Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Acrylic templates for DWR

Acrylic templates for DWR

Is there a set of templates (acrylic) available for making a double wadding ring quilt with pieced rings?

I have the McCalls pattern that you can print out the paper ones, but I'd really prefer the acrylic ones that I can cut around with a rotary cutter.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

I have one that's a "Double Wedding Ring Template Set" for a 17" diameter with 7 templates, by Marti Michell. The product code on it is 8017.
    Annette in Utah

Simplicity Pieced Double Wedding Ring Template
    http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/simpli+ez+double+wedding+ring+template.do

Also, here is one where the 3-in-1 template for the inside, melon & square are separated into 3 different templates. Of course, you pay more than twice the price to get the separate templates, but in case you're interested in that, here's a link:
    http://vfwquilts.com/products/double...g-template-set
    Last edited by Bree123; 11-26-2015 at 08:33 PM.

Traditionally, double wedding ring has fairly small pieces (smaller than a 2" square) in the rings. I can't picture cutting around an acrylic template for something that small.
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

Check out quiltinaday.com - Eleanor Burns has them. I believe the set is about $18.00 or $20.00. I just gave my set to my sister since I live is So. Cal. and she lives in WA, and I have the GO die.

Oops - that is a wedding ring set, not the DWR.
    Last edited by quiltingcandy; 11-26-2015 at 11:28 PM.

Anna Quilts

Gay
    Blog Entries
    I found these yesterday. They're probably expensive compared to others but I'm keen to get them. The second video on the same page is very good, explains a lot.

http://www.qheartland.com/pd-double-wedding.cfm

I bought my set from John Flynn. You will want to get the small Olfa 18mm cutter to cut around these smaller templates especially with the one with the curved side.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I found these yesterday. They're probably expensive compared to others but I'm keen to get them. The second video on the same page is very good, explains a lot.

http://www.qheartland.com/pd-double-wedding.cfm
    I just ordered this yesterday! They are a little more expensive than some others, but as Gay said, there are videos on YouTube to watch

I figure I will watch the videos over and over again until I get the courage up to start. Then I can refer back to the videos as I go. Super excited to get these!!

I have the the same acrylic set as Annaquilts from Sharlene Jorgenson. I made a DWR in blues and yellows for my daughter many years ago but these are the best to use. I would cut pieces in my free time and put them in a pizza box and when I would have time I would sew a block or two. These templates are worth buying.

I saw a set on createforless.com.
    Has anyone used these? The price was under $20 and looked to include all the shapes for the pieced rings style.

Blog Entries
    You can buy plastic in different thicknesses. Draw your pattern piece onto the plastic and cut around it with a scrollsaw or bandsaw and sand. Works nicely and not as expensive as buying the templates ready made. Most wood workers have one of these saws.

I have the book "Rings that Bind" by Cheryl Phillips and it comes with a set of acrylic templates. I can't remember if it has each and every small one, but it is an exceptional book. I made my daughter a QS DWR quilt using it. One of the patterns shows how to make a DWR using border print, which is what I did, and it turned out really nice, rather than sewing separate pieces. I also have the acrylic set of DWR templates from Judy Niemeyer of Quiltworx, but I have not used them yet.

Check on ebay, they have a variety of templates, just put in acrylic to find the correct ones.

I used the John Flynn templates and found them to be very accurate. Would defnitely give them 5 star rating!
    Anne Freeman
    Hermon ME

Power Poster
    Gay mentions quilting from the heartland. Years ago I watched a quilting show featuring Shar Jorgensen and the double wedding ring. She had thick plastic templates that you could cut around, using the smaller 28 mm. rotary cutter (I think that's the right size, it's smaller than the 45 mm. rotary blade). It was a long time ago, but I think I spent about $25 for the thick plastic templates, however, someone in my family decided that I no longer needed them and threw them out. I'm always amazed that certain people in my family figure that if I haven't used something in a certain amount of time, they are free to throw it out. I still get upset when I think about it, as I had really wanted to make the DWR quilt some day. Oh well, now he can just spend more money to get another set of templates.

Oh well, now he can just spend more money to get another set of templates.
    exactly!!

Marti Michell's set is on sale right now. I got it from her web site.

Don't overlook quiltknit.com for just about every acrylic quilt template you can think of. That said, I have the set from Quilting From The Heartland.

I find a template I want then my husband takes it to the hardware store.Usually they have scraps of plexyglass they will cut it for free or really cheap!