Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Advice please on which Quilter to buy

Blog Entries
    I have a Bernina and if I did not have soooo much money invested in it, it would just be used as a paperweight. Everything about a Pfaff calls to me especially the dual feed. Good luck with your decision. As an aside, I do my piecing on an antique Singer.

I know its not a bernina or Pfaff, but I just absolutely adore my babylock espire, just putting my two cents in

Quote Originally Posted by karen924 View Post
    I have a Bernina and if I did not have soooo much money invested in it, it would just be used as a paperweight. Everything about a Pfaff calls to me especially the dual feed. Good luck with your decision. As an aside, I do my piecing on an antique Singer.
    I am going to piece by hand: more fun and more mobility when you live between two countries! It's quilting I need. What turns you off your expensive paperweight?

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    I know its not a bernina or Pfaff, but I just absolutely adore my babylock espire, just putting my two cents in
    Yur two cents are well received. I have a Babylock overlocker which I bought in the UK some 10+ years ago - a brilliant machine that does what is says on the tin. They are hard to find in Germany and France and since I no longer go to the UK I can't really take that route! So it didn't enter my head.
    By the way DOES it rain in southern California? Cheers Brabant

Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    I have the Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 and am very happy with it, but then I've been a Pfaff user for the past 25 yrs.
    Me too, Pfaff user for over 25 years but then they built them in Germany and believe me that says something: everything is so regulated, the machines would not dare go wrong! Now they build them in China. I have a large pile of failed things that were built in China, cheaply I'm sure but without any durability and a big fat zero for quality control. Hence my search for something that will see me out! I'd love it to be the Pfaff Q4 but I daren't risk it.

I have a 20 year old Pfaff, which I love, and bought a new Pfaff five years ago. The quality of the new one is nowhere near the quality of the old one, and I ended up giving it to my DIL. I bought a used Bernina last year, and, while I love the quality, it has been a little hard for me to get used to. I guess my age is catching up with me, and also, I don't have the time I used to have to sew and I forget how to do things in between times that I use it. If I had it to do over again, at this point and having owned both machines, I would buy the Bernina.

I have the Bernina 820 & love it. The throat is big, it has the BSR & also has the dual feed foot which clips down from behind the presser foot when you want to use it. I have had it for 1 1/2 yrs. & not a lick of trouble & have not had it serviced yet. It speaks volumes in QUALITY. Hope this helps.
    Dance like no one is watching

I have the Bernina 830 and I really like the BSR and the dual feed. It quilts very nicely. The dealer in my area is outstanding as is his staff. I believe that makes alot of difference in the brand you choose, is the dealer and service offered.

You make this sound like Singer acquired Pfaff/Viking. Please do "thorough" research on all of the companies and the machines they manufacture. I was surprised. I know the Bernina is a great machine, but I have a Viking Diamond and love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    I own the Bernina 830. I love it. I wouldn't buy a new Pfaff or Viking since the merger with Singer. My two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by callen View Post
    I have the Bernina 820 & love it. The throat is big, it has the BSR & also has the dual feed foot which clips down from behind the presser foot when you want to use it. I have had it for 1 1/2 yrs. & not a lick of trouble & have not had it serviced yet. It speaks volumes in QUALITY. Hope this helps.
    It helps enormously and in fact you are the final casting vote! I had a message very similar to yours from an English quilting forum: the Bernina has it! Just have to get the money together because it isn't cheap! And or get my dealer to be an angel and find me a demonstrator model! Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer623 View Post
    I have a 20 year old Pfaff, which I love, and bought a new Pfaff five years ago. The quality of the new one is nowhere near the quality of the old one, and I ended up giving it to my DIL. I bought a used Bernina last year, and, while I love the quality, it has been a little hard for me to get used to. I guess my age is catching up with me, and also, I don't have the time I used to have to sew and I forget how to do things in between times that I use it. If I had it to do over again, at this point and having owned both machines, I would buy the Bernina.
    Again a vote for Bernina. The Swiss are the winners I suspect. Thanks for your advice. We all forget tricks with machines. I am instinctive with my old Pfaff2144, I realise the Bernina will take some getting used to and cause some temper tantrums but it will be good. I found the manual in English which will help too. I speak German and French but often technical terms leave me standing! Mind you the bottom weight thread (see earlier in this post) left me standing too!

I have the Bernina 820 and bought it for the BSR, among other things. I'm just learning to fmq, but I understand the BSR makes it much easier. I'm taking lessons on it but, since I'm in FL for the winter, I haven't had a chance to use it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by matraina View Post
    I have the Bernina 820 and bought it for the BSR, among other things. I'm just learning to fmq, but I understand the BSR makes it much easier. I'm taking lessons on it but, since I'm in FL for the winter, I haven't had a chance to use it very much.
    We were in Germany for the winter, in a forest with 20centimeters of snow almost daily. Somehow I think you have the right idea and we went wrong somewhere! Now we are in France for the summer but it is rainingg.......... Thanlkks for another Bernina vote; I e-mailed my dealer for a price just two minutes ago......

Blog Entries
    If you need to consider the financial aspect...Bernina accessories are very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltlady330 View Post
    If you need to consider the financial aspect...Bernina accessories are very expensive.
    Since I retired the financial aspect always hovers! What accessories might I want I wonder. Do any of you Bernina folk out there have specific accessories you suggest? I guess I will need a stitch in the ditch foot.

I have the Pfaff 7570 and the Pfaff 2170. I do a fair amount of embroidery and quilting, so I wanted to upgrade to a machine with a larger throat and a bigger hoop. I went to my local dealer who sells both Bernina and Pfaff. He was very up front and told me some horror stories about the new Pfaffs since the merger. He showed me the difference in workmanship between the Pfaff creative vision and the Bernina 830. When all was said and done, I bought the Bernina. (The prices were comparable) I love the machine and the dealer is very patient with my many questions. I know some are sold on others brands, and that is "what makes the world go round ".
    I just finished a king size quilt on the 830 and was thoroughly satisfied with the results. Here is the link to that quilt:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t184776.html
    Good luck and let us know your final decision.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Quote Originally Posted by mopec View Post
    You make this sound like Singer acquired Pfaff/Viking. Please do "thorough" research on all of the companies and the machines they manufacture. I was surprised. I know the Bernina is a great machine, but I have a Viking Diamond and love it.
    I don't understand your statement. Is it a question?

I have the Husqvarna Viking Sapphire 875. It has a 10" throat on it, sews wonderfully on quilts and garments.

Quote Originally Posted by mopec View Post
    I work for SVP, they own Singer,Viking and Pfaff; its an umbrella corporation.

From my understanding bottom weight is a finer thread. Like 60 wt.

·What does a clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by QandE2010 View Post
    I have the Pfaff 7570 and the Pfaff 2170. I do a fair amount of embroidery and quilting, so I wanted to upgrade to a machine with a larger throat and a bigger hoop. I went to my local dealer who sells both Bernina and Pfaff. He was very up front and told me some horror stories about the new Pfaffs since the merger. He showed me the difference in workmanship between the Pfaff creative vision and the Bernina 830. When all was said and done, I bought the Bernina. (The prices were comparable) I love the machine and the dealer is very patient with my many questions. I know some are sold on others brands, and that is "what makes the world go round ".
    I just finished a king size quilt on the 830 and was thoroughly satisfied with the results. Here is the link to that quilt:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t184776.html
    Good luck and let us know your final decision.
    I think I have decided: it is the Bernina. Too many horror stories for the Pfaff and so many people enamoured with their trouble free Berninas. Just waiting for a response from my dealer in Germany: or I could dump him and buy here in France!!

Just one question remains: Stitch in the Ditch foot. I know I need one..... Anyone know the reference number? For Bernina of course.

Thanks so much for your thoughts: it really helps.

Brabant, do you want a general SITD foot or do you want it for quilting? The walking foot for the 830/820 has an attachment available for SITD. I have one, but have yet to use it as I don't SITD very often. I'm more of a FMQ person.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Brabant, do you want a general SITD foot or do you want it for quilting? The walking foot for the 830/820 has an attachment available for SITD. I have one, but have yet to use it as I don't SITD very often. I'm more of a FMQ person.
    Golly Candace you are very helpful. I am very new to quilting. I have decided to do the patchwork by hand and then quilt on the machine. I like the idea of stitching in the ditch and the book I am using to learn from says "get a Stitch in the Ditch foot". I bought one for the Pfaff2144 I have but that is just a transient thing as I want to have the Bernina 820 as my real quilter. If the walking foot has an attachment and it comes with the machine, then it seems that is another point in the machine's favour.
    Once again many many thanks for all your real help and advice.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=cheezythequiltmaker;5126994]

"Another thing to consider is the Pfaff will almost certainly have a dual feed ( IDT) which is the pateneted built in walking foot which you can engage or not at will with most of the other regular feet. meaning you can piece with a 1/4 foot and have the benifits of the walking foot at the same time. I don't know if the bernina has this or not."

I have a Bernina 830 and they came out with dual feed before Pfaff. I love my Bernina. I even have a Bernina long arm table that I purchased when I bought my Bernina 830. The Bernina 830 is made for quilting! I has a very deep throat. They sell the LATs with the Bernina 830s because they work so well together. The Pfaff is less expensive and is a very good machine also, but just wanted to set the record straight about the dual feed! I use that with all my feet. I buy the feet that use dual feed.
    Last edited by jcrow; 04-11-2012 at 11:19 AM.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Quote Originally Posted by Brabant View Post
    Golly Candace you are very helpful. I am very new to quilting. I have decided to do the patchwork by hand and then quilt on the machine. I like the idea of stitching in the ditch and the book I am using to learn from says "get a Stitch in the Ditch foot". I bought one for the Pfaff2144 I have but that is just a transient thing as I want to have the Bernina 820 as my real quilter. If the walking foot has an attachment and it comes with the machine, then it seems that is another point in the machine's favour.
    Once again many many thanks for all your real help and advice.
    I'm not certain what will come with the 820 as the attachments that came with the 830 are different. I had to purchase my walking foot separately which is not a cheap tool. I do believe it comes standard with the 820, but do check on that. Also, the walking foot had been updated so make sure it's the NEW walking foot and not the older one. And the SITD attachment for the walking foot may be an additional purchase. I'm not sure if the SITD attachment is bundled with the new walking foot or not. Again, since I had the old walking foot, I bought the SITD attachment after it came out. I *think* the SITD attachment was about $30 here. These would be good questions for the dealer you go through and you may get the dealer to throw it in with your purchase.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast