Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt >

Accuquilt

Accuquilt

Old 11-25-2019, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

I tend to buy the die I need when I want that shape. I like the BOB dies the best. I get more use out of the alphabet dies then I thought I would. I got dies as gifts from family for years. Still do if I put it on my list. Most had no idea what it was they were buying. LOL
Old 11-25-2019, 02:22 PM

I have the Go Baby and love it! There seems to be more and more dies available that will work with the Baby.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:50 PM

I have the hand crank Go and love it. I have some physical issues that are not getting better and I sliced myself with the rotary cutter bad enough to give me a real good scare, so I'm coming at it with the mindset that I will use the Accuquilt for everything I possibly can (and hopefully keep all my fingers while making all the quilts I want!)

I tried to give some thought to what dies I'd use the most based on what I like to make already and what I want to make within the reasonable future. If I liked applique, I can see how it would be easy to spend a ton on dies that may not get used much!

I started out buying strip dies in the sizes I used most. Strips are used on their own often enough and the strip dies have lines printed to align for cross cutting, so they are pretty versatile to start out with. You can always cut the strips further with a rotary cutter if you need to. I've added mostly squares and half and quarter square triangles in several sizes as I found patterns I wanted to make. I like traditional quilts, I like to make Bonnie Hunter patterns with tons of small pieces, and I don't really enjoy applique. I've bought the log cabin die and double wedding ring die since I want to make both of those quilts. I know the log cabin isn't especially hard to cut when compared to other things, but I'm currently working on a queen size memory quilt in denim and heavy pants materials and that top alone was worth the cost of the die for me. I'll probably buy the storm at sea die as well once it's no longer new enough to be excluded from their sales. I would have never attempted hand cutting a double wedding ring, but I'm planning one in king size now that I have the die.

I am another person that doesn't care much for the cubes because they often only cut 1 shape per die rather than multiples. If you are the type of quilter who would enjoy them, they look to be pretty handy. Out of curiosity I've looked at a couple of the cubes against the dies I already have and I'm really only missing some odd shapes that I haven't needed for anything I want to do. Those pieces might be important to you though!

There are always sales of some kind going on at the accuquilt site. I also am not shy about reviewing anything I've purchased since that earns 'points' for their reward program. The app is great too, especially if you shop for dies outside of the site. It helps keep track of what you have already, but you'll need to manually add anything you don't buy from Accuquilt's site.

I think I've got nearly anything I'd ever want to cut, but I'd love to see what other people are finding to be useful! I have actually bought a die based on something I read here and I'm happy someone shared that info.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:16 PM

Amy,

You can add any die to the app. It’s not exclusive to AQ purchases. Simply scan the bar code with your phone. I buy from the LQS. Easy to add.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Rhonda K; 11-25-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:22 PM

Cary W--right now (through this weekend I think) Accuquilt is having a sale on their cutters and dies--it's their big annual sale and probably best of their sales. Think both the Go and Go Big are reduced by $150, and dies 20%off, Qubes $30 off.
I love my GoBig (although it's getting either repaired or replaced right now. I started with the strip die bundle and still use at least one of those strip dies every single quilt I make, especially the 2.5". I've found that beyond the strip bundle, I tend to buy dies as I need them or their prices gets slashed so much I can't pass up. Be sure to register them on the Accuquilt website so you have a complete list to avoid duplication (although that does sometimes happen)Also, be sure to check out the website for learning videos--which sometimes you have to put into the search box to get (i.e. to cut bias binding).
Old 11-26-2019, 04:50 AM

Another huge fan here of the Accuquilt system! I have both the manual and did purchase a Go Big because of the great sale price but haven't set it up yet. I bought several dies when JoAnn's was getting out of them for 50 percent off, including the Go machine itself. I don't have any of the cubes because I have so many duplicates with the individual dies I have. I like the strip cutters but if you like to do applique, I their appliques, especially if you also have an embroidery machine since most have a pattern you can download for free to place and stitch around your design. Definitely register with them online and download the app to your phone, especially if you start collecting several die or want to start making the patterns they offer since it's very easy to start forgetting what you actually have after a while!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-27-2019 at 12:41 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 11-26-2019, 04:53 AM

I have the hand crank Go and I love it. I had a hard time justifying that purchase. In fact, I retuned it once. Lol
I bought it years ago mainly for strips and I feel that alone has paid for it. My strips never seemed to be straight..more like a “V”. I still use the strips the most. I am thinking about making “Omigosh” by Susan Garman and that Go will be a Godsend.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:55 AM

i just bought the big go electric so haven't used it much but what i did i like .
Old 11-26-2019, 06:11 AM

OMG I read each of your comments and I need help. I'm 76 and may not be quilting too many more years. I wished for a Go Big but thought it was too expensive at my years left . So want Go Big , and this is where my confusion overwhelmed me . I was on their official site. There are so many packages of the same models, starter package , and several more . I think I just want a Go . How do I choose which package ? Then I really got a dilemma . On Amazon , there is only $100 difference between the Big and the Go. So I thought well of course , for an extra $100 , I should get the Big . They also have an Accuquilt Go Fabric Cutter for only $209 , which seems to be a ridiculously low price . How do I figure my best buy . The Big says starter set and the mat is 6x12 for $459 and has a flying geese die . Sorry this is so lengthy , but this is my confusion . Open to all opinions you offer . Thanks .
Old 11-26-2019, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by rvsfan View Post
OMG I read each of your comments and I need help. I'm 76 and may not be quilting too many more years. I wished for a Go Big but thought it was too expensive at my years left . I thought well of course , for an extra $100 , I should get the Big. Open to all opinions you offer . Thanks .
What type of quilt do you like to do? Quilt block? If you want to make quilts using the BOB dies, you need the electric model. For the $100 additional investment, it is worth it imho. Think of how many times you will use it. It is pennies per cost.

The cubes are nice for storage. However, if you want to power cut shapes consider the individual matching die shapes.