Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Leaders & Enders Setup

My Leaders & Enders Setup

I am sewing two 2" scrap blocks together as leaders/enders. The smallest scrap I keep in my "food chain" is 2" blocks. Anything smaller than that gets used as stuffing or is tossed. I always cut as many 2" squares from my scraps as possible. I keep them all mixed together in a drawer next to my sewing machine. I just grab two random pieces at a time to sew together. 2" blocks are the perfect size for leaders/enders and I really do save a lot of thread by using them. After they are sewn together and clipped off of my chained pieces I just throw them into a bin to be pressed and sewn together later. It will probably take forever and a day to get a quilt out of them, but little by little they are adding up quickly!
    Name:  l&ebox.jpg
Views: 3443
Size:  39.2 KBName:  seam guide.jpg
Views: 3461
Size:  37.3 KB
    Sometimes I'll just grab a handful and chain piece them for something "mindless" to do! I love my Nova Montgomery seam guide (it's clear but you can see it in the second picture if you look closely). It really helps my accuracy, especially with these small blocks!

I have listened to Bonnie Hunter talk about doing this and am meaning to start. Looks like you have a good handle on it, congrats.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

Yeah, I listened to Bonnie Hunter for a long time too and did nothing toward actually doing it. The key, for me, is to have blocks cut to size and ready to go right next to my machine. If I had to get up to get them, or cut anything, I would never do it. One day I just buckled down and cut as many 2" squares from my scraps as I could to make sure I had a large variety of squares ready to go. I finally decided that sewing two things together instead of wasting one piece (to save thread) just made too much sense! We'll see how my scraps come together at some point in the future (and I'll post pics!).

I just received Bonnie Hunters book Leaders and Enders...some beautiful quilts in the book, makes me want to go and cut everything into 2 inch squares...lol

Also check out http://weddingdressblue.wordpress.com/tutorials/, she has some great ideas that can be done as Leaders and Enders.

I have just finished piecing the top of a Fading Charms quilt, need to finish a strip of squares for the back and get it basted together. I was surprised how fast this came together with the 2 inch squares.

I would love to know what other people are leadering and endering!

JudyScents, thanks for opting that link. It led me to A Spoonful of Sugar blog. That's a great one, too.

I spied Nova's Seam Guide immediately. I love mine!

I am new to Leaders, etc. Why are you sewing them together? How they end up in a quilt? I think I need to do some research on this.

Linda

Sew little time and sew many ideas

If others are interested in the Seam Guide.... go to www.novamontgomery.com

Linda

Sew little time and sew many ideas

Linda, Check out this website: http://thecuriousquilter.wordpress.c...demonstration/

She talks about "Postage Stamp" quilts and putting the 2" blocks together. Good pictures too! This is what I'm working toward making.

Here is another great website about the benefits of leaders and enders

http://lollyquiltz.blogspot.ca/2010/...ee-quilts.html

Blog Entries
    I finally get it!!! After reading the link to lollyquiltz... I finally get it!! I must be very visual... could never quite understand the leader/ender thing...
    Thank you for sharing!!!!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

I have a shoebox or 3 of 2" squares and when doing scrappies I use them as sashing and borders, looks great.

I love making 4 patch posies, so after I get these cut out, I often use them as leaders and enders. I have the added fun of seeing the finished design show up after sewing the 4 squares together on their second run thru as leaders and enders!!!
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I love doing 4 Patch Posies so once I get a bunch cut out, I use them for leaders/enders. I have the added fun of seeing how the patterns turn out after the second run thru as L/E.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Thankfully don't need leaders or enders. I use two straight stitch only machines and they never eat fabric. One I use for piecing has the automatic thread cutter. I might lose 1/2" of thread, but, no more.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I've been doing this for a while and have several "pairs." I'm thinking about doing a kind of Irish chain. I've tried to sew a light onto a dark for now. It's a great idea!
    Sewing: Cheaper than therapy!

I do this with small strips to make a piano key border for finishing. It is a way to keep them organized and then you have sashing ready also.It is also mindless sewing when you do not have any "Get up and Go ". Hugs

Quote Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK View Post
    I have a shoebox or 3 of 2" squares and when doing scrappies I use them as sashing and borders, looks great.
    Here is a pic of a Scrappy Prairie Chicken quilt I am in the process of making using the 2" squares for sashing, I think it gives an added dimension and I like the effect so much that I am going to keep all my small squares now for sashing and borders for my scrappy quilts.

BTW I do know there are a couple of errors on the yellow blocks but I did so much unpicking on them I couldn't risk doing any more, it will be a reminder to me not to do any complicated quilting when upset!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love how that looks as sashing! I was thinking about doing the same thing -- I have made a few 12" blocks with my 2"block scraps and want to put them all together without destroying that scrappy look. I have to do it QAYG style so I must join the blocks in some creative way if I don't want each one defined too much. I think this sashing will work really well! Here are some of my completed blocks:
    Name:  postagestampblock.JPG
Views: 228
Size:  698.2 KB

Raven I love your blocks and can understand what you are saying as I had a challenge when trying out the Disappearing 16 patch. http://happyquiltingmelissa.blogspot...-16-patch.html The way the pattern works you end up with the tips of triangles cut off so lining them up or a plain sashing was a no-no so I decided on a fussy lined pattern sashing which draws your eye away from it, works for me, don't know about anybody else tho'
    Last edited by QultingaddictUK; 06-27-2013 at 02:32 AM.

I am going to start doing this too. wow.
    A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

I have 2 units of 5 drawers each. 1 1/2, 2 1/2. 3 1/2, Then bricks & charms. I've been doing this for about 3-4 years now. I find that I'm reaching for them all the time. I'm currently sewing 1 1/2" squares together as leaders & enders. They're so cute....Thank you Bonnie.

I have made two leaders and enders quilts. One was a Double Irish Chain with 2" squares from Bonnie Hunter's pattern and the other was a scrappy star quilt using 2 1/2" squares. I generally buy just a little extra fabric when purchasing for a pattern just so I can "feed" my stash of squares and strips. I keep my squares and strips sorted by size and value. Then, while watching TV, I pair up a light and dark square (for instance), right sides together, and I stack the pairs with them turned a 1/4 turn from the last one. I keep a stack by the machine, so I just have to quickly grab a pair and run it through...no time wasted.

I have several quilt tops I'm currently working on and a few that need to be quilted and bound soon, but I am just itching to get into my strips to make a scrappy log cabin. If you precut your strips into the proper lengths, you can use them for leaders and enders as well. Hmmmm...I may get started on the log cabin quilt after all!
    Laurlyn
    Innova 26" w/LS

Quote Originally Posted by running1 View Post
    I finally get it!!! After reading the link to lollyquiltz... I finally get it!! I must be very visual... could never quite understand the leader/ender thing...
    Thank you for sharing!!!!
    ---------

I encourage you to check out Bonnie Hunters' site, Quiltville.com. She is fabulous. I have 3 of her books and have been 'leadering and ending' for quite some time. If not for some eventual project, I'll work on parts of 2 different projects at the same time.

Currently, I'm 'leadering and ending' blocks for a scrappy pineapple block quilt.

Jane
    Jane

Quote Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
    ---------

I encourage you to check out Bonnie Hunters' site, Quiltville.com. She is fabulous. I have 3 of her books and have been 'leadering and ending' for quite some time. If not for some eventual project, I'll work on parts of 2 different projects at the same time.

Currently, I'm 'leadering and ending' blocks for a scrappy pineapple block quilt.

Jane
    Totally agree with you, this pic is a quilt I made using her pattern http://quiltville.blogspot.co.uk/200...oxy-stars.html

Great idea! Going to start cutting and sewing my 2" squares.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast