Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? about Featheweights >

? about Featheweights

? about Featheweights

Old 04-14-2011, 07:27 AM

I bought m ine on Ebay for $108.56 and with shipping it was like $134. I bought Betsy in January of this year. I love my FW. I too collect vintage machines and fabric but am beginning to downsize on machines simply for lack of space. However, my FW is not part of the downsizing!!!!!!

Betsy, 1948 FW. Found on Ebay.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]184096[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-184090.jpe  
Old 04-14-2011, 07:33 AM

I have several Featherweights. I love them all. I must say I have never been able to purchase one for the low prices you guys have, but they are great all the same. I take one on vacation, have one set up at my mothers house. (She gave it to me, but enjoys still keeping it there. LOL) I also have one that I take to any of the quilting gathering.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:04 AM

I have a 1938 black featherweight that I bought at a local repair shop and I love her and use her all the time. Beautiful straight stitch. Also just got a white 1964 one off e-bay, Haven't used her as much, but I am hooked on them and am now looking for one that I can give my sister as a treat
PS I have been told if you have more than one sewing machine in a room, it is a studio----and you don't have to clean a studio. So I have them in the sewing room, living room , dining room, bedroom-----
Old 04-14-2011, 08:18 AM

I want one from 1935, the year of my mother's birth. They are hard to come by though and are expensive. Most of them are in bad condition and it's rare you can find one with good decals.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:33 AM

How about model 221 vs 222. As far as I can tell, 222 has an open arm and much more expensive. How often is an open arm featherweight important? Words of wisdom please? Thanks!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:19 AM

I bought both of mine on e-bay for less than $300. they were both in great condition and worked like a dream. No matter where you get your machine, I would take it in and have it serviced.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:15 AM

Don't overlook the 301. It's known as the Featherweight's big sister. I have a FW and my mom has a 301. If I had to choose just one it'd probably be the 301. Maybe it's a sentimental thing since that's what I learned to sew with. That being said, I'm not giving up my FW! It's just too darn cute.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Banned

You only have eleven machines? Not nearly enough!

Dana
[quote=LyndaK]
Originally Posted by Late Bloomer
EXACTLY!!! How many machines can you use at a time anyway?

Well....in my little sweatshop...er sewing room....I can have two embroidery machines running doing embroidery and then a sewing machine for actually sewing/quilting....:)

I own two Singer featherweights. One is the 221 and my mom currently has it. The other is a 222K freearm and it's never leaving me. Handy little thing it is for collars, cuffs, sleeves...

I have two Singer 301's. One tan in a cabinet, the other a black longbed in a case. Don't ask. They just happened to get here. I like them too. They're fun to sew with and don't balk over seams of any kind so far.....

Then there are two treadles.....I like to restore them. Bought one very cheap at an auction and inherited another one a couple of days ago.

Have a Janome 11000 that I just love, and Janome 3160 QDC that travels to the trailer and classes with me, and Janome MB4 embroidery machine that is too much fun. Oh, and Janome 1600p on my quilting frame in the basement.

Also have a Babylock Imagine serger

Do I have too many machines? Yes. Am I getting rid of any of them? No. I like to collect them and I really enjoy the vintage machines. Note however, I do not have a large fabric stash. Guess I have a machine stash instead!:)
Old 04-14-2011, 11:56 AM

I have a 221 FW...love it..I just purchased a 1/4" foot for it; also am going to have the foot pedal changed...they (the shop) will keep the original 3 prong plug-in etc., but will make a new foot pedal (all one piece)...I will hang on to the original one...I am not fond of the original foot pedal..anyway, do love my FW though..:) I purchased it several years ago for approx $400..
Old 04-14-2011, 11:59 AM

i would like to have one too but haven't found one yet.