Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice  required for thin quarters please >

Advice required for thin quarters please

Advice required for thin quarters please

Old 01-02-2012, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by MAXIES2 View Post
Hello, I have just received my order of 20 quarter yard cuts , civil war scrap collection, from the Quilted Hen, and the material is lovely. I am wondering what pattern to use though. I am leaning to scrappy dissapearing nine patch but would enjoy any suggetions. I am wondering if I do do the d9p should I use the same colour for the middle patch that is cut through , I would have to use additional fabric, or not, if so would a sharp contrast say black be too much.
Thank you in advance for your help
Katherine.
PS Happy New Year to you all from England
IMHO, if you are using civil war fabrics, you should probably use a civil war era pattern. There many out there and a lot of them would be suitable for a beginning quilter. Just Google civil war quilt patterns and you should find something in you skill level. Just sayin.....
Old 01-02-2012, 07:48 AM

Absolutely gorgeous!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I made a pineapple from nothing but "skinny" quarters - civil war reproduction prints - and it turned out gorgeous.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]299128[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]299129[/ATTACH]
LOVELY! Now I know what I will do with a lot of my mismatch scraps from last year, I already love log cabins, and somewhere saw a pattern for this, just hadn't put the two together. I by the way never heard the fat quarters called thin quarters, is there a difference perhaps in the way they are cut?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I made a pineapple from nothing but "skinny" quarters - civil war reproduction prints - and it turned out gorgeous.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]299128[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]299129[/ATTACH]
Oh Wow!! That looks like it was a lot of work but so beautiful!!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:09 AM

That is absolutely gorgeous!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:19 AM

Awesome quilt.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

I'm working on my first DP9 and LOVE the pattern. Mine is done using the same fabric in the corners and the same fabric in the center. The rest is mixed. I think that using the same fabric in the center is a good idea. I don't know if black might not be too harsh because I don't know how dark your fabric selection is. At 9" you could do 4.5" squares to get the most bang for your buck. Personally, I like the scrappy look but I do like it when the corner squares are standing out a bit.
Attached Thumbnails dp9.jpg  
Old 01-02-2012, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by patdesign View Post
I by the way never heard the fat quarters called thin quarters, is there a difference perhaps in the way they are cut?
Yes, that is exactly the difference. A bolt of fabric is (usually) 44" wide. If you cut a quarter of a yard, it's 9 inches wide by 44 inches long. If you cut a half yard (18 inches), then cut it in half again (22 inches) you get a piece of fabric that is almost square at 18 x 22 inches. This is called a fat quarter, because it is still a quarter of a yard but instead of being skinny and long, it's fat and short. The actual "area" of the fabric stays the same. (9 x 44 = 396, 18 x 22 = 396.)
Old 01-02-2012, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by catmcclure View Post
What size is your quilt and how many "skinny" quarters did you use?
It's 64 x 64, although it would be really easy to make a different size. If I remember right, I think I used about 30 skinny quarters - 15 lights and 15 darks. 1/4 yard for the red centers, and I think I needed more than 1/4 yard for the yellow squares next to the red center, maybe it was 1/2 yard.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:26 AM

Beautiful quilt.