Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Aftermath

Blog Entries

The Aftermath

One of the fund raisers at the museum is to collect donations and have what amounts to a giant yard sale once a year. For a variety of reasons the event was held in May instead of the usual April. I think this is the reason why we only had about 50 quilters show up. I had about 9 tables filled with quilting cottons, three with notions, books, patterns, magazines, tons of yarn and non quilting fabrics (denim, wool, corduroy, broad cloth, drapery and upolstry, bolts of lace, flannel, fleece etc.). At the end of the event I filled about ten 48 gallon construction bags for recycling. I called about having them picked up (I had to drag them across the carpet they were so heavy) and was given an estimate of $500 to pick them up for recycling! Tomorrow I will make the necessary trips (several)to get all of it to Savers for recycling. Keep in mind that these bagsdo not include the left over cotton! Next year I am moving it back to April where it is "supposed" to be!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Debbie
    Machine It

Power Poster
    How disappointing!

Blog Entries
    I see some things I really would like. Too bad we all didn't live closer!!! All that work that you went to, I'm sorry for you!! Bolts of lace, WOW!! Lucky Savers.
    Last edited by sewellie; 05-03-2015 at 07:05 PM.
    sewellie

It takes real skill to choke on air, fall upstairs and trip over completely nothing .... I have that skill!!!

My plate may be full, but my cup runneth over with blessings.

Blog Entries
    Where is this???
    Nikki in MO

Well, I am sorry to hear of the low turn out. I would certainly have come and bought stuff...if I was closer.

Dina

Have you ever thought about selling the items on Ebay or Craig's List? I don't have any idea how a business would do it, but there has to be some way you could get some cash for all that stuff.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

I think, especially after the winter we had, that today's gorgeous weather was the major competition for this years fundraiser. I would have loved to come down for it (and to see the SAQA exhibit), but it just wasn't possible. I hope at least you came out on the plus side financially despite all the leftovers.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Oh my goodness. I would have LOVED to shop at this sale!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

What were your prices like? (for example, was it by the yard, or by the piece?) and what were the books bringing? Was it a "donation sale?"

I would certainly sort thru the stuff and donate the lesser quality stuff to Goodwill or Salvation Army and give it a try to sell the stuff on eBay so at least a little more cash comes into the fund raiser.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

My guild does one of these sales every year; I think our leftovers go to a local charity shop that specializes in re-selling things like fabric and yarn. The shop helps support the local senior center.

It's a fun sale, fabric is $2/lb which is sooo cheap. I pick up a lot of scraps for my crazy quilts, and some yardage too. This year I bought something like 13 yards of fabric in pieces 1-yard or more, plus a couple more yards worth of scraps and paid $10. Score!!! (Not that I needed any of it at all, but at those prices I couldn't resist!)

Blog Entries
    Oh my, I sure wish I could have gone. It looks like you have tons of fun stuff to choose from! Hope you have better luck next year.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    I think, especially after the winter we had, that today's gorgeous weather was the major competition for this years fundraiser. I would have loved to come down for it (and to see the SAQA exhibit), but it just wasn't possible. I hope at least you came out on the plus side financially despite all the leftovers.
    Since these are donations, every penny counted. I donate my time for this too. Also we have some wonderful things come in that are suitable for sale in the shop. I also bag scraps and FQs for sale in the shop so nothing gets wasted.
    Debbie
    Machine It

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    What were your prices like? (for example, was it by the yard, or by the piece?) and what were the books bringing? Was it a "donation sale?"
    It is by the bag, if you can carry the bag out.....The large items are goes with.
    Debbie
    Machine It

Blog Entries
    Oh my. I wish I could have been at that sale!!! If it were here I would donate it to the church. They make quilts for people in need.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

$500 to pick them up for recycling!
    Salvation Army here will come get left over yard sale items free. All we have to do is call and give them a time.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Contact me about your aftermath distribution.

Blog Entries
    very disappointing. I wish I was able to get there. looks like lots of good things are there.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I love that kind of sale. Its amazing what you can come across. If it had been near me I sure would have dropped in.

Blog Entries
    lots of stuff! what do the Recyclers do with it??

I'm sorry not as many showed up as expected. I would try and sell it on ebay like Manic said. If you do i'll buy some.

You did a wonderful job again! I know it must be a lot of work. Sorry so few people were aware it had changed and you had a low turn out. I hope the fun raiser still went well.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    How disappointing for you. It looks like you put a lot of work into it. As I live in Australia it wouldn't have been possible for me to come but if there was something like that near me I'd be there like a shot.
    I hope you get the turn out you expect next year. Best of luck.

What a shame- a lovely display of quilts.
    Liz Fairlie

I had my first yard/garage sale in April, all my fabric. I am moving and really need to down size, my stash. Well I had about 14 tubs of fabrics/books/needlework crafts and when my two days were done, I have 7 now. I sold about half of my stuff. A friend offered my her house for another sale and I accepted. I am planning on maybe June for the second one, then all that is left I will call four different groups that make quilts for children/vets/hospitals to get the stuff. I know I did well since I made over $1000 for the two days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast