Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice on how to quilt a quilt with crazy patchwork >

Advice on how to quilt a quilt with crazy patchwork

Advice on how to quilt a quilt with crazy patchwork

Old 07-18-2011, 02:07 PM

I've answered your questions in the rest of the comments in this post, if you have a look through them. The issues you raise shouldn't be a problem in this case.

And thank you!
Old 07-18-2011, 02:55 PM

I love your quilt! I'm saving the picture to my "Inspirations" album (with link) because it's just the type of work I enjoy seeing and would love to have on a wall.

I think your idea of random rather than continuous motifs is the best choice for this project, both in style and execution. You could put motifs in the blocks wherever needed to embellish and/or fasten down, even if just a few random running lines or tiny motif in a larger blank area. If you run into a problem area that's difficult to get a needle through, just change to a different spot--using separate motifs, exact placement won't matter as long as you have balance overall. And the layout of your blocks tells me you know all about visual balance. Beautiful so far, I look forward to seeing the finished product.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:17 PM

What a hot-looking top, love it.

I did lots of experimental perle cotton embroidery this winter with #8, #5 and #3. I realize you have basted this project but to save your fingers, would you consider removing the basting stitches and then doing the stitches and designs you choose on the top only? I think you would get better results. Then instead of batting use a layer of woven material such as flannel, then the lining and tack all three together.

One other unconventional way of embellishment would be to couch your motifs in heavier thread either by hand or machine. A wow in metalic.

Whatever you choose to do---enjoy! :thumbup:
Old 07-18-2011, 03:32 PM

Very beautiful work. Love the colors.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:35 PM

I'm no help with this, I just wanted to say how beautiful it is! Good luck with finishing this the way you have described, it sounds great.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:49 PM

I have done a few that I held together with scattered buttons.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:53 PM

And I did not do batting. Flannel is the most I ever do and sometimes not even that. But I do decorative machine stitches first. Sometimes I do the machine stitching to be pretty and then put back on which i held all together with buttons.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:18 PM

Can't wait to see it finished, and can't wait to see all of the answers......
Old 07-20-2011, 12:50 AM

It'll probably be a few months, but thank you! I am honestly a bit bewildered as to why so many people are telling me sternly that I mustn't quilt it, as I've said repeatedly that I'm looking at this afresh rather than taking the traditional approach. The piecing is no more complex than any other quilt that I've made, and apart from a few bits of foundation here and there which I can easily work round, the top is no heavier than any other standard quilting top. My seashell quilt top is the one that'll be really hard to quilt through, as the pieces are all tiny and there are seam allowances everywhere. But anyway, everyone's being very helpful and it's nice to get so much input.