Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
AccuQuilt >

AccuQuilt

AccuQuilt

Old 11-05-2020, 02:00 PM

Default AccuQuilt

I use and enjoy AccuQuilt but I'm wondering when they're going to slow down on releasing new dies? It does save so much time. I love it now that they take PayPal for payment and PayPal has a pay over time (2 months). It's great with all these new releases. It's easy to spend more than anticipated.

My current question. Having so many 10" precuts has anyone thought of using the bowl cozy with them? You'd loose the seam allowance but you'd get the rounded edge and dart cuts. A very scan 1/4" could be used so as not to loose too much size.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:55 PM

You must have the Go Big! I love my Accuquilt Go! It is in use almost daily. I know what you mean about new die releases. Seems like at least on a month right now. Deciding when to say know can be difficult but that is exactly what I am doing right now, saying no to the last few they have had. I am finding myself looking at used dies more often as they are more affordable. In less than a year I have close to 40 dies to work with and that is enough for some time to come. Now that doesn't mean I will stop watching, you never know when that new die might call my name. I do wish the Go! could cut a 10" square.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

If there is a die or dies, that is the shape I need to make the quilt I want to make then I buy it. I consider it part of the cost of the quilt like the pattern, fabric, and thread. The new dies so far this year aren't ones I want to have. My last die was the Cleopatra's Fan die. It was so much easier and faster using the die then the templates.
Old 11-06-2020, 07:03 AM

I love my Accuquilt, but I have a tendency to buy only general purpose dies. I have 8” and 12” Qubes so I have all the standard pieces in 2,3,4, and 6” finished sizes plus a number of strip dies. I bought the 7” Drunkard’s Path, and I have a 4” tumbler, but BOBs just don’t excite me. Maybe because I have so so so many quilts I want to make that use what I have. I have one set of holiday appliqués that I got on a screaming good used deal, plus a set of lower case letters I intend on using on all the specific baby quilts I make from now on. Ummm, maybe I really do have an addiction LOL! My quilting precision has increased dramatically. I guess I just wasn’t a good cutter.
Old 11-06-2020, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

I bought the AccuQuilt Studio and a bunch of strip dies, most of which I use regularly. I don't plan on buying more.
Old 11-06-2020, 08:06 AM

I love using my accu-quilt for cutting projects. I would use yardage and cut WOF strips instead of trying to make layer cakes fit. The other option is to use scraps and make a four patch. Then cut on the die. I watched the tutorial for the bowl. Are two layers of batting necessary? I would trim out the batting along the seam line to reduce bulk. it only take a few minutes and gives a better result.

There are templates available to fit layer cakes.

https://winner-designs.myshopify.com...-10-layer-cake

A little bit of inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX1IO-PuQyc

PS: I don't use these in the micro-wave. They are used after wards or for eating ice-cream.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

To test the batting for the bowls, toss a piece of the batting in the microwave for 3 min or more. If it gets hot (or burns) don't use it. I have had 100% cotton burn after one minute. 80/20 never got hot. I test each batting before I use it for bowl cozies.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
I love my Accuquilt, but I have a tendency to buy only general purpose dies. I have 8” and 12” Qubes so I have all the standard pieces in 2,3,4, and 6” finished sizes plus a number of strip dies. I bought the 7” Drunkard’s Path, and I have a 4” tumbler, but BOBs just don’t excite me. Maybe because I have so so so many quilts I want to make that use what I have. I have one set of holiday appliqués that I got on a screaming good used deal, plus a set of lower case letters I intend on using on all the specific baby quilts I make from now on. Ummm, maybe I really do have an addiction LOL! My quilting precision has increased dramatically. I guess I just wasn’t a good cutter.
Now I am the exact opposite I love the BOB dies. I have found that they frequently have pieces I need for other projects and give me the perfect blocks. I have 3/4 of the circle that indicate I can finish any block they have out. The BOB allow me to make many of my favorite blocks and explore many new designs. When buying BOB dies I try to be sure they are dies I will use again. There have been a few new dies that were of interest to me but I only bought the one package. The last 3 were of interest but not enough interest to even consider spending the money.
Old 11-06-2020, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

I will buy a BOB die, I most of them.
Old 11-06-2020, 04:52 PM

I'm getting ready to do a quilt from RuthAnn Barry's 3D pattern book--it's all equilateral triangles. So ordered the Accuquilt 4" triangles on Wed and got it today! Realize I live just 4 hours from thte headquarters--but wow! I'm thilled since I'm worried I may not have bought enough fabric yesterday! great service.