Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Add a Border or just put binding on this Art Quilt? >

Add a Border or just put binding on this Art Quilt?

Add a Border or just put binding on this Art Quilt?

Old 07-29-2015, 07:12 AM

Thumbs up same idea

Originally Posted by Luray831 View Post
I think it looks good the way it is. Another possibility could be to cover an artist canvas in fabric of your choice and "float" your art quilt onto that. Finished, mounted, ready to display by hanger or easel! I really like your work!
This idea popped into my head too. Attach a border wide enough to cover the edge of the canvas and stretch the border o the back and staple down or glue. This might allow you to flatten the picture. I love the wonky houses you have made.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:44 AM

It doesn't look like you have enough batting to add a border now, unless you want to piece some batting onto the edges of the existing batting. I would bind it in a dark color similar to the sky without the border.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:49 AM

What a wonderful quilt! I am also concerned about the small amount of area remaining on the right and left. I don't think you want to lose that, which you would do with border or binding. However, I think it definitely wants framing of some kind. So I would vote for the mat and frame, or the facing (which I'm not familiar with).
Old 07-29-2015, 08:58 AM

I agree that it doesn't NEED a border, but would look a little less cramped with one due to the design being so close to the edges. I would do the border as if it were a mat, probably in a color similar to the chimney of the middle house or a bit darker, and miter the corners. Then I would bind it in a wood tone or other fabric that would mimic the frame.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:38 AM

I agree with the no border group. I would block it and then bind it with a dark color(dark green or navy - these look like colors in your fat quarter) to frame it. Either of those 2 colors would probably blend into the background and make the block pop.

It is very cute.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:53 PM

Love your art quilt. I would use a binding no border maybe black or cream.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:26 PM

First and foremost, it is adorable! I would put no border, and just bind with a kind of brick or cranberry red.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:12 PM

Such a cute little quilt! I've made a lot of these small appliqued quilts and one of the things I like to do is use buttons or beads in the binding. A simple bias binding with seed beeds sewn in the ditch adds a little interest. I also love to add an assortment of different sizes, shapes and colors of buttons to the edge. I use contrasting threads that coordinate with the quilt, or you can use the same color thread. The buttons also add a little weight so the quilt hangs well.

Here's an example of a bound border with seed bead detail.
Attached Thumbnails oconnell_artquilt_detail_copy.jpg  

Last edited by gillyo; 07-29-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:59 PM

I would do a hot pink border and binding, but that's just MHO.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:05 AM

Lightbulb Use your imagination to design your fabric neighborhood.

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
If it were mine I would fold a 1" gold/yellow strip in half and sew around the edges, then add a wider border in the same background fabric, or close in colour. Or you could add the border first then sew bias binding in gold - like a picture frame.
Hope that's not confusing.
Love your quilt, was it a kit?
Thank you for your ideas. I think once I audition fabrics that will help me decide.

No, I did not use a kit to make this art quilt. I took a workshop our guild sponsored taught by Amy Stewart Windsor called Playtime neighborhood. If you google her name you can view her link with lots of photos of art quilts. You use your imagination to design your scene. In the class I only cut out one house. I spent time drawing on paper what I wanted in my fabric playtime neighborhood. I did all the work at home after the class. My quilt has a quilt shop to the left, my house in the center, and a church on the right. I worked on the quilt in between other projects over a year.
Now to finish it and be done! Thanks again for your input.