Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice on how to quilt a quilt with crazy patchwork >

Advice on how to quilt a quilt with crazy patchwork

Advice on how to quilt a quilt with crazy patchwork

Old 07-17-2011, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by marymm
It's beautiful. I love the idea of the big stitch and would probably do very simple quilting. You are brave to try hand quilting on all those foundation pieced blocks. You might consider larger motifs.
Agree. Tough to hand stitch over all those seams
Old 07-17-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Lobster
What sort of trouble?
shifting, bunching, etc.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
Your's is a most interesting project as normally the foundation crazy quilts are not really quilted but tied.
But after looking at the picture and reading your description, on first thought I might suggest the following.
Do the motif quilting in the sashing. The vines would be good and easy. Even tho the sashing is different width, I would keep the same motif for all. This would connect the blocks together.
SID around each block and then SID within each block but selectively. The blocks need interior SID quilting.
Then select sections of each block for the motif quilting.
For example the separated heart in the center could have a feather motif. What I'm saying is that the old crazy patch quilts had embroideried motifs scattered around them. Do the same with your quilting. Make these as detailed as the space will allow. Scatter the leaf shape from the sashing throoughout the blocks.
And definitely start in the middle. You could do all the SID around blocks or sashing first. This would baste the quilt and would make the other quilting easier.
Just some thoughts.
Very useful, thank you! Starting in the middle it is, then.

I forgot to mention that this is going to be a modern-looking quilt, so feathers aren't quite what I'm aiming at. I know that traditionally the seams were embellished with embroidery and such, and I can see how that fits in, it's just not the style I'm going for here. I'm definitely not planning to SID around the blocks before filling them in, that's exactly how I got into trouble last time! The quilt is thoroughly basted anyway, don't worry, with herringbone thread basting. I'll probably only SID around the blocks if I really need to, but with this sort of batting I reckon I can get away without it. I'm not going to SID inside the blocks, there are too many fabric layers to make that feasible with hand quilting. Some of the blocks are going to be incredibly difficult to get a needle through due to foundation piecing, and the heart appears to have been fused onto crazy-quilting and was noticeably tough to baste. It also hasn't been properly pieced, the pieces have been appliquéd down with a zigzag and some fraying edges are already beginning to show, so somehow I will have to repair that.

I'm thinking of separate leaves rather than a vine, plus the odd spiral. Where there's space to get a big enough leaf in, I'll put a simple pattern inside, a spiral or similar. This isn't going to be dense quilting. If quilts can handle being tied, presumably they can cope with this level of quilting as well.

Your discussion of how to spread the leaves around is giving me a much better feel for how to unify this quilt with motifs, so thank you again.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:52 AM

Another question: do you think this quilt is likely to run like crazy if washed with a colour catcher, considering that not all of the fabrics will have been prewashed (you know block swaps, especially when you ask for scrappy) and that it's largely reds? Because if it's going to be safe to wash, then I can mark it all over with a washable marker and thus mark up the whole thing in advance. If not, I'll have to use a chalk pencil and mark as I go, since that tends to rub off if it's on a section of the quilt I'm not currently working on, especially if it's the bit that gets the Q-snap clamped over it.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:02 AM
Banned

To answer this question:

"I don't know how they were generally quilted"

They were tied becaue of the layers and heavier fabric.
I certainly admire you to even consider hand quilting with pearl cotton through all those layers.

How do you plan on using the quilt. Do you plan on entering in a show, use on the bed, wallhanging. etc.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:55 AM

It's being given to a charity to raffle off, and it's designed as a sofa quilt.

I'm currently planning to do only minimal quilting in the blocks, which still leaves lots of space with the sashing and borders. I'm just not used to dealing with this sort of quilt, design-wise.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:05 AM

Many thanks this is the way we learn. Cant wait to see the end product, please share then with us.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:11 AM

Love the randomness (is that a word?) of your quilt. Sorry, no advice on the quilting - I am a piecer not a quilter LOL
Pippa
Old 07-18-2011, 03:19 AM

Basting is the key both directions and start in the center.
Very pretty.
Good luck.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:53 AM

My advice for making sure the colors won't bleed would be to dip the entire quilt in a salt water bath. My dad told me to do this years ago with a red outfit my daughter just loved and it never lost a bit of color. The salt seems to set the dyes. Since then I always do this with any outfit or item that has red in it and it hasn't failed me yet. Fill your tub with lukewarm or room temp. water and disolve a couple of cups of table salt in it. Soak the quilt for about 10 minutes or so then run it through a rinse cyle in the washer. If the idea of soaking the entire quilt makes you nervous you could try it in a small basin with some scraps.