Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? about thread for big stitch quilting >

? about thread for big stitch quilting

? about thread for big stitch quilting

Old 01-31-2014, 06:29 AM

Default ? about thread for big stitch quilting

I can't find a good color selection for perle cotton, is embroidery thread a good substitute? If so, how many strands would you use? I would appreciate any thoughts or experiences with embroidery thread for big stitch quilting.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:43 AM

I do a fair bit of big stitch for a charity group and if you are using embroidery thread I would use 3 strands but of a fairly short length-say 18". See how it looks and if it seems a little too much then decrease or increase as needed. You will know in the first go round how it looks. We also use crochet cotton and some are thick enough to use a single strand.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Certainly you can use other threads. The reason behind perle one strand thread is, it is easier. With embroider floss you have to sometimes pull the multiple threads to get them to lay flat. Use what works for you but make sure it is not so thick that you have trouble popping the knots through to the sandwich.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Freckles48 View Post
I do a fair bit of big stitch for a charity group and if you are using embroidery thread I would use 3 strands but of a fairly short length-say 18". See how it looks and if it seems a little too much then decrease or increase as needed. You will know in the first go round how it looks. We also use crochet cotton and some are thick enough to use a single strand.
Thanks, I did look at the crochet thread too, but I could not find a color that would look good. I was surprised by the small selection at HL.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Certainly you can use other threads. The reason behind perle one strand thread is, it is easier. With embroider floss you have to sometimes pull the multiple threads to get them to lay flat. Use what works for you but make sure it is not so thick that you have trouble popping the knots through to the sandwich.
I was concerned about embroidery thread because of the multiple threads. HL had such a small selection of colors of perle cotton a (white,beige and black) and not many colors of crochet threads either. I need a dark grey or dark blue grey and I am worried that embroidery thread maybe the only choice I have. Of course, I have a gift card for HL and was wanting to use that, as these are practice pieces to see if I can do this.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes you have to look all over God's creation to find the right thread. HL doesn't have a large selection as far as the hand sewing dept goes.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:56 AM

There are lots of color choices for perle cotton on Joanns online, although I don't see much variety in the store.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:30 AM

i am suddenly wildly thankful for our little shop here in london called "thread and eye."

they have a massive perle cotton selection. shop on line?

http://www.threadneye.com/

aileen
Old 01-31-2014, 11:09 AM

Threadart has perle cotton #8 on spools.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:23 AM

Tyr finding a store that does counted cross stitch, hardanger, etc. They will carry a larger variety of perle cotton thread. Around here there are stores especially for that.