Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Leaders and Enders?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
    Here's what I don't get about Bonnie's technique of using another patch for leaders and enders: won't you just have the same problem with that patch that you would have with your current piecing without a leader? It doesn't make sense to me, so I have never used them.
    The ender is left on the machine throat plate beneath the sewing foot and automatically becomes the leader when you begin to sew again. If you always use your scrap project as leader/ender, you are actually sewing on two projects each time you use your machine.

If your scrap pile consists of simple blocks, just toss what you have sewn into a separate basket and your completed sections will build up gradually. I like to chain piece so this is right up my alley. :-)

Thanks Kay! Now I get it! Sometimes I am just plain dumb!

Blog Entries
    You're not dumb...... It's late and you've probably had a busy week. Give yourself a hug!!!! :-)

I sometimes read a pattern over and over before something sinks in. When I'm tired, I am far from being with the program, so to speak.

Yeah, it's late, but I have been muddling over that leader ender thing for a LONG time! Thanks for clearing it up!

Bonnie Hunter's new book is called "Adventures with Leaders and Enders." You can find out more information here: http://www.quiltville.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear61
    I haven't ever used them but since my Pfaff sometimes wants to push fabric down through the plate they probably would save me alot of grief.

Do you have a straight stitch plate you can use? That helped me alot on my pfaff 7570.
    Actually I don't, did your machine come with two plates or did you buy one after? I have a 7550, so I think it is just the older version of the same machine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kay carlson
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
    Here's what I don't get about Bonnie's technique of using another patch for leaders and enders: won't you just have the same problem with that patch that you would have with your current piecing without a leader? It doesn't make sense to me, so I have never used them.
    The ender is left on the machine throat plate beneath the sewing foot and automatically becomes the leader when you begin to sew again. If you always use your scrap project as leader/ender, you are actually sewing on two projects each time you use your machine.

If your scrap pile consists of simple blocks, just toss what you have sewn into a separate basket and your completed sections will build up gradually. I like to chain piece so this is right up my alley. :-)

You explained it well! i chain piece also. I have a small plastic basket off to the side with 2" inch pieces. when i finish a quilt and scraps leftover, i continue cutting them down to 2". then i put then right sides together while watching tv. they are all ready to go.
    it is really important that use a leader of some sort when sewing angles! (or if your machine has the single hole plate,use it, mine does,but i rarely put it on :roll: )

tmg
    I use them but I was told it was called a spider because of all the little legs. It took me a few to figure out what you were talking about.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    I also use Leaders, and enders.i have for a couple years now..ever since i saw them on Bonnie Hunters site.
    http://www.quiltville.com
    Take the time to search her site, you will be happy you did!
    I read about this site earlier on the Board, and totally agree with you; it's a great site.
    Bought both her books; particularly like Adventures with Leaders and Enders.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
    I haven't ever used them but since my Pfaff sometimes wants to push fabric down through the plate they probably would save me alot of grief.

Do you have a straight stitch plate you can use? That helped me alot on my pfaff 7570.
    Actually I don't, did your machine come with two plates or did you buy one after? I have a 7550, so I think it is just the older version of the same machine.

Hi Mamabear, I bought my straight stitch plate separetely, but it was a good investment. My fabric doesn't *go down the hole* anymore! Your 7550 is identical to my 7570 except mine has embroidery capability. It's been several years since I bought my straight stitch plate, but I'm thinking it was around $30 + or -.

I always have two projects going at one time. This way I leave one project in the machine as I press/trim the first. Then as I feed the first project back into the machine I take the second one off to press/trim. I keep going back and forth. This process does slow the completion of each project down a bit but it helps me with my attention deficit disorder as I don't get bored with my projects.

LOVE!! leaders and enders

makes me think that I'm being productive, even when I'm just pootling about....

That's what I have been told too
    Quote Originally Posted by EdieClay
    Use of leaders and enders was the very first tip my quilting instructor taught me. She said it twists the threads which helps keep them from putting loose while you are working on your blocks. I use them faithfully.

Quote Originally Posted by franie
    Do you all use leaders and enders when you piece? Actually I use them almost always. I leave one under the presser foot which is down and the needle down too when I shut my machine down. I pitch them when they seem to get too full. These are the small pieces that don't go in the scrap basket of course.
    What a timely question! I just started quilting seriously during the last 6 mos (after sewing for 42 years) and was just thinking about this yesterday. So I guess the answer to this question is: I do now.

Ok, I give up. What is a lender ender???? Please explain.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BertBarbWink
    Ok, I give up. What is a lender ender???? Please explain.
    It's a small enuf to be useless piece of fabric that you end your sewing with (ender), needle down so that when you next begin to sew you can start right up (leAder)

FYI The ladies name that uses the leaders and enders is Bonnie Hunter, not Bonnie Hunt.

FYI The ladies name that uses the leaders and enders is Bonnie Hunter, not Bonnie Hunt.

Thanks for answering so quickly. One more question, if I use an ender, then I don't have to back stitch to secure the stitching? I am lov'en this sight!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmg
    I use them but I was told it was called a spider because of all the little legs. It took me a few to figure out what you were talking about.
    Me too. I use my spiders until they are just a wad of thread then I start a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by BertBarbWink
    Thanks for answering so quickly. One more question, if I use an ender, then I don't have to back stitch to secure the stitching? I am lov'en this sight!!!
    If I am sewing something that will eventually go into a block I never back stitch as the stitching that will eventually run parallel when i make the block will lock the stitches if that makes sense. Also with my leader and enders, I cut up usable 2 inch squares, and I use those for my enders (which become leaders), I just sew a 1/4 inch seam on them, and as I do more I eventually get enough to make a block, that way the thread isn't wasted, it's used for a whole new quilt!!

Cheers!
    Rachel

I sometimes use leaders but have never used enders. I will now, I learn so much from you all, Thanks.

I usually have another quilt in mind and am piecing on it for my leaders and enders

I am going to have to try it. I am tired of my machine eating the beginning of my HST's.

I always use starters but I haven't seen the need for the enders.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast