Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Additional Lighting - Side or Under Mount?

Blog Entries

Additional Lighting - Side or Under Mount?

I'm looking for a VERY BRIGHT additional light which would attach to my sewing machine. I have an inexpensive, flexible side-mount light which I purchased at JoAnn's but it's not as bright as I was hoping for. I've seen the lights which mount underneath the sewing area...some a little pricey. At this point, I'm willing to pay more for a good, really bright light.

Please offer your opinion..."side" or "under" mount, and if you have particular brand you like. I'm headed to the Houston Quilt Festival in about a week or so and hoping there might be some there at a good price.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input!
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

I have a Bendable Bright Light which I mounted with adhesive strip on the left side of my machine (that was the only place flat enough to fit). It has a flexible arm so I position it where I need it to shine.

I recently made a couple of quilts with a lot of black and was going crazy not being able to see as well as I needed. I bought the LED Light Strip that adheres under the harp area. It is a huge help.

Lucky you going to Houston. Check these out there.

I bought the under-machine stick-on LED strip from CottonClub.com and I love it. It is also great for lighting when I go to quilting class because not every classroom has sufficient light.
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

I vote undermount! The side mounts have the light stream blocked by some of the machine.

I have a bendable light which goes on the left side of my sewing machine. It is a very bright light and I love it. I bought it on line at Quilters Warehouse. I think it was about 35.00.

I also have just bought the Bendable Bright Light and have it mounted on the top of my machine. I love it...it's small so it doesn't get in the way, but bright and I can adjust it to shine exactly where I want. I thought it was expensive ($75 here in Oz) but worth every cent.
    Blessings from Janice

Blog Entries
    I have this one: http://www.ecoluxlighting.com/ Get the six light strip. You won't regret it at all. I didn't peel the tape off the stick-on side. I used double sided tape to mount it and it's easy to move from machine to machine without buying extra.
    Got fabric?

I have had the one that goes on the side and I thought it was good. But I just bought the lights mentioned by BellaBoo and WOW. It is sooooo much better. I know they are pricey but they are worth every penny. I now use it and do not need the one of the side.
    DonnaR
    Grammy to Isaiah and Ruth

I have mounted a bendable one on the side of my machine. I love it. It was about $40. from somewhere online. I can't remember where, nor can I find a name on the silly thing! Oh well, that is what I have and I love it.

Dina

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I have this one: http://www.ecoluxlighting.com/ Get the six light strip. You won't regret it at all. I didn't peel the tape off the stick-on side. I used double sided tape to mount it and it's easy to move from machine to machine without buying extra.
    I just bought this, too. Handiest light I have found. I tried everything before. It's expensive, but by the time you try Office, Bendable, Ott - it saves you time and money.

I had both. Now I just pull over my floor Ott-like lamp whenever I need more light. When I am at my machine sewing I face my living room and just pull over the lamp as it is beside my reading chair in the living room.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

My machine comes with excellent lighting (Janome 7700) and has something similar to this built it. But sometimes I find that the feet still throw a shadow, particularly if I'm sewing dark fabric (old eyes...lol). The little bendable bright light really puts extra light just where I need it
    Blessings from Janice

Blog Entries
    Hi, ma'am. I really want that light!! The little bendables are too bright in one small spot. These Ecolux would be the bomb! Did you buy yours from the site, or did you find a cheaper price elsewhere. Could you share, please? I wonder if any of the stores like Joann's has them where one could use a coupon?

Thanks for telling us about this handy dandy answer to so many lighting problems! My Pfaff has a light under the throat, but its very dim.

http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
    Hi, ma'am. I really want that light!! The little bendables are too bright in one small spot. These Ecolux would be the bomb! Did you buy yours from the site, or did you find a cheaper price elsewhere. Could you share, please? I wonder if any of the stores like Joann's has them where one could use a coupon?

Thanks for telling us about this handy dandy answer to so many lighting problems! My Pfaff has a light under the throat, but its very dim.
    I don't have a problem with my bendable being too bright--I just have to be careful not to position it so light reflects off the foot.

I bought my Ecolux LED light from Cotton Club also. I didn't try googling it. I receive a lot of online quilt shop newsletters & haven't seen it on any of them or at JoAnn's.When I first saw the light at Cotton Club back in the spring, it was $39.95. The price has really risen, but I feel it is worth it.

The size you will need is dependent on the size of the harp on your machine. I was only able to fit a 4 light one on mine.

Blog Entries
    Thanks gramajo. I can use a 6 light on my Pfaff. Guess I'll just have to save my pennies! Christmas is coming!

Quote Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
    I don't have a problem with my bendable being too bright--I just have to be careful not to position it so light reflects off the foot.

I bought my Ecolux LED light from Cotton Club also. I didn't try googling it. I receive a lot of online quilt shop newsletters & haven't seen it on any of them or at JoAnn's.When I first saw the light at Cotton Club back in the spring, it was $39.95. The price has really risen, but I feel it is worth it.

The size you will need is dependent on the size of the harp on your machine. I was only able to fit a 4 light one on mine.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
    Thanks gramajo. I can use a 6 light on my Pfaff. Guess I'll just have to save my pennies! Christmas is coming!
    Definitely ask Santa to bring you one. You'll love it.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I have the bendable light, but the bendable is getting relaxed and not staying bended. I have lights built in under my machine that are bright, but I also put an Ott standing lamp over my machine. It does the trick. It gives me the best light of all.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

With overhead florescent lights and undermount light from Home Depot mounted under a shelf behind machine and machine light I am okay with those. I did buy a little bright light from Wal Mart, but don't use it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    THANKS, EVERYONE! I'll check out the Ecolux LED strip light...seems to have a lot of fans from the replies here. I just finished a project which had a lot of dark fabrics and I thought I was going blind by the time I finished it. My eyes aren't old, but they're not young anymore either, so glad it might have just been the fabric. LOL I'll probably keep the bendable light in place until I get the strip light and use the bendable for a back-up, but as was mentioned the bendable flex starts to lose it's hold and droops...has already happened to me. Again, many thanks!

Blog Entries
    Hi ladies,

A quick Internet search turned up this website. They offer the 6-light package for $59.99. Thought I would share for those who might be looking for this. http://anembroideredaffair.com/Detail.bok?no=573