Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Accuquilt...is it worth it?

I bought the Go this year and certainly aren't sorry I did. I am asking for die sets etc for gifts from The Hubs and the kids.

I have RA and have the Go. It does take a little strength to turn the crank, but if you cut less material it is not bad. I went to a quilt show and demonstrated how you can cut alot of different shapes with just the strips. I would recommend that you get one. As the others said watch the sales on dies online. I have gotten several on ebay for really good prices.

Blog Entries
    There are sellers who offer the dies for much less money then stores or the Accuquilt site. Not sure if I can name one here but if you PM me I'll be glad to find the info for you.

I love my Go. I don't use it as often as I hand cut but, when I need it I really need it, especially for strips.

I have the Alto's QuiltCut 2, and I love it!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    i love mine. it is totally worth it
    Patski
    always learning

Blog Entries
    I'm so glad that I discovered that there is an adapter (and tray) that allows me to cut my Go dies on the Studio cutter. I have RA and this has saved me so much time and energy. It's necessary to buy the large tray and adapter for the Studio, if you want to cut your Go strips on it. Then you can even cut two different 10" dies with one turn ( a much easier task than with the Accuquilt Go. The Studio or Grande Mark cutter (same equipment, except for the stickers), are frequently on sale for $399.00.
    "I can do all things in Him Who strengthens me."

Blog Entries
    You don't cover the die with fabric. I have about 1/4" fabric waste around each die. I cut the fabric to fit the blades not the die. I mark 1/4" around the blade. The new dies have two color foam but I still use a Sharpie and draw the 1/4". I don't have any miss cuts so I save more fabric. I draw a line down the middle and diagonal across the shapes too. I can get lots of different shapes from one die. I try all kinds of cuts with the Go. Layer strips on the strip die horizontal and cut squares, you get lots of squares on the long strip die.
    Got fabric?

Some friends bought one together--each paid for 1/2 the cost and will share the dies. I know they will help each other with cutting, also. If you have a friend whom you trust to really share, that could be a good partnership. froggyintexas

I have the GO and I love it. Even though I have pain in my left hand It is so much worth the money to use this. It has saved time as well as pain in the hands and beck standing at a table to cut.Just make sure you get the dies you want in the whole system you buy. The plastic holder you buy to hold your dies dont buy them through Accucut because the kind you buy at WallMart in the kitchen dept to hold pan lids works just as well but maybe 1/3 the cost. You wont be sorry. DawnMarieodya
    peanutbrittle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnmarieodya View Post
    The plastic holder you buy to hold your dies dont buy them through Accucut because the kind you buy at WallMart in the kitchen dept to hold pan lids works just as well but maybe 1/3 the cost. You wont be sorry. DawnMarieodya
    I thought the Accuquilt rack wasn't worth it until I got one. It's very sturdy and holds the dies perfectly. I have bought several more.
    Got fabric?

I have the Accuquilt and I love it. I don't have all the dies that I want, but I am gradually getting there. Gift certificates for dies for birthday, Christmas, etc. help to build the collection.

I just ordered almost $1000 worth of dies and the Accuquilt Go! from "Quiltinaday.com" when they had their birthday sale. I am anxious to get it so I can start using it. I also got onto eBay and have found some dies that are much more reasonable than in my LQS and on-line stores.
    MistyMarie

I love my Go, tho the dies are expensive so it is a matter of being practical and buying ones that I know I will use consistently. The strip cutters and half square triangles also the Dresden plate cutter is probably my most used dies. I found that occasionally on e-bay there are some good buys. The rag die is very much on my list, but will have to wait a while as a few bills have managed to get in the way. :-)
    "The manner of giving is worth more than the gift"
    (Pierre Corneeille)

http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...565342FC5A.png

Taimi, I bought the GO Cutter and 3 extra dies, but I found out that you can cut the 2-1/2 " strips, then lay them across the strip die and cut them into 2-1/2" squares! also, on some of the other dies you can fold fabric and lay it over half of the die and cut different strips. I got a booklet (about 10 pgs) with numerous patterns to make with the dies that I hadn't thought of.
    Another tip: I found Go cutter dies on clearance at nancysnotions.com = watch for the free shipping ads on that site.

Blog Entries
    My local sewing n vac shop has one with tons of dies. They train you to use it and will let you rent it for use in their shop for minimal price. Can't pass that deal up. One gal was cutting squares out for the rag quilt where it cuts the edges in little snips for you. When I watched do that I realized I would never be able to cut those without this device because my hands would not hold up and would be aching for weeks probably. I would never have known about this rental if I hadn't enter a jelly roll race at this shop last week. What a treat.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

I LOVE mine. I have the Studio that i bought on sale. I worried about spending that much money. I dont have a lot of dies ,YET. I did buy the 1-1/2" strip cutter for the studio and the Sunbonet Sue die for the go.(I use it on the Studio) I cut enough peice for a King size log cabin quilt and enough peices for 2 twin size bed quilts in one afternoon. Did I say I LOVED it. I would still be cutting just the strips if I was doing it by hand. I have finished 15 - 12" log cabin blocks this week and 8 SBS blocks. Did I say I LOVED it?? I do !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2