Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice from bag makers please... >

Advice from bag makers please...

Advice from bag makers please...

Old 06-27-2015, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

I like the idea of putting the macrame cord between some fabric to make the strap stronger. You may have to get a bigger needle size to sew through all the layers. That fabric is cool, I've used some similar in the past. Upholstery fabric will be strong but wash a piece and see what it does before you make something out of it. The other thing to consider is that it may have a chemical treatment for flame retardant on it - if so, wear gloves while you work with that fabric.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:07 AM

Make some little 'tabs' for the ends, enclosing the cord ends in them.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:21 AM

I would be afraid that the stitching where the cording is attached to the bag won't be strong enough. If you are set on using the cording, try attaching to the bag differently....like sewing a sturdy loop to the bag and running the cording through the loop and then knotting. Or maybe a grommet....run the cording through the hole then knot the end big enough to not pull through.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

personally, I would use the macrame cord to "pad" inside a handle.
You won't even sew through it at all then.
I like the other fabric for a bag.
Maybe google or "pinterest" for some ideas with the cording
Old 06-27-2015, 07:17 AM
pal

Try making a "knot" at the ends of the macrame ends. like you would put on the end of a sewing needle. Then sew above it , onto the fabric. It will have that shabby chic look
Old 06-27-2015, 07:39 AM

Thanks for all the great ideas. At this point, I am setting the cord aside for another day. Too many details to think about. Instead I went and made a totally different bag with my usual style of handles. I'm going to make one with that red upholstery fabric next (at least that's the plan...) but I'll just make the handles match the lining. The cord is just too problematic in my mind.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]523623[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails bag-3.png  
Old 06-27-2015, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Make sure that this fabric does unravel when cut. I would use something more sturdier for a handle than macrame cord.
This is true, but you could still use it inside the handles to make them stronger. When I make bags, I put something more durable inside the handles because just cotton, will break down pretty quickly from use, skin oils, dirt, dust, etc. Polyester cording like that is great for making cording trim also.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
Well it turns out braiding that macrame cord is quite the challenge!! I cut 3 pieces and sewed the ends of them together (a challenge in and of itself!!) Then I hung the cord from my clothesline, braided it and tried to sew the other ends together (another challenge).

It looks ok but I'm afraid the ends are a bit lumpy for my bag. They will be hidden between the outer fabric and the lining but they are still quite lumpy.

Any simple suggestions for me? Am I missing something obvious. Thanks!!

PS. Thanks HillCountryGal for the fabric ID. I had no idea what it was!
I would hand stich the briaded ends first so they would be held together flat, then machine stitch for strength.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:47 AM

Looking at the back of your fabric, I would use a fuseable (lightweight) for a little stability and for your cord, you could always incase it.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

I love the fabric, as it is very unusual and unique. I would use fusible fleece to back either the front or bag lining, just to give it more stability. I have seen tutorials where they use something like headliner fabric, which is soft, supple and gives stability, however, I have not seen any to know of it's availability. As to the cord, I don't think I would use it, unless it was covered with a similar colored fabric to go with the bag. I'm looking forward to seeing the end product, I'm sure it will be beautiful.