Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice please on sew easy strata star >

Advice please on sew easy strata star

Advice please on sew easy strata star

Old 01-31-2015, 07:06 AM

Onalee, have you ever watched a Eleanor Burns video where she teaches you how to make bias binding because it really is not that difficult to do, there are many other people who teach it as well Jenny Doan also has a video. Good luck with your Strata topper!
Old 01-31-2015, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
Onalee, have you ever watched a Eleanor Burns video where she teaches you how to make bias binding because it really is not that difficult to do, there are many other people who teach it as well Jenny Doan also has a video. Good luck with your Strata topper!
Hello Maria,
No I never 'thought' of Eleanor for cutting on the bias...of course what a wonderful suggestion! I watched Jenny's but got confused with hers if I remember correctly, which is silly because she's a wonderful teacher. It's embarrassing because I'm sure it 'is' much simpler than what I've made it out to be. I'm going to search out Eleanor's video. Thanks so much Maria, for taking the time to suggest these two ladies :0)
Old 01-31-2015, 08:53 AM

Just wanted to add that I have never understood how to cut bias binding, either, and that whenever I try to quilt something I've birthed, it's very problematic if I quilt too closely. Somehow the pieces don't fit as well together after I turn as before

But then again I'm a little lazy with the pinning...
Old 02-01-2015, 03:58 AM

I have made five of these. If you are using cotton batting and press well the layers will stick together. I pin mine well and like Ruby quilter I stitch in the ditch point to point then quilt each section from the center out. I may start past the center so I don't have so many loose threads right in the center. I do have a pfaff with the even feed and never have had puckering. Use a walking foot to do your quilting. You can pull your loose threads to the back or hide them with a needle like Leah Day. Good luck. Just take your time, it's not hard.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:06 AM

I guess I've made seven of these instead of five. If you do a search on here for Star Spin Tutorial you will see pictures of one I did and some of the quilting.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dogwood Quilter View Post
I have made five of these. If you are using cotton batting and press well the layers will stick together. I pin mine well and like Ruby quilter I stitch in the ditch point to point then quilt each section from the center out. I may start past the center so I don't have so many loose threads right in the center. I do have a pfaff with the even feed and never have had puckering. Use a walking foot to do your quilting. You can pull your loose threads to the back or hide them with a needle like Leah Day. Good luck. Just take your time, it's not hard.
Thanks so much for your time and encouragement. I did exactly as Ruby Quilter suggested and not one pucker, or fold, I'm so very pleased. I did make more of this than necessary and you are right Dogwood Quilter it was easier than I thought it would be. I'm going to search for your post which shows your completed Star Spin pieces!
Old 02-01-2015, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

I'm not sure what size the Sew Easy Strata Star is, but I have often "birthed" quilts from placemats, table runners, to wall hangings and small baby/lap quilts. I use Warm & Natural batting, so after turning the quilt, I press with an iron to smooth the quilt out, then I pin often to rule out ripples or tucks. I will often, after quilting the main portion of the quilt, I will stitch a half inch to 3/4" around the edge of the quilt as a "fake" binding. Just pin often and you should be fine.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:11 PM

I have only birthed 2 small quilts and they came out well for my beginner status. I turned them right side out then SITD all over then done a 1/4" all around the outside of the quilt. They both turned out well in my opinion. Of course I am still considering myself a beginner. But I am still PROUD of how they came out.
Jeri