Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaders and Enders?

Do you all use leaders and enders when you piece? Actually I use them almost always. I leave one under the presser foot which is down and the needle down too when I shut my machine down. I pitch them when they seem to get too full. These are the small pieces that don't go in the scrap basket of course.

Yes, I use leaders and enders as it saves thread. I use a razor type letter opener to clip pieces apart.

Sometimes I use Bonne Hunt's technique of making other patches out of scraps....as my leader/ender.

I haven't ever used them but since my Pfaff sometimes wants to push fabric down through the plate they probably would save me alot of grief.

i also use them always, has saved me a lot of nasty words.lol

I use leaders (call them "thread bunnies" ) but not enders. Don't know why because it just end up being a leader.

Blog Entries
    I do occasionally, but mostly I have a stack of pieces next to my machine and I piece a block instead :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    I also use Leaders, and enders.i have for a couple years now..ever since i saw them on Bonnie Hunters site.

http://www.quiltville.com/

she has alot of free ideas and she gives me motivation!

Take the time to search her site, you will be happy you did!

Pam
    If you are doing the 9 patch challenge, why not you could be doing your 9 patch along with everything else.

I use them also but they aren't headed to the trash. I make simple blocks. This way, without even realizing it, you've got a scrap quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear61
    I haven't ever used them but since my Pfaff sometimes wants to push fabric down through the plate they probably would save me alot of grief.

Do you have a straight stitch plate you can use? That helped me alot on my pfaff 7570.

Blog Entries
    Bonnie's two books are fantastic about finding scrap fabric and using leaders and enders. Her patterns are so nice, all made with scraps from teeny tiny to shirt tails.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    I also use Leaders, and enders.i have for a couple years now..ever since i saw them on Bonnie Hunters site.

Thank you for the great website. I really got into it. Sharing is so much fun Thanks again.....

Blog Entries
    Bonnie really is wonderful! she has a book i want to get, called shirt tails (not the whole title, CRS tonight! lol)
    anyways, i have a boat load of mens cotton shirts i got off freecycle and and thrift shops..all cut up and and ready for that someday quilt!

Oh I learned that but forgot that little hint. Funny how we get stuck in our ways.

Quote Originally Posted by redquilter
    I use them also but they aren't headed to the trash. I make simple blocks. This way, without even realizing it, you've got a scrap quilt.

Use of leaders and enders was the very first tip my quilting instructor taught me. She said it twists the threads which helps keep them from putting loose while you are working on your blocks. I use them faithfully.

I guess I am the odd woman out here. I have tried to use them for awhile, I just don't see what the point is. My old Bernina has a thread cutter, that holds the threads, so they don't get pulled down under when you start your next seam. I have read about Bonnie using them to use in another quilt, but that would get me so sidetracked, I'd never get either finished.

Yup I use Bonnie's method, I have a stack of 2 inch squares that I piece as I sew other projects, I eventually make then 3 blocks wide, then start piecing the rows together, all while working on something else. I also try to piece two blocks at a time for the project I am actually working on so I always have something from the quilt I am doing under the needle, but when I can't do that I use the 2 inch blocks. I love it!!

Cheers!
    Rachel

Blog Entries
    Yes, all the time!

I use the leaders especially when I am piecing triangles. I can't leave the needle down on my machine and turn it off. It is computerized and it messes up the timing. I always left my needle down on my old mechanical machine.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by franie
    Do you all use leaders and enders when you piece? Actually I use them almost always. I leave one under the presser foot which is down and the needle down too when I shut my machine down. I pitch them when they seem to get too full. These are the small pieces that don't go in the scrap basket of course.
    me too; exactly as you do.

Quote Originally Posted by redquilter
    Same here, I have a scrap quilt done by the time I am done with reg one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide

OMG - I just spent 1 1/2 hours at her site, and I put lots of her quilt ideas in my Favorites. Thank you so much! Her ideas for 2" blocks as Leaders and Enders alone is fabulous.

OK, I'm going to try this on my next project! Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

Here's what I don't get about Bonnie's technique of using another patch for leaders and enders: won't you just have the same problem with that patch that you would have with your current piecing without a leader? It doesn't make sense to me, so I have never used them.

I use leaders but don't use enders.

Jois

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast