Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Leaders & Enders and What Should I Do With These? >

Leaders & Enders and What Should I Do With These?

Leaders & Enders and What Should I Do With These?

Old 04-12-2010, 07:59 PM

I just had to tell you how jealous I am of your organization! I used to be ... not so much anymore. Good luck with your project.
Di
Old 04-12-2010, 08:03 PM

I think I am more complusive then organized ;-)
Originally Posted by Fabriholic
I just had to tell you how jealous I am of your organization! I used to be ... not so much anymore. Good luck with your project.
Di
Old 04-12-2010, 08:04 PM

I think they would make a lovely youth quilt. May be a bit heavy for a baby quilt.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:07 PM

ha! yes, I guess I do eventually have to cut threads....

i like the idea of setting these on point! thanks :-)

Originally Posted by b.zang
Don't you eventually have to cut threads?

I totally admire your project and organization!!!

You could always make four squares and set them on point, or sash them if you want to make something the same. I would just keep sewing them together.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:08 PM

thank you!
Originally Posted by grammyp
I think they would make a lovely youth quilt. May be a bit heavy for a baby quilt.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:59 PM

[quote=yolanda]The blocks are made from 2 flannel 2.5 inch squares and 2 denim squares - the denim is consistant but the flannel is all different. I made rag quilts from denim & flannel for donations and I cut the tiny leftovers into 2 1/2 inch squares. Does that make sense?

Why don't you back the four patch with either flannel or denim, stitch an x from corner to corner and make into another rag quilt? I have turned regular blocks into rag blocks successfully, and you have the perfect fabrics to fray already. You could sew four 4 patches together too, and then back them as above to get larger blocks.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:20 AM
Power Poster

I would lay them out in groups of 4 , 4patches, and use black sash them. It would really set them off. and It would make a great quilt for a child or for a man in your life. you could also alternate them with an old fashioned block, say a churn dash block, or a simple star block. then the 4patches would blend into the background, and would show off the other block. Does that make sense?
how big are the blocks? to get a sense of what size square you would need between them.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:13 AM

Wow - good idea and I have some black flannel left over. The four patch is 4.5 inches.

Originally Posted by Ninnie
I would lay them out in groups of 4 , 4patches, and use black sash them. It would really set them off. and It would make a great quilt for a child or for a man in your life. you could also alternate them with an old fashioned block, say a churn dash block, or a simple star block. then the 4patches would blend into the background, and would show off the other block. Does that make sense?
how big are the blocks? to get a sense of what size square you would need between them.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:17 AM

All these great ideas are encouraging me to get those little four patches sewn faster --- thanks everyone. I will keep sewing these and then lay them out and take some pictures to show you all before I decide. I think I would like to try Ninnie's idea of sashing with the black or using another block with them.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by b.zang
Don't you eventually have to cut threads?
I do leaders and enders just like this too and I never have to cut threads unless I am going to do something other than straight piecing or if I need to change thread colors for some reason. So long as I am not starting or stopping in the middle of fabric I can use a leader or ender block. I have gone through a whole roll of bobbin without cutting a thread! I love it. I just keep my little 2” squares around to use, and when I have enough of those to make a quilt, I just cut more for another quilt. LOL

So far as what to do with them, I made mine 9 patches that are totally scrappy except they all have a black block as the center. I have not decided what to do with them either yet, but I think I will either sash them with black or just sew them into rows and call it a quilt! :)

Cheers!
Rachel