Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Afraid of new quilting setup -encouragement & advise needed here >

Afraid of new quilting setup -encouragement & advise needed here

Afraid of new quilting setup -encouragement & advise needed here

Old 01-03-2012, 09:54 AM

Jump in with both feet. Throw on some icky fabric or buy some cheap muslin for front & back and practice. I just got a new Innova setup and am kind of feeling the same way but I think it takes practice. You won't wreck it!
Old 01-03-2012, 10:59 AM

I started with sheets when I got my Juki. I felt like I'd never sewn before. I also took a Xanax from my mother's medicine when she died. I guess a glass of wine would have had the same effect.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:31 PM

Hello, well I did the same thing when I got my HQ 16 . It just sat there , My husband asked me one day art you going you use that machine. I told him I'm scared ,Well the only way your going to learn is to do it. So I did it and I loved it.
I have a A-1 long arm now, and quilt for other quilter's. Once you do your first quilt your get a bug to do more.
Good Luck
Old 01-03-2012, 01:18 PM

I'm with you!!! But now mine is in the garage in pieces because we downsized and I don't have room for it.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:08 PM

I know exactly what you are feeling. I hardly touched my Fun Quilter for several months after we got it. For some reason, I was terrified. Fortunately, my husband didn't push and let me take my time without heaping guilt on my head...I was doing enough of that on my own. One day, I was ready. I did some practice pieces and am now quilting real quilts and loving it. My best advice is to be kind to yourself. If you need time, take it. When you're ready, thread up your machine, put a large practice piece on your machine, warm up your machine, and just play. Get the feel it. If you need to, do another...and another large practice piece. (I use those practice pieces and dog and cat quilts). Work out your tension issues, if any, and proceed on to a real quilt...perhaps a donation quilt. You'll get there, and you'll have lots of quilts in your future that you will love working on.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:41 PM

I have read on several threads that we get these machines and frames and then we are afraid we will do something wrong when we get them. If only my hands would work as good as my brain I would have no problem with my frame. I think I know what to do but when I go to do it it does not turn out as good as I expected.

They tell me practise practise practise. I have had my frame for three years and just really started to use it the last six month but now I a snowbird so my frame is at home in Canada. I have all these LARGE quilts that need to be quilted. Of course they are way to big for my next generation frame.

Good luck.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:46 PM

Go for it! You won't know how hard it is if you don't give it a try. You will be so proud of yourself for getting started.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:54 PM

Yes I have been afraid, to start, then I get so sick of it I leap and wonder why I created all that anxiety.
LEAP!
Old 01-03-2012, 05:42 PM

Everyone probably feels the same way. When I got my Gammill 8 yrs ago I was scared to death to do anything, but I just jumped in and went with it. In the end a longarm, short arm and midarm are all just sewing machines and you need to feel that way and not let it intimidate you. If you're not already a member of MQP yahoo group join it, there is a wealth of information there and someone can always answer your questions. We were all newbies when we started. Jump right in there and start learning!!
Old 01-03-2012, 07:37 PM

I have and still am in the same boat. I spent the $ for a LA setup and i have only used it once. Dobn't feel bad just give yourself the time you need.