Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Age of bolt of E&W Quadriga Cloth >

Age of bolt of E&W Quadriga Cloth

Age of bolt of E&W Quadriga Cloth

Old 07-19-2014, 01:51 AM

I have a couple of yards of the same exact fabric. Mine is a little heavier weight than regular cotton, but not as heavy as decor fabric. It's one of THOSE fabrics that I've tried a hundred times to make myself use, but could not make myself cut into it!!! It reminds me of my Grandma. If you would consider maybe selling me some of you're yardage, please pm me. Oh, yes, I've had my piece since the early 80's and it was old and totally out of style then! But, Hey,it's given me lots of hours of fondling and refolding over the years!
Old 07-19-2014, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by mawluv View Post
I have a couple of yards of the same exact fabric. Mine is a little heavier weight than regular cotton, but not as heavy as decor fabric. It's one of THOSE fabrics that I've tried a hundred times to make myself use, but could not make myself cut into it!!! It reminds me of my Grandma. If you would consider maybe selling me some of you're yardage, please pm me. Oh, yes, I've had my piece since the early 80's and it was old and totally out of style then! But, Hey,it's given me lots of hours of fondling and refolding over the years!
I've sent you a PM.
The fabric I have is a fine smooth lightweight cotton. Odd that yours in the same pattern seems to be of a different weight.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by mawluv View Post
I wouldn't cut it--why not quilt along the lines (like a cheater cloth)?
Old 07-20-2014, 06:16 AM

Looks like 1960's to me.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:15 AM

I found the needleized cottons selling in ads for .59 a yard in l965. Supposedly the needleized made it easier to sew on.....didn't say what the process was.Check out: http://hartcottagequilts.com/his4a and http://info.fabrics.net/any-ew-prints-in-your-quilt/

Great history on Ely & Walker EW. Also check out this ad in Life Magazine after Burlington took over E&W. http://books.google.com/books?id=cEg...ompany&f=false See the grey and yellow, the same colors in your fabric from E & W 1956. Interesting history.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:17 PM

I remember learning to sew with Quadriga cloth in the '40's and 50's. It was purchased at places like The Golden Rule Department Stores. Penney's and Sears also had it. I believe it cost around $.39 or $.49 and was indeed 35 inches wide. I had lots of clothing made from it. I particularly remember making a skirt and blouse in my school colors-purple and Gold. The reason it was called Quadriga was because it used the same weight fabric in the warp and weft and was fairly coarse to the hand.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:51 PM

Very interesting history here. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
The reason it was called Quadriga was because it used the same weight fabric in the warp and weft and was fairly coarse to the hand.
That's odd... this fabric is a nice smooth cotton broadcloth.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:40 AM

I began sewing in 1964, it was around that time that fabrics became available in 45" widths. I remember the 35" fabrics and that patterns listed both widths in the yardage info.
I do not remember the term Quadriga or needlized, so I think your fabric is earlier than that.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by vintage*vendeuse View Post
That's odd... this fabric is a nice smooth cotton broadcloth.
It could just be a matter of perspective. When I think of smooth cotton, broadcloth is not the first thing that comes to my mind, cotton lawn is.