Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Leaders & Enders and What Should I Do With These?

With the leftover denim & flannel from rag quilts I've been making these four patches. Any ideas on what I should do with them? This is also my "leader & ender" project I learned to do from www.quiltville.com. I keep the box by my machine and sew one patch at the end of whatever else I am making ~ in addition to making progress on this side-project I don't have to deal with those long threads. Constant chain piecing!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would keep making more til there is enough for a donation quilt,or a quilt for a gift. It's great to use up those left overs like that.

Wow, you are very organized...
    I would just keep stitching away as suggested until you have enough for a scrap quilt.
    K

what kind of scrap quilt? Should I just sew all the 4 patches together or maybe make a scrap irish chain? maybe I'll get more done then post a photo then? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaK
    Wow, you are very organized...
    I would just keep stitching away as suggested until you have enough for a scrap quilt.
    K

are the pieces different fabrics or the same? that went right over my head.

Blog Entries
    I think Ninnie does that too - may want to give her a shout. 4-patch is such a fun pattern. You can alternate with a feature fabric or snowball or....

The blocks are made from 2 flannel 2.5 inch squares and 2 denim squares - the denim is consistant but the flannel is all different. I made rag quilts from denim & flannel for donations and I cut the tiny leftovers into 2 1/2 inch squares. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    are the pieces different fabrics or the same? that went right over my head.

Blog Entries
    Don't you eventually have to cut threads?

I totally admire your project and organization!!!

You could always make four squares and set them on point, or sash them if you want to make something the same. I would just keep sewing them together.

I was doing the same thing with leftover navy and cream squares. I am now putting then together with a single square of cream tone on tone (4-patch block and then a plain square then 4 patch, etc, alternating on the next row.) So far, it's looking good!

thanks. i emailed her. i am also thinking about a scrappy irish chain
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I think Ninnie does that too - may want to give her a shout. 4-patch is such a fun pattern. You can alternate with a feature fabric or snowball or....

I just had to tell you how jealous I am of your organization! I used to be ... not so much anymore. Good luck with your project.
    Di

I think I am more complusive then organized ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabriholic
    I just had to tell you how jealous I am of your organization! I used to be ... not so much anymore. Good luck with your project.
    Di

I think they would make a lovely youth quilt. May be a bit heavy for a baby quilt.

ha! yes, I guess I do eventually have to cut threads....

i like the idea of setting these on point! thanks :-)

Quote Originally Posted by b.zang

I totally admire your project and organization!!!

You could always make four squares and set them on point, or sash them if you want to make something the same. I would just keep sewing them together.

thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by grammyp
    I think they would make a lovely youth quilt. May be a bit heavy for a baby quilt.

[quote=yolanda]The blocks are made from 2 flannel 2.5 inch squares and 2 denim squares - the denim is consistant but the flannel is all different. I made rag quilts from denim & flannel for donations and I cut the tiny leftovers into 2 1/2 inch squares. Does that make sense?

Why don't you back the four patch with either flannel or denim, stitch an x from corner to corner and make into another rag quilt? I have turned regular blocks into rag blocks successfully, and you have the perfect fabrics to fray already. You could sew four 4 patches together too, and then back them as above to get larger blocks.

I would lay them out in groups of 4 , 4patches, and use black sash them. It would really set them off. and It would make a great quilt for a child or for a man in your life. you could also alternate them with an old fashioned block, say a churn dash block, or a simple star block. then the 4patches would blend into the background, and would show off the other block. Does that make sense?
    how big are the blocks? to get a sense of what size square you would need between them.

Wow - good idea and I have some black flannel left over. The four patch is 4.5 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninnie
    I would lay them out in groups of 4 , 4patches, and use black sash them. It would really set them off. and It would make a great quilt for a child or for a man in your life. you could also alternate them with an old fashioned block, say a churn dash block, or a simple star block. then the 4patches would blend into the background, and would show off the other block. Does that make sense?
    how big are the blocks? to get a sense of what size square you would need between them.

All these great ideas are encouraging me to get those little four patches sewn faster --- thanks everyone. I will keep sewing these and then lay them out and take some pictures to show you all before I decide. I think I would like to try Ninnie's idea of sashing with the black or using another block with them.

I do leaders and enders just like this too and I never have to cut threads unless I am going to do something other than straight piecing or if I need to change thread colors for some reason. So long as I am not starting or stopping in the middle of fabric I can use a leader or ender block. I have gone through a whole roll of bobbin without cutting a thread! I love it. I just keep my little 2Ē squares around to use, and when I have enough of those to make a quilt, I just cut more for another quilt. LOL

So far as what to do with them, I made mine 9 patches that are totally scrappy except they all have a black block as the center. I have not decided what to do with them either yet, but I think I will either sash them with black or just sew them into rows and call it a quilt! :)

Cheers!
    Rachel

I'd love to see pictures of any leaders/ender quilts or layouts!!

Quote Originally Posted by athenagwis
    I do leaders and enders just like this too and I never have to cut threads unless I am going to do something other than straight piecing or if I need to change thread colors for some reason. So long as I am not starting or stopping in the middle of fabric I can use a leader or ender block. I have gone through a whole roll of bobbin without cutting a thread! I love it. I just keep my little 2Ē squares around to use, and when I have enough of those to make a quilt, I just cut more for another quilt. LOL

So far as what to do with them, I made mine 9 patches that are totally scrappy except they all have a black block as the center. I have not decided what to do with them either yet, but I think I will either sash them with black or just sew them into rows and call it a quilt! :)

Cheers!
    Rachel

That is a very smart idea. You get a lot done on the other quilt without even trying. I used to cross stitch while watching television. I would be amazed at how much I could do while watching a two hour movie.

Quote Originally Posted by yolanda
    I'd love to see pictures of any leaders/ender quilts or layouts!!

I will take a picture of one quilt I did. It ended up being an Irish chain (though I didnít know that was the name of it at the time). I made some patches and then when I went to do the quilt, I filled in where I needed to. I am working on quilting that one now, canít wait to have it done as I totally love it!! I havenít decided on what to do with the 9 patch blocks I have, but I donít have enough to make a whole quilt yet anyway. I just piece them together as I go. Sometimes I will sit down and work on putting them together in whole 9 patches without working on another quilt at the same time, but usually I just do it leader/ender style. :) But there are plenty of patterns out there that start with 4 patches, just find one you like and add a few extra pieces and youíll have a beautiful quilt!

Cheers!
    Rachel

LOVE this idea.... very unique