Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
??? about thread stash & bobbins >

??? about thread stash & bobbins

??? about thread stash & bobbins

Old 07-16-2011, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
I have gobs of bobbins! I use a bobbin for every color that I sew with. I too hate to cover up thread on a bobbin. I got these do-hickeys called Bobbin mates that hold the bobbin to the top of the spool of thread and I got these things called Bobbin wraps that go around the bobbin and keep the thread from unraveling.
I like to have a bobbin for every colour I sew with too, but I do a lot of sewing besides quilting. For piecing I stick with black, white or tan so far, but for the actual quilting it will vary....might be very colourful depending on the top.

auntpiggylpn, I like your storage system! Haven't seen the bobbin mates but will make a point of looking for them, this is very cool! Thanks.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by neeng
Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
I have gobs of bobbins! I use a bobbin for every color that I sew with. I too hate to cover up thread on a bobbin. I got these do-hickeys called Bobbin mates that hold the bobbin to the top of the spool of thread and I got these things called Bobbin wraps that go around the bobbin and keep the thread from unraveling.
I like to have a bobbin for every colour I sew with too, but I do a lot of sewing besides quilting. For piecing I stick with black, white or tan so far, but for the actual quilting it will vary....might be very colourful depending on the top.

auntpiggylpn, I like your storage system! Haven't seen the bobbin mates but will make a point of looking for them, this is very cool! Thanks.
I got both the Bobbin Mates and Bobbin Wraps from Clotilde.com
Old 07-16-2011, 08:06 PM

I bought some Bobbin Mates, but they don't fit the kind of thread I have (I think it is the Connecting Thread, but the spools aren't marked.) I thought I would be all organized with these, and stop losing the bobbins from the spools, but that plan fell through. I'll have to try something else. :(
Old 07-16-2011, 08:11 PM

Thanks for the info. I had never heard of the bobbin wraps, and was glad to see a picture of them. Gotta tell you though, those things look all for the world like el cheapo kids ponytail holders that are a ton for a dollar at the Dollar Tree.

Not trying to snag business from anyone mind you, just thinking and wondering if the ponytail holders would work. Hmmm. Wonder if the bobbins would fit in a box with the holders on them? Not the bobbin mates, the bobbin wraps.

I've got a nice stash of thread, but a lot of it is poly and/or rayon for embroidery. I don't have a lot of cotton and I ordered a couple of assortments from CT a while back. I'm enough of a newbie to think I can quilt with the same threads used in piecework. If I tried to match thread with my fabric stash, I would need some of every color they sell, which is why I'm trying to figure out what I NEED and not what I WANT. That's a hard thing for me!

I've still got tons and tons to learn and I appreciate everyone's help and advice. I enjoy learning from all of you!! :lol:

'Night all,
M&M
Old 07-16-2011, 08:22 PM

Someone else on here a while ago had mentioned storing the bobbin on a dowel with the thread spool....sort of like the Bobbin Mates. I have some small dowels, may try this approach then....just make the dowel a little longer than my usual spools, so the bobbin fits on top safely.

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
I bought some Bobbin Mates, but they don't fit the kind of thread I have (I think it is the Connecting Thread, but the spools aren't marked.) I thought I would be all organized with these, and stop losing the bobbins from the spools, but that plan fell through. I'll have to try something else. :(
Old 07-16-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by draggin_behind
Thanks for the info. I had never heard of the bobbin wraps, and was glad to see a picture of them. Gotta tell you though, those things look all for the world like el cheapo kids ponytail holders that are a ton for a dollar at the Dollar Tree.

Not trying to snag business from anyone mind you, just thinking and wondering if the ponytail holders would work. Hmmm. Wonder if the bobbins would fit in a box with the holders on them? Not the bobbin mates, the bobbin wraps.

I've got a nice stash of thread, but a lot of it is poly and/or rayon for embroidery. I don't have a lot of cotton and I ordered a couple of assortments from CT a while back. I'm enough of a newbie to think I can quilt with the same threads used in piecework. If I tried to match thread with my fabric stash, I would need some of every color they sell, which is why I'm trying to figure out what I NEED and not what I WANT. That's a hard thing for me!

I've still got tons and tons to learn and I appreciate everyone's help and advice. I enjoy learning from all of you!! :lol:

'Night all,
M&M
I looked everywhere for the small ponytail holders. That is exactly what the bobbin wraps are. but I couldn't find the little ones