Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
advice for making a serape >

advice for making a serape

advice for making a serape

Old 07-20-2011, 09:31 AM

i saw a pattern for a serape, which of course is no longer available, can anyone give me any advice, the photo looked as if it was pieced in long strips, and maybe buttoned on the side, it did seem to have shape rather than a clint eastwood style from the spagetti westerns, was open in the front, and on the sides, but somehow had structure. it was raw edged.

thank you for your patience, this is my first post

janallyn
Old 07-20-2011, 09:38 AM

Years ago a friend had one that I drooled over every time I saw her wear it. It was a VERY long piece of cream and gray splattered wool, cut in front up to the neck line. The neck was cut to the rounded neck line and the back continued on to the ankles as a single piece. It had one single 2 inch piece of self belting to catch the back to the front right under each of the arms, but otherwise swung free and hung nicely because of its weight. It was as classy as my friend was, and I think this lovely creation came from Mexico.
I've often intended to make one like it but haven't found the fabrics perfect for it. Should be heavier than suiting, thick and soft, and not needing hems.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:19 AM

i have a some silk and wool twill (60/40) after i dye it, it will felt somewhat during the process (just do not want it to felt to much)(and i do kinda a tie dye, splatter dye thing, heaven forbid if would have to duplicate anything), heat etc, which will be perfectin weight. it so hard to see it in your mind sometimes but not be able to translate into and actual item. everyone is so nice here, and i am so grateful for you input, please stay with me while i am fixated on this project.

jan
Old 07-20-2011, 10:23 AM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!