Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice on fusible interfacing >

Advice on fusible interfacing

Advice on fusible interfacing

Old 12-17-2019, 09:14 PM

Default Advice on fusible interfacing

This is my first time to use fusible interfacing. Its foot a castle playmat. Its taking forever to fuse and forever to get out any wrinkles. Any advice?
Old 12-18-2019, 02:00 AM

What kind of fusible interfacing are you using? Since for a playmat it may be thin and stiff, like Decor Bond 809 or 808 or maybe fusible fleece? At any rate, what I do is lay the fusible on my ironing board rough fusible glue side up, then place my fabric wrong side down on top of the fusible. Smooth out with my hands and then press with my iron. The key is to press not iron, lift the iron up to move, not slide. Leave the iron in place long enough to melt the glue and adhere to the fabric.....there should be directions with the fusible...usually a couple of minutes each time you put the iron down. A large piece like a playmat will take some time to fuse.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:17 AM

I press my fabric first and make certain any wrinkles are out. Then I do as Murphy 224 does, lay the interfacing glue side up and lay the fabric over the top. I will press to warm the glue up thru the fabric and then flip and press from the back. Parchment paper helps but does make me want to iron and that's not the thing to do. Make certain that nothing it wet with starch or steam. Unless the fusible works that way.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:35 AM
Power Poster

After layering to press, I put a light spray of water on the fabric to prevent wrinkles when using fusibles.

I usually put fabric right side down and then put fusible on top to press.

Last edited by Onebyone; 12-18-2019 at 04:47 AM.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:45 AM

Be sure you have a large enough work space.

I always cut the fusible material about 1/2 inch shorter than outer fabric. This keeps fusible off the iron surface and out of seam allowances.

Place the fusible into position onto the fabric. I put fusible on top first to see layout. Then carefully flip the sandwich over for pressing. Start in the center quadrant and work out to edges.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy224 View Post
What kind of fusible interfacing are you using? Since for a playmat it may be thin and stiff, like Decor Bond 809 or 808 or maybe fusible fleece? At any rate, what I do is lay the fusible on my ironing board rough fusible glue side up, then place my fabric wrong side down on top of the fusible. Smooth out with my hands and then press with my iron. The key is to press not iron, lift the iron up to move, not slide. Leave the iron in place long enough to melt the glue and adhere to the fabric.....there should be directions with the fusible...usually a couple of minutes each time you put the iron down. A large piece like a playmat will take some time to fuse.
Hope this helps.
Thank you! It's Decor Bond.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Some factory sizing prevents some fusibles from forming a good bond. The only way past that is to prewash to remove the sizing. Not familiar with Decor Bond but I know for a fact Misty Fuse does not play nicely with factory sizing and loses its bond fairly quickly.