Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt backing is minky

Blog Entries

Quilt backing is minky

Can anyone help me find the threads on quilting on the longarm with Minky as the backing. I thought there would be no problem but another longarm quilter told me she had lots of problems. I have only 2 days to get this quilt done.

Blog Entries
    I don't know where a thread is about it but I've quilted ( on my longarm) many quilts with minkie backing, it's our favorite backing. I've not ever had any problems. Lengthen the stitch length a little bit and remember to smooth the backing, don't pull- stretch it. I don't know what problems the one you talked to had so can't offer advice about that
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I quilt on a DSM and think that I would keep the minkee on top to avoid any stretchy.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I have never had any problems using minky on the LA. Just don't stretch it and I find a thin batting helps stabilize it. I have always been pleased with the results. When I take it off the frame I allow it to lay out and "relax."
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

I was apprehensive about quilting with a minkee back, but I actually did not have any problem at all.

I also have never had any problem with it. I treat it like any other backing. I would not use it on the front because then it would stretch. I have never used an interfacing with it either.

It helps to have the selvedge edges running on both sides, instead of lengthwise. That way the stretch is running side ways.
    Annette in Utah

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSunshine View Post
    I have never had any problems using minky on the LA. Just don't stretch it and I find a thin batting helps stabilize it. I have always been pleased with the results. When I take it off the frame I allow it to lay out and "relax."
    I haven't had any problems with minkee either, but I also spray baste the quilt before quilting on my DSM.
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

That is exactly how I quilted with minky as a backing. It's the least stretchy direction of the minky. I did not use spray basting and did use a batting. It's also how I quilt with fleece as a backing.

I made sure that the minky was not stretched out by the side leaders I use on my long arm. I used a medium density edge to edge quilting pattern. The quilt came out well.

Good luck!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. I will let you know how things go. I have a Nolting longarm and it has never, ever let me down so my hopes are high now that I have a little advise.