Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilter? >

Accuquilter?

Accuquilter?

Old 07-24-2015, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

The Studio will accept any dies with the appropriate adaptor or shim. So you can use Go! or Sizzix dies in the Studio. They are different thicknesses so need different adaptors.
I use the generic dies a lot: squares, triangles & strips. In addition, I have the winding ways die. Pricey, but
I cannot imagine doing a quilt with curved pieces that were not die cut. If you are only going to use a die for one quilt, you have to consider the price.
The price you quote is a good one. How valuable is improved time and accuracy for you? Take a look at the Accuquilt site and factor in the price of the dies you'd like before you make a final decision. Accuquilt had periodic sales on both GO and Studio dies, so you can purchase a couple of must haves, then add to your collection as they go on sale.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
Does anyone know if you can use accuquilt dies in the studio. My MIL inherited a studio that sits in the garage collecting dust. I know she will give it to me if I ask but was wondering if the accuquilt dies will work. Do they just require a shim
Wow! Ask her for it! You can purchase the shims from Accuquilt:
http://www.accuquilt.com/shop/access...or-studio.html

The 5-minute video on this page shows which type of mat you would need to use in the Studio (you need Studio type mats) and also how many layers you can cut with the Go! dies:
http://www.accuquilt.com/shop/studio...ic-cutter.html
Old 07-25-2015, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
The Studio will accept any dies with the appropriate adaptor or shim. So you can use Go! or Sizzix dies in the Studio. They are different thicknesses so need different adaptors.
I use the generic dies a lot: squares, triangles & strips. In addition, I have the winding ways die. Pricey, but
I cannot imagine doing a quilt with curved pieces that were not die cut. If you are only going to use a die for one quilt, you have to consider the price.
The price you quote is a good one. How valuable is improved time and accuracy for you? Take a look at the Accuquilt site and factor in the price of the dies you'd like before you make a final decision. Accuquilt had periodic sales on both GO and Studio dies, so you can purchase a couple of must haves, then add to your collection as they go on sale.

I agree with PaperPrincess. If you want the Studio, just start with a few dies and not the whole load. You can't use them all at once anyway. Then buy when they come on sale cheap, which they do often. If there is a block one you want get it. I use most of the basic ones, strips, triangles, etc, I don't do applique. I bought the studio because you can cut so many thicknesses with it. I do have some go dies I use with the adapter, which is fine but I like that you can cut so many more at once with the studio dies. I bought my studio because of my hands, it got where I couldn't cut for more than a few minutes with a rotary cutter too much pain. I have never regretted buying it or the dies and I am the only one using it!
Old 07-26-2015, 04:43 AM

I noticed AccuQuilt is offering $200 off on their Studio 2 until tomorrow. My question is, do the dies come with mats? Trying to figure out just what I need to order to get started.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:26 AM

Id suggest the big go as its electric and cuts everything so fast. It's amazing!
Old 07-26-2015, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by skothing View Post
I am trying to decide where to buy one. Got an offer for the studio one that folds for 200 off. With the beginning set it is almost 900. Is it worth it?
Try "sewitsforsale" a yahoo group for sew-ers only. I've bought and sold with no problems. It's like a craigslist for sewing folks. (Max - Burke VA)
Old 07-26-2015, 11:21 AM

i started out with the go! but because of shoulder problems bought the Go Blg electric. sweet. love it.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

The mats are sold separately for the Go and I think for the Studio too.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:30 PM

Thank you, OneByOne . . .i went ahead and placed an order for the Studio2, 2.5" strip cutter, an adapter to use the Go dies and the Orange peel die since that's the next quilt on my list. Several of the BOBs as well as strip dies in other sizes are high on my wish list.

Thanks for posting this thread, Skothing. I've had my eye on the Studio for several years but just don't have the dedicated space. I wasn't aware before seeing your thread, that the Studio 2 folds up. It's hefty at 35 lbs but will store nicely below my cutting table and I can just set it in place on my cutting table for use.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:28 PM

After joining Facebook group, reading and watching youtube videos, I then talked to the husband. Well I did buy a lot of things as well studio 2. He said since the sale was over tomorrow plan it out and see what you really use. 1,500 dollars later we order several dies and sets. Hope to have it up and running before school starts. Now to clean a spot for it.