Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: about hand quilting..

I quilt in all directions. But I use a special thumb thimble to quilt away from myself and an "edged" thimble to quilt in the other directions. The "edge" on the thimble keeps the needle from slipping off the thimble.

http://www.quiltknit.com/NT202-TEDS-...LE_p_1397.html

http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?prod_id=8220

I put the needle straight down into the sandwich and then using the rocking motion, put 3-5 stitches on the needle before pulling it through.

I use a latex finger cot on the index finger of my sewing hand to help me hold onto the needle and pull it through the sandwich.

http://www.brucemedical.com/latfincot.html

I have an "ergonomic" quilting frame that tilts so that I don't stress my back, neck and arms. And I use an adjustable stenographer's chair, again, for the same reason.

I sit back, put on the TV or listen to audiobooks on my MP3 player, and enjoy the ride. Hours pass when I'm handquilting and I don't even notice...it seems like minutes because I'm in my own little "heaven".

I like it because you can do it almost anywhere. I dont use a hoop!

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who likes to quilt WITHOUT a hoop. We were taught that a hoop was vital but I just pin baste closely together and find I have much more control without a hoop because it is easier to manipulate from the bottom. I also use a leather thimble. But, for a large bed quilt, I just pay a Long Arm Quilter, LOL!

I use a lap hoop and I use between needles size 10 - I use a recessed thimble on my middle finger to push the needle through and pull the stitches up. I quilt right to left and downward towards myself. I do not stress about the size, etc of my sitches anymore - I make it fun now. I can sit for only about 2 hours the most at one time - otherwise I get bored. I have tried machine quilting once and it is okay but not for me. I admire the ones that do beautiful work with their machines. Handquilting is part of my therapy and I will never give this part up. :)

I was so glad to see this posting as I have been wanting to try hand quilting. Lots of information here.

Blog Entries
    I'm different from everyone who had the art of hand quilting mastered. I struggle with the "multiple stitches on the needle method". So, I use the Morgan Lap Stand, which has two hoops with supports in between them. You rest the bottom hoop on your lap and the upper hoop is closer to your eyes and is at a comfortable height to quilt.

My method? I quilt up and down. Up and down. Up an down. Nothing fancy. It may take longer and sometimes my stitches are a little out of line, but I find it's the easiest way for me to quilt. Must add: I have some issues with my hands and this method is gentle on them.

Here a couple pics of some stitches in the quilt I'm trying to finish. Darn binding! Gotta get to it. Been sitting here for days just waiting for me to get started on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I quilt towards me. It seems to work for me. Notice the for me part.

It might be your thimble. Using the tip of your finger should work but if the thimble doesn't fit properly, or if there is not a deep enough indentation in the tip to keep the needle from sliding, it could be laborious. Too, like any new skill, it just takes some practice and getting used to. I suspect that, if you hang in there, you will find the method that works best for you. I use a hoop and quilt towards myself but I've seen people quilt beautifully by pushing the needle away from themselves using their thumb!

I'm getting better at quilting in all directions, if I have to. Usually I'm quilting toward myself or right to left. I prefer using a rectangular PVC snap frame for your lap. With a little bit of arthritis in my middle finger, sometimes I switch the thimble to my index finger. Also, I've found that I use a smaller thimble in the winter time - my fingers seem to swell in the summer heat.

I too, handquilt and find it so relaxing. In fact, I stink at quilt tops (still trying oh so hard to master even and perfect blocks!!) but I do love handquilting. I also quilt toward me with a metal thimble. I have seen countless women who stitch towards them AND away from them & have tried and tried. So far, I have not mastered it. I think if you practice and don't put so much effort into it, just relax, you will find out if you truly enjoy it.

Hey, don't worry about "stab" stitching. I quilted for at least 10 years before I put more than two stitches at a time on the needle. I have some work I did stab stitching and it is probably the best quilting I ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by dgreen
    I was reading another post by all the people who love hand quilting. I was very surprised at the number of people who say it is relaxing. I did some hand quilting and it was exhausting. My right hand became so cramped I don't know how anyone could enjoy it. Could some of you hand quilters give some tips, or maybe even post a few pics on how you actually hold the needle and push it. Do you make your stitches sideways (needle quilting parallel to your body), or toward you (the direction a sewing machine would be sewing)? Would really like some teaching. Thanks!
    It is much easier to show someone that tell them. I use a #9
    between or quilting needle. I start at the top of a block and
    quilt down towards the bottom (towards me). Any other route
    seems difficult for me. As the quilting pattern takes a turn I
    turn my hoop..so I can still quilt down towards me. After you
    get to going you kinda do a rocking motion with the needle
    as you put it down through your 'sandwich' and back up. Your
    finger under the quilt helps you do this. I find I'm putting 4 or 5
    stitches on my needle before I pull it through. I'm sure this
    all sounds pretty confusing, but maybe you can salvage something helpful out of it

Blog Entries
    I don't hand quilt but wanted to say I like your quilt and I thing you did a great job! :-)

It takes alot of practise. 20 minutes a day to start with. I have hand quilted for 30 yrs

Gal
    I am fairly new to quilting and have tried both machine and hand quilting, I love hand better. I use a 16inch hoop curl up in a big chair and away I go. I do not use any thimbles at all, I use my thumb nail and push away from myself. I use Gutermann quilting thread and No 9 Betweens quilting needles. They are a bit hard to thread but I cut the thread on an angle and do not wet the thread but keep it stiff to help get it though the needle.I have tried the way everyone says with the the rocking method but my way works for me, I have done queen size quilts this way. I go for even stitches as much as possible rather than small and over a period of time I have managed to get smaller stitches. I am not too hung up about size though a I make mostly country style quilts and the uneven hand stitches I can get away with!! I did not know I would like hand quilting as much as I do, until I tried it, and now I am hooked!!!!!!

Gal

i quilt using a floor frame - about 24x36. It gives me the freedom to put one hand under the quilt and then i hold the needle in the other hand. I've got to have a thimble - i use a leather thimble w/ a metal coin. Never have managed to get used to a metal thimble like granny used.

Blog Entries
    I can hand quilt in any direction towards me, away from me and sideways and I do it on the four boards frame setup in my basement.

Blog Entries
    I use a floor frame & lap quilt, no hoop.
    I pretty much do as CloverPatch & Pamela Artman do.
    I just find a comfy zone.
    :-) :-)

I am going to follow this thread closely. Thanks for asking the question. Now I don't have to. I am going to try hand quilting while I'm at Mayo. I thought that I would do some portable quilting this time. There's alot of hurry up to appt. & then wait. I figured that hand quilting would fill the wait time.

I just love all kinds of hand work, knitting, crocheting, embroidery hand piecing, and quilting. Way back when Simply Quilts was on TLC, they were taking about quilting and Alex said that it was good to learn to quilt with your thumb. Your thumb has the most muscles in it,or at least the most strength. So I decided I'd thumb quilt. I HATE thimbles and use one only when I quilt. I use those black leather ones that have a little metal tip in them, but don't use the tip as I use the flat part of my thumb. I quilt away from myself, as is the case when thumb quilting. I also use one of those yellow plastic and metal Needle Pullers to pull the tip of my needle through the fabric. And I use a smaller hoop as it's more comfortable for me than a large one.
    I think the theory of thumb quilting is so you can quilt toward you with your fingers, and away from yourself with the thumb and not have to turn your work as much. Does this help or give anyone new ideas of how to quilt?
    Janis

Blog Entries
    I learned to hand quilt by using the Aunt Becky method from You Tube video. There is also a lady from Australia called Thimblelady who says your fingers will not hurt with her method. You can google up Thimblelady or go to You Tube and take a look. I have seen her thimbles at quilt shows and also her books.

I quilt left handed with my thumb and right handed with my middle finger. I found that if I used my regular leather thimble on my thumb all I had to do to make it fit well is cut the length shorter.

I love to hand quilt...it is very relaxing for me. I have a longarm quilting machine, which I also LOVE, but I keep a hand quilting project for tv at night to work on and sit with DH. I quilt without a hoop and quilt towards myself. I tried the hoops, but never could get the right hold on it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dgreen
    I was reading another post by all the people who love hand quilting. I was very surprised at the number of people who say it is relaxing. I did some hand quilting and it was exhausting. My right hand became so cramped I don't know how anyone could enjoy it. Could some of you hand quilters give some tips, or maybe even post a few pics on how you actually hold the needle and push it. Do you make your stitches sideways (needle quilting parallel to your body), or toward you (the direction a sewing machine would be sewing)? Would really like some teaching. Thanks!
    Am left handed and work any way the stencil dictates, use thimble on thumb to push needle through, rock needle in several times before pulling through. Don't be aggresive---relax and don't hump shoulders over work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2