Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice on MID-ARM sewing machines >

Advice on MID-ARM sewing machines

Advice on MID-ARM sewing machines

Old 02-13-2013, 06:42 PM

I have a Juki on a frame. I do get all my quilting done on it & I'm pleased for the most part. But, my suggestion for you is to get as big a machine as you can get. I thought that I could learn on this one and I have, but with the smaller throat machines you decide quickly that you want a larger machine. Good luck & post a picture of the machine that you get.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:35 AM

Another possible cause of thread bunching underneath is that the pressure foot was not down. I started out with a shortarm (9-inch throat0 and it served me well but like Debbie B. in the above comment, I realized a bigger machine is good to have since there is extra quilting space. I have a Bailey Pro 17E and I love it. No regrets!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:59 AM

I have a Juki 9 inch, it is great for meandering but I can't seem to do anything else and feathers down the sides, I don't know how anybody does that if the quilt is on a frame, looks like after your done with most of quilt you would have to take it off, put it back on and do the sides. Sounds like I need some lessons huh?!!!! By the time you get to low half of quilt you have 5 to
Old 02-14-2013, 09:00 AM

continued-7 inches left to stitch on.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by chichimamma View Post
I have a Juki 9 inch, it is great for meandering but I can't seem to do anything else and feathers down the sides, I don't know how anybody does that if the quilt is on a frame, looks like after your done with most of quilt you would have to take it off, put it back on and do the sides. Sounds like I need some lessons huh?!!!! By the time you get to low half of quilt you have 5 to
I feel your pain! Mine is a Juki with a 9" throat on a frame, too. I can stipple or do some curly-q's but I can't seem to figure out how to do borders or feathers. Someone told me that you do the center first & then the borders but you can't reroll after the center is quilted. And taking the quilt off the frame (especially a bigger quilt) to do each border seems like too much work, and seems to me that the tension of the quilt could be thrown off. I start off with about 4" - 6" of quilting space & depending on how large the quilt is & how thick the batting I end up with 3" - 4". Can someone out there with this type of set up tell us how to do feathers & borders?
Old 02-14-2013, 04:39 PM

Well so Far I really Like the idea of a Bailey Pro 17E with the King Majestic frame Now if i can get my hubby to spring for the extra on a stitch regulator and all the other gadgets they are offering. How do you all like a stitch regulator do i really need one? are they real helpful?
Old 02-14-2013, 04:42 PM

Yup, me too! I bought a Voyager 17 and am VERY pleased with it!I have not had any issues with this machine at all and have owned it for 2 years! I would buy it again in a heartbeat!
Originally Posted by renda View Post
I bought a Voyager 17 (used) and a Hintenberg fram (also used) and only cost me $2,000. Very pleased with both items.