Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt Users? >

Accuquilt Users?

Accuquilt Users?

Old 01-11-2015, 08:25 AM

I love mine and do not know what I did without it. Actually, I had some pretty wonky quilts before and most ended up in the UFO pile. Love the 2 1/2 inch strip cutter. I thought I had a lot of dies but you put me to shame. Must go shopping today and see what I am missing.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:53 AM

I bought dies that are sized to all fit together, specifically for using up my scraps. I bought blocks that finish at 3" and 6", and rectangles that finish at 1.5x3 and 3x6. I also have the blocks that finish at 4"....so between all of those I can build all sorts of variations of 12" blocks for a nice scrappy quilt, and also hopefully cut the maximum number of pieces from odd-shaped scraps.

I also like the rag dies, I bought the circle one and will probably get the square rag die eventually too. I will NEVER make another rag quilt without using the die cutter!

I haven't bought any strip dies yet - I have the big June Tailor mat that cuts 2-1/2" strips and so far that suits all my strip-making needs.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:54 AM

I love my Studio. I have bought Go dies, Studio dies, and Sizzix dies. I have most of the strip sizes in mostly the Go format, I have rectangles, and just used my 2" square Go die for a mystery quilt I am working on (love it). I have used my clamshell and cat dies. I can't wait to use the owl die as well as the blazing star.

I would also recommend picking up a copy of Ebony Love's book, "The Big Little Book of Fabric Die Cutting Tips." She describes the different dies and other things for using the machines and dies. It has been a help to me.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:26 PM

I have all the strip dies and they are so useful because you can cut strips, turn them sideways and cut squares or rectangles. This saves me so much time! I have been collecting dies for 4 years and have quite a nice collection. If you majpkenquiltsnwith charm packs you would want the 5" square die. As you go along you will see what you need. I have purchased many from EBay, you can find great prices there and they are brand new, usually free shipping.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

Doesn't everyone that owns a Accuquilt machine check the Accuquilt website? New dies, new info, new products, new patterns, and all the sales are all put there first. BOB dies are right there easy to see.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:39 PM

I would go slow on purchasing your dies. Find what works for you and what you like to do. If you like to piece, the book "The Thrifty Quilter" by Anne Wiens is very informative. She lists 4 dies that are used to make 80 blocks. She has a system to organize your scraps and keeps everything very simple. I have several BOB dies, strip dies, and a few applique dies. I have not used all of them yet but plan on putting all of them to work this year!
Old 01-11-2015, 11:31 PM

I would buy as you need. I purchased a selection when I purchased mine and have not used some 2 years later. Wish I had purchased when I needed them as they are very expensive.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:24 AM

For the most part, I like making the patchwork type quilts - so I did buy the 1.5 inch & 2.5 inch strips, the 2.5 inch square that will cut 12 at once. (yes you can take the strip die and reposition the fabric strips to make the smaller squares - but wanted this one and it was on sale.) And I bought both sizes of the tumblers, and hexagons were a must. And I got the triangles that go with the hexi's -- again because there was a sale. And then there are the 5 inch double square and the list goes on. I did buy one with circles - had this wild hair that I wanted to make a quilt with yo-yos, so bought the die and those little Clover plastic things that help you make them.

When they have a sale I check to see what is new and what I may need. I did buy the Double Wedding Ring because that quilt is on my bucket list and again it was on a very good sale.

I don't wait until I need it, because then I either can't find it, or it is not on sale. And I know what kind of quilts that I like to make. Also, Accuquilt has you accumulate points for each item you buy, then you can use the points for an additional discount. Even when they have a sale and you buy over a specific amount you don't pay shipping.

So the best thing to do is sit down, look at the dies available and decide which ones fit your style. Make a list and buy them as you can afford or need them. No reason to hurry. They do retire dies from time to time - but that is rare and they give you plenty of warning.

Enjoy your cutter!
Old 01-12-2015, 06:45 AM

Ok, die owners....I have had GO for 3 yrs and have many dies....found another duplicate yesterday! Dang! I have a notebook of available dies, and I have checked off ones I have, obviously not up to date!........have all on racks by size of die, on selves of repurposed entertainment center...still in original pkg, unless that ripped, then just die.....when I want one, it's like a treasure hunt.....I look at label for pic of what it is,..is there a better way? Maybe by what they are...squares, tris, BOBs,.....etc. it's getting worse than keeping stash under control!!!!!!! TIA for ideas
Old 02-16-2015, 08:56 PM

I read all of the wonderful reviews and I think I want an AccuQuilt, but when I watch you tubes, and go the sites, all I can see is having to cut fabric down to size and a lot of wasted material. Please share with me what I am missing so that I won't be able to live without one.