Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Adding block/label to back of quilt >

Adding block/label to back of quilt

Adding block/label to back of quilt

Old 02-20-2019, 03:37 PM

Default Adding block/label to back of quilt

I have a completed quilt (quilting and binding done) and would like to add a label to it. I am thinking of using an extra 10” block with label in the middle. So I would turn under the edges and attach the 10” block to the quilt backing. Is there a product I should be using behind the block? TIA
Old 02-20-2019, 03:54 PM

You can use anything you would like for your label as long as it is fabric that can be laundered. My favorite labels are made on my embroidery machine with information that I want to include making sure that my name and the date the quilt was completed. I sew my label to a piece of lightweight fusible interfacing, putting the fusible side next to the right side of the label and I sew 1/4" seam all the way around with no opening. I then cut a slit in the middle of the interfacing and turn to the right side. I make sure the corners are as sharp as I can make them and then fuse the label in a corner or middle of the bottom of the quilt. Then I hand stitch the label on with a blind hem stitch.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:51 PM

Using a fusible on the back is optional, though a good idea. It will be harder for someone to take it off if it is ever stolen. If I do this, I use Mistyfuse. Also, to make it easier, put it in a corner, and sew the block into the binding area. That way the binding will cover 2 sides, and you only have to hand-sew the other two sides.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:00 PM

Pewa88 and Cindi- thank you for sharing your knowledge and advice. It has given me the confidence to add my block/label
Old 02-20-2019, 06:11 PM
Power Poster

When you said block label, I thought that you had made a sampler. This something I did some years ago to remember what the blocks are.
Attached Thumbnails center-attention-too-label.jpg  
Old 02-20-2019, 06:45 PM

Boston1954! Cool! Great idea, thanks for pics!
Old 02-21-2019, 06:09 AM

I always turn my edges under and treat it as I would an appliqué piece.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:00 AM

I don't use anything in back of the lable, but I do use microsoft word to make my labels, which include the name of the quilt, the name of the person to whom I am giving it to(if), the date and of course my name. Then I measure 16 inches in and 16 inches up from left corner of the backing. This is the placement of the left and lower edges of the label. You can put the label on the right side. This is to insure that the label is also quilted. Much harder to remove.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:24 AM

Thank you DeltaMS and sylviasmom. I need to remember to add it BeFORE quilting! Much easier
Old 02-21-2019, 08:31 AM

Okay, here's an easy trick for adding the label after the fact. Wind some mono-filament thread onto your bobbin. Make your label in whatever way you wish. Attach the label by machine instead of hand stitching. The mono-filament thread makes the stitching almost invisible on the front of the quilt. I use the same technique for sewing temporary hanging sleeves on quilts for shows.