Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice needed: Any Viking Sapphire users out there? >

Advice needed: Any Viking Sapphire users out there?

Advice needed: Any Viking Sapphire users out there?

Old 01-20-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
I have the Sapphire 830 model (about 1-1/2 years old). I love it! I just recently got the new walking foot and am so glad I did. The snap in stitch in the ditch foot is great! I lucked out and got the feet for 40% off. I have not had any tension issues with mine.

I think a lot of the issues with the Sapphires are really user error due to lack of training. It is different, especially if you are coming from a standard machine rather than a computerized machine. Lots of automatic settings that take some getting used to. I'd buy it again. If you are seriously interested, ask if they will throw in the walking foot on the deal (or give you a great discount - it's regular retail is over $100). The stitch in the ditch foot is separate. About $25, but is snap on, so you'd need the new walking foot to use it.

Good luck!
Thanks so much you guys (smile)..I'm going to go pick it up today... Katier825, I mentioned that newer walking foot to the dealer and she looked at me like she didn't have a clue as to what I was talking about lol...When I go in today I'll just ask to see all the foot options for the machine and see if they pull that one out...Thanks again
Old 01-20-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by ArtisticDesign
I have the Sapphire 830 model (about 1-1/2 years old). I love it! I just recently got the new walking foot and am so glad I did. The snap in stitch in the ditch foot is great! I lucked out and got the feet for 40% off. I have not had any tension issues with mine.

I think a lot of the issues with the Sapphires are really user error due to lack of training. It is different, especially if you are coming from a standard machine rather than a computerized machine. Lots of automatic settings that take some getting used to. I'd buy it again. If you are seriously interested, ask if they will throw in the walking foot on the deal (or give you a great discount - it's regular retail is over $100). The stitch in the ditch foot is separate. About $25, but is snap on, so you'd need the new walking foot to use it.

Good luck!
Thanks so much you guys (smile)..I'm going to go pick it up today... Katier825, I mentioned that newer walking foot to the dealer and she looked at me like she didn't have a clue as to what I was talking about lol...When I go in today I'll just ask to see all the foot options for the machine and see if they pull that one out...Thanks again
The "newer" one has snap on feet. The old one didn't. Good luck!
Old 01-20-2011, 09:31 AM

I used to work for Viking and own two Designer I machines.
Remember, your dealer is there to help you.
Definitely take advantage of any free user classes. I cannot stress enough, read your user manual! The answer is usually right there in front of your face.
I they cannot help you, contact The main company. I agree, most problems are user related. Once in a while a machine will act up, but cars do that too, and they cost a lot more $$.
Also, talk nice to your sales clerk. I know a lady who hates a machine she bought and blames the clerk for all the problems, loudly and to anybody who might listen. She blew any help she might have gotten with that attitude,l I also know her problem is the way she uses her machine. She could have had free help, lessons, etc. all right in her home if she had been less nasty about it.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by peacebypiece
I used to work for Viking and own two Designer I machines.
Remember, your dealer is there to help you.
Definitely take advantage of any free user classes. I cannot stress enough, read your user manual! The answer is usually right there in front of your face.
I they cannot help you, contact The main company. I agree, most problems are user related. Once in a while a machine will act up, but cars do that too, and they cost a lot more $$.
Also, talk nice to your sales clerk. I know a lady who hates a machine she bought and blames the clerk for all the problems, loudly and to anybody who might listen. She blew any help she might have gotten with that attitude,l I also know her problem is the way she uses her machine. She could have had free help, lessons, etc. all right in her home if she had been less nasty about it.
Thanks so much for the advice peacebypiece, I am actually in the middle of taking the free classes on my new Emerald 118... Which I stopped because I'm going to start the classes over when I get the Sapphire lol... And I so know what you mean about your "kill them with kindness" theory..I have been a hairdresser for half my life ( ok more than half my life shhh lol)..If people only understood to at least try being nice first before they act so angry to get what they want...

EDIT: " She could have had free help, lessons, etc. all right in her home if she had been less nasty about it"
What?..right in her home?...Now this I've not heard of lol
Old 01-20-2011, 10:02 AM

I have the Sapphire 850, it is about 2 yrs old now. I sold my old Viking #1+, to buy the 850 - got the 850 for around $1100. Very nice machine, but I really wish I kept the Old one, too. Had some problems with the 850 on free motion quilting at first, but now seems to work okay. Don't know what the problem was, but whatever it was, it cleared up now. I think you are getting a super great deal. Enjoy your new toy!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:13 AM

I have an 830 & love it, no problems either. Have had it around 2yrs now. I got a Grace Mini Pinn frame & use it on that, & it works great, they play well together! Good luck with yours!...
Old 01-20-2011, 10:18 AM

Wow, thanks so much for all the positive replies guys...It's helped a lot...
Hey happymrs, could you explain what a Grace Mini Pinn is :: lil blonde tilt of the head :: lol
Old 01-20-2011, 10:22 AM

Grace mini Pinn:

http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Aluminum.../dp/B001IJGR36
Old 01-20-2011, 10:27 AM

ahhhh ok...Thanks katier
Old 01-20-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by katsewnsew
I have the Sapphire 850, it is about 2 yrs old now. I sold my old Viking #1+, to buy the 850 - got the 850 for around $1100. Very nice machine, but I really wish I kept the Old one, too. Had some problems with the 850 on free motion quilting at first, but now seems to work okay. Don't know what the problem was, but whatever it was, it cleared up now. I think you are getting a super great deal. Enjoy your new toy!
I have a Viking 1+ that I bought used 12 years ago. It's a fabulous workhorse. I haven't used the embroidery very much.

But I so want a new machine with all of the bells and whistles but so CAN'T justify it. I really would like a knee presser foot life and a thread cutter button.

To the OP - congratulations on your new machine. I'm sure you'll absolutely LOVE it.