Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt vs rulers? >

Accuquilt vs rulers?

Accuquilt vs rulers?

Old 01-21-2016, 09:04 AM

I love my go cutter. Best investment I ever made. Wonderful for strips, triangles and squares. Also very useful for cutting and organizing scraps. I do not find it hard to turn at all
Old 01-21-2016, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I love cutting fabric. I find it quite relaxing and zen-like actually. It's one of the most enjoyable parts of quilting for me, with lots of building anticipation of the good time to come making the new quilt. I have no interest in any kind of 'power cutter' so can easily understand why the OP doesn't find hers a good fit for her personality and style. I'm not a food processor type person either. lol
Do you live in Iowa? If so, I have lots of fabric you can cut. LOL
Old 01-21-2016, 09:56 AM

I have an AccuQuilt Go that set on the shelf for several years. I was about ready to get rid of it when I fell and broke my right arm, badly. Since I am right-handed, I found this really has affected how I cut and how long I can cut. My Go! has really saved me. I am able to cut pieces quickly and accurately. I especially love the strip cutters as stretching across the WOF is really tiresome to me.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
I don't know that I would use one much for odd shapes, but if it would work for strips and squares from scrap that could be a nice timesaver and hand saver.
I have a Shilouette Cameo that I use for "shapes" that I might use for applique, or circles, etc. But the Accuquilt GoBIG allows me cut strips, squares, rectangles, diamonds, etc. My Cameo requires that the fabric has a fuseable on it and can only cut one layer. The GoBIG allows me to cut up to 6 layers. I was cutting 2.5" squares for my beginner students to use to figure out their 1/4" seam and I whipped out about 120 squares in about 10 minutes--it seriously took longer for me to plug it in and set up than the cutting! And I had almost no waste.

My shoulder is thanking me for the GoBIG-it used to be a session of cutting meant no sewing or LA for at least a couple days rest. I got mine on sale-yes it's expensive, but I figure that it basically isn't outrageous when you compare the cost of fabric.

I can't wait to find time to take my sack of weird scrapes and make into strips and squares.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:24 PM

I love my Accuquilt Go. I think my next big purchase will be the GoBig. I've been saving for quite some time for it.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:35 PM

I have thought about getting the AccuQuilt Electric because I have hand and wrist problems. I don't have much space for storage so I make due with my June Tailor shape cut rulers.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I have thought about getting the AccuQuilt Electric because I have hand and wrist problems. I don't have much space for storage so I make due with my June Tailor shape cut rulers.
The GoBIG actually doesn't take much space if you fold it up and set (under a table, etc). I'm still trying to figure out best way to store the dies, though.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:08 AM

When I first got my Go I was concerned that I made a mistake. It was hard to turn and it seemed to cut like a rotary cutter with an old blade. But then I read the directions and some QB members hints. I start by ironing my fabric with starch, then check for the direction of the fabric - it cuts better one direction over the other, and you cut multiple layers of fabric at a time. With each use it got easier to turn.

I love that I can cut a whole quilt worth of binding in one pass through. A friend and I cut out all the pieces for a King size DWR quilt in about 2 hours, that included all the prep work too. I do have the die that will cut 9 2.5 in. squares at one time and that is very nice. I could make the same pieces with the 2.5 in. strip die, but it was on sale and makes it very quick.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 01-23-2016 at 12:10 AM.