Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Acrylic Extension does NOT make it easier to FMQ >

Acrylic Extension does NOT make it easier to FMQ

Acrylic Extension does NOT make it easier to FMQ

Old 01-22-2012, 05:10 PM

For many years I had a plexiglass extension table for my Bernina and it worked okay, but like you said the quilt gets caught on the edges. The quilt getting caught was very annoying.
I use the Supreme Slider and Machinger gloves are a big help. I finally was able to afford a Horn Quiltmate cabinet to set my machine down into.
Sharon W.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by labtechkty View Post
The silcone spray works...just make sure its a sewing grade spray...
Where does one fine the silicone spray? I watched the video from Eleanor Burns about how to turn a farmhouse table into a sewing table. Think I am going to start watching for an inexpensive table. My dh could fix that up for me!!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by GladGrams View Post
I have found that the teflon oven liners work really good to make the area slick so the fabric slides around and they are really large too.
I'd like to try this idea -- any idea where these can be purchased? Thx!!
Old 01-22-2012, 08:28 PM

I have 2 Janome machines with extension tables (6260 and 7700) I do have a bit of catching on the corners when I have a particularly heavy or large quilt on the go. I stopped using the supreme slider after I stitched it to the bottom of my quilt 4 or 5 times. It was just too small to be effective. They do have a larger one now, but the price is larger too. I found a silicone mat for a microwave. Found them at my local surplus store for $6, so I don't know where you'd get them, but they're made by Wilton. It's 16" x 16" and sticks down quite well. I cut out the area of my needle plate - because I have a top loading bobbin - that way I don't have to take it off to change it. The edges are taped down with painters tape.
It is a good solution for me. Keep in mind that I use a very large dining room table for sewing, so I have about 4' x 3' to the left of my machine. For really large quilts, I put the extension leaves into the dining room table adding another 18" of space.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:42 AM

Thanks for reminding me that making a foam FMQ table for my machine is still on my list of things to do. Also thank you for posting the pictures of your project. They will be a big help when I make mine. I was lucky enough to buy 2 yards of slick table cloth material at Goodwill (cost 99 cents) to cover the foam bords. My next trip out will be to the hardware store for the foam insulation boards.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:38 AM

Some LQS have the super slider mats but they are now $29.99 to $34. each. Ouch, I like the idea of the other silicone sheet. I did find a thin, foldable cutting board. Maybe I'll try that. I think they were less than $5. (two to a package, dollar store???) Thanks for the ideas.
Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
Use a sew slip or supreme slider, makes a hell of a difference
Old 10-15-2014, 04:53 AM

I have used my table for years, spray some furniture polish on the top to give it a slippery surface, also you should have round corners on the table. Also you will constantly have to readjust the quilt and make sure there is no pull from the weight of the quilt. The area you are quilting should move easily under the foot. When you feel the weight pulling stop and readjust. that is it. I have quilted queen size quilts with no problem and they are first place ribbons in shows.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

I have one and used it a long time. One day i got fed up with it and it's on the floor under the table for now.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

Nope I did not like my extension either on my Janome 6500. When I quilted it kept on lifting as the quilt would get caught/stuck. I agree dropping the machine helps. I would just stop and move the quilt frequently and work very small sections at a time.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:35 AM

this topic has been discused many times! My DH make this set-up for me. He took an onld table and cut the legs off to make the height tat was ergonomically correct for me (chair height and added platform height). He then followed the instructions on this video ad made me the sewing table. I keep it up all the time and use it for FMQ and general sewing. It is GREAT!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14govA4pIM