Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice and Help Choosing a New Embroidery Machine >

Advice and Help Choosing a New Embroidery Machine

Advice and Help Choosing a New Embroidery Machine

Old 12-22-2016, 08:54 AM

I started with low end Brother. The hoops were too small for what I wanted. I was able to upgrade to a used Bernina Artista 730e. I have the largest hoop they make for the machine. It too has gotten too small for quilt blocks. I would go with a multi Needle machine with the largest hoop area you can afford. I have upgraded to a 16 Needle machine with 15 by 17 stitching field. I saved for 10 years doing some work for others.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:28 AM

You might want to consider an unused machine. I bought my Bernina used and have not had any problems with it. However, they are heavier machines because they have metal parts.

My Babylock is easier to use. Since and Brother are made by the same company, you'd want to look at the features that you really want in order to make a decision. I'm make a list of what you desire in a machine and find a machine that most closely matches what you want.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

My husband bought me a Baby Lock, Flourish (of course I picked it out). I'm lovin it so far. Largest hoop can stitch a 6"x10" design.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:21 PM

I also have the Babylock Flourish. I love it! I got it in July for 1500...very easy to use!!!!
Old 12-22-2016, 05:34 PM

I encourage you to follow the embroidery thread on the Quilting Board: Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun
The folks there have helped me time and time again. I highly recommend it.

I wrote a longer post about the pitfalls of Bernina attachments but lost it while looking up the Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun thread.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:42 PM

Here's my re-written (cuz I can't find the original) cautionary tale: There are sometimes hidden costs associated with embroidery machines/attachments!

In my case, I purchased a Bernina 635 with the embroidery attachment. Having discovered that many of the designs I wanted to embroider required the Mega Hoop, I asked for one last Christmas. My wonderful family came through! When I tried to use it, though, my Bernina 635 went crazy. Nothing it did made any sense!

Eventually I took it to the dealer. Turns out the 635 can't handle the Mega Hoop without translational software ($200+) that can only run on a PC. Since I own a Mac, that would require an even larger investment! I felt (and still do) "taken."

My advice to you is to ask many questions - many more than I did! I referred you to the Embroidery Machines thread on this board because the people there can help you formulate those questions.

Best wishes!
Old 12-22-2016, 08:52 PM

I got my Viking Topaz thru a dealer and it was actually the floor model. My dealer gave me the full warranty, lessons and if I decided to up grade within a YEAR I could have full trade in value. I did need the lessons, those machines can be rather intimidating and there is a learning curve. And I was very fortunate to have a sewing buddy that worked thru a lot of the curve with me. My dealer was more interested in teaching me the machine and selling the designs on discs than how to get designs on the internet and making more custom items. But then I went to the Road to CA quilt show and connected with an dealer from Orange County and he showed me the program and all I could do with it. I now have another local dealer that does sell the programs so helps with any and all questions.

I wanted the Mega Hoop too. But decided the cost would not support how often I would use it and opted for the hoop with the magnets instead. (I bought extra magnets to hold the fabric better.)
Old 12-22-2016, 09:26 PM

I do want to recommend you get the largest hoop machine you can afford - even if you don't think you will ever need one that large, believe me you will. Embroidering with a machine becomes addictive and I use my largest hoop, which is 7.8 inches x 10.2 more than any other.

My machine came with the 4 x 4 and the 7 x 10. I bought the 5 x 7 with the magnets.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:45 AM

I have a Pfaff Creative Sensation. I absolutely love it and would advise any one who can afford it to get it. I have also owned Brother machines and I loved them, too.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:01 PM

I have the Brother PE770... I do think the screen is very hard to use, and that I would be experimenting more with machine embroidery if it had been easier to work with.