Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: About those bags..

I never had any luck with the space bags either. They would hold for a short while then they lose the vacuum. I would never buy them again

I use a large heavy duty trash bag, hold the top tight, vaccum the air out and twist the top real tight, put on a zip tie, and it lasts at least 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by aorlflood
    I received a Space Bag sample to use. The vacuum didn't hold for me. It held for a while, but then seemed to lose it.

Just my 2 cents worth...YMMV.
    I moved recently and used them a lot for clothing and fabric that was stored for 6 months. I did have a couple that did not have a good seal, but for the most part - they worked beautifully.

NO Wrinkles it is like vaccum packed food dosent spoil and there is no moisture so no wrinkles I love them... great for extra blankets ans sweaters in the summer
    and awsome for yarn...

I use clear leaf bags for my storage of things that I want to keep. The rule in our house... clear is a keeper... I don't trust my DH to open opaques bags to check them!

When my daughter went away to school, we put sweaters and a puffy warm coat in a bag. I lay on it to get the air out and she put the twist tie on. THEN they fit in the suitcase with lots of room besides!

I just use very large ziploc bags. Don't overfill, zip leaving a small space, Sit on bag (from bottom), when air is out, finish zipping. Friend told me about doing this years ago before we went on an extended cruise & all your bags were x-rayed. Saved my clothes from being jumbled by inspectors as they could see nothing sinister & left my undies alone!

Ok, so this may sound like more of a hassle than its worth, but it worked for me. I loved the concept of the space bags, but when I went to reuse the cheaper ones, the seal wasn't very good at all. What I did was filled the bag then zipped it shut. I covered the entire zipper area with one large strip of duct tape. I then suctioned out the air with the vacuum and covered the valve with another 2 pieces of duct tape. Worked great for getting a couple more uses out of the cheap ones.

Blog Entries
    I have some that lose the seal after a day or two and some that seal and hold great. I noticed the ones that aren't good are not as thick plastic and has no one-way check vale in the air slot. Of course the good ones cost almost twice as much, DH bought them at Lowes. With these you get what you pay for.

Dee
    I didn't care for the space bags. I use heavy duty trash bags. Works for me.

I have used them and like how they save space.

Quote Originally Posted by fmd36
    Considering buying those storage bags that you vaccum the air out of to flatten. Have heard the items inside come out with incredible wrinkles. I want to put polar fleece yardage inside to store...desperately need the room in closet. Any experiences or suggestions appreciated before I spend the $'s on these.
    I use space bags on blankets, quilts and pillows. They work well and clear up a lot of space in my closet. When I release the air - they fluff up - no wrinkles. I also use space bags for my clothes when I travel for my suit case. I must say - to pull out slacks from a space bag with no wrinkles sold me on them - I went out and bought more! Keep your eyes open - they are on sale at various stores, sometimes they give a free bag in a box, etc.

Love love love the space bags.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3