Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AFTER the bleeding :(

I, too, am a fan of Oxyclean.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Have you tried one of those stain/bleach pens? Try the pen on a similar fabric (scrap color and white) that has bled. Lay it on a small screen such as a sweater screen placed over a sink or bathtub. Take a little conditioner(yes hair) and apply to the color edge. Use the pen on the white or lighter color, let set(or it may start working immediately). Depending how it starts to work then rinse with warm water while it is laying flat on the screen. Yes I did say hair conditioner. I've also seen Dawn dish soap wash it right out. The reason for the screen is when you rinse with water, it goes down through the screen, if you try on a towel it can bleed again and there would be telltale color left. I wash everything I bring home. Goes straight into the washer on warm water and regular cycle. Prints with white get color catchers. I've seen colors bleed on prints with light to white in the same fabric. Would be one thing if the lighter would be totally but when it's haphazard and looks more like a stain, that bites.

This is the number one reason I'll never own a front loader washer. They simply do not use enough water in the wash to float away excess dyes.

I treated a few areas with a bleach pen, then am washing again with color catchers. Will report back. I also found a product called Carbona...supposed to remove color-run stains? Though I hate to go from worse to completely ruined!

I had red and white fabric that bled when I was prewashing a full load - it came out pink and red - used color catchers - be sure to follow the instructions - it all came out!

I have a cousin who swears she can get anything out by making a paste with oxiclean and water and applying it directly to the problem area before washing. Couldn't hurt.

Did I not JUST SAY I didn't want to go from worse to ruined? The color grabbers and bleach pen helped a little (and the pen took out some extra color, but not too bad) and then I tried the Carbona anyway?! It started pulling dye from the fabrics like crazy. No, not just the stains. The nice deep red in some of the stripes on the back, etc. OMFG! I whisked it out of the sink and into the washer with more color grabbers. My poor friend is going to get a quilt that will need to stay folded. Or else he doesn't get one. I'd cry if I weren't so aggravated.

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. This is why I always prewash all my fabrics. And don't do exchanges anymore.Hopefully the color grabbers will pick up some more of the dyes. I am sure the quilt will still be warm and useful for your friend, just tell him it is tye-dyed.

The Carbona ruined it. And I think it got to too much area of the quilt to even just cut it off. I should have known better. Like the saying goes, "The opposite of good is better." I'm going to be polite and not type the words I am thinking. I have never had this happen in any quilt, ever. The crying will happen later, I think. Or wine. Now just dumbfounded shock.

I remember my mom using Vinegar to set colors. Does this apply to quilting fabrics etc and would you apply vinegar to rinse cycle?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaDonna View Post
    I remember my mom using Vinegar to set colors. Does this apply to quilting fabrics etc and would you apply vinegar to rinse cycle?
    Vinegar was used to set some organic dyes. It does not work on the type of dyes used commercially these days. It won't hurt fabric, but it really does not do anything for the fabric.

Rit (like the fabric dye you can buy in the grocery store) makes a product to remove color that has bled onto other colors. You can find it next to the bottles of dye. I used it once years ago to remove red that had bled onto the white stripes of a cotton top. It worked well for that. I can't say how it might work on a quilt, but if all else fails, that might be an option to look into.

It's over. About a 2 x 3 block (maybe 30 x 45 inches) section of the quilt is ruined--imagine if you threw battery acid on it. Not sure if anyone would have a use for a 39 x 70" quilt....maybe as a lap quilt? That is the only option...cutting off the bad part to make a rectangle again, and re-binding. I am not in love with this project enough to go back and piece a bunch of squares, try to fit them back on, re-do quilting, etc. What kills me is the money I put into having it quilted is gone. (less worried about my time, and I bought all supplies in the late 90's).

Which leaves me with the dilemma of....who gets the good quilt of the pair? My friend or the Wounded Warriors? I'm so bummed. and mad at myself.

Oh my word. What a ghastly thing to happen to your hard work.

Seems to me no reason to be mad at yourself? You tried your best to fix something that was not fixable, alas .

If your friend needs a quilt and the good one is suitable, I would gift it to your friend. If not suited to your friend, then WW. And whoever doesn't get the good quilt can wait until you have time and inclination to make another that is just right.

Perhaps the non-bleeding parts of the other could be rebound and gifted to a local animal shelter?

I'm so sorry things turned out this way! I agree with toolazy, give the surviving quilt to your friend. Perhaps the damaged quilt could be re-fashioned into a table runner or other item. I can see why you are hesitant to participate in a block exchange again. What a disappointment.

Just to show how bad it got. Name:  quiltfade1.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  1.55 MB fading in the dark blue
    Name:  quiltfade3.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  1.29 MB comparison of good and ruined part of back

Name:  quiltfade4.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  985.6 KB
    The front....faded out sashing on the left (obviously) compared to the true colors on the right.

Ow ow ow ow ow. That is worse even than I imagined.

Wow, that is the worst I've ever seen. I'm sorry all your time and effort (and some money) were wasted.

It would have been salvageable, had I not tried that last product. Huge lessons learned.
    The next quilt I'm going to finish has some bright blue next to white. I'll definitely use the color catchers, but I will be scared to death to wash it.

This is exactly the reason I always set the dyes in the fabrics I use for quilts! Not that I'm all that experienced, mind you, being still a rank amateur. I have the fabric all dye-set, washed, dried and ironed for a log cabin quilt. I spent about $300 for the fabric alone. But it's reds and whites and despite anything you do (just about) red will bleed. I discovered the Rit dye-setter almost by accident (honestly, I don't own stock in the company or anything), but I'm a believer. It also works for those who want to hand-paint! Enough said. It's a tragic thing to have a quilt bleed to that extent! I am so sorry this happened to you.

Jeanette Frantz

So sorry you had this experience. I'm pretty gun shy about sewn swaps, but do enjoy fabric swaps. I am not a pre-washer, but do wash with Syntrapol in the first washing of a finished product.

Bed runners are very popular right now... If you are considering cutting the damaged part away, maybe you could make it a bed runner?

It would be sideways if it was a bed runner....there is directionality to some of the blocks. What is left could be about 39 x 70. Maybe I'll cut out 2 x 3 blocks and 3 x 3 blocks and make two baby quilts?

All those who talk about pre-washing...remember, this was a block exchange. I didn't have pieces of fabric to pre-wash, and it was only 1-2 of the received blocks that bled (the ruined fabric in the photos is from one of the products I used to try to fix it--none of those fabrics ran in the first two washings). Or would y'all pre-wash the blocks before you put them into the quilt?

But a good lesson on doing too much to "fix" a problem.

Blog Entries
    I'm very sorry about the loss of your quilt. We become attached to these things when they are a part of our lives for several weeks.

I gift Color Catchers with every quilt I give away. I haven't been able to keep one for myself yet.

I have a piece of Maywood black in a bowl right now. The water is not pretty.

OMGosh! Read each successive post hoping for the best but it really is a goner. I'm so sorry this happened!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast