 PM

It never occurred to me to reuse them.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:38 AM

I use co;or shout sheets had it not work on some of my GD new shirts called the company they sent me a otherwise only use them once20 CHECK AND TWO $5 coupons the lady said use two or three if you think something will bleed
Old 03-09-2012, 09:40 PM

I only use them once.