Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Age for I-Spy >

Age for I-Spy

Age for I-Spy

Old 07-05-2015, 02:02 PM

Default Age for I-Spy

I have a three year old nephew and am considering making him an I-Spy quilt. I have so much going on that he may very well be four before he gets it! What age is an I-Spy appropriate for? (No kids of my own, so I'm pretty clueless)
Old 07-05-2015, 02:04 PM

Any age is good. My 9 year old GS still loves his.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:12 PM

The kids (mostly <5 y/r) who came to my office where an "I Spy" was hung were pretty clueless. However, most had never seen any puzzles either. When I played the puzzles with them, they started to get it and wanted to play. Maybe with a little interactive play with the parents they would have enjoyed the "I Spy". I think 3-4 y/o would get some benefit from it. Maybe starting with cue cards rather than just words. What a learning tool!
Old 07-05-2015, 02:19 PM
IQ2

you can also start off by spying colors in the I spy blocks and then work your way up to the objects that are in them.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:28 PM

It depends on what you are using for the I Spy. If I am making it for a baby shower then I will use the baby style fabric and if the child is 2 years of age I use the Sesame Street things and the items aimed at that age group. But when I made them for my niece and nephew that were turning 4 and I used the Disney items, including the Disney Avengers and Star Wars. When it is for little ones I try to have 2 of everything so they can play the matching game - not so for the older one. But kids of all ages love them. What style are you thinking of using?
Old 07-05-2015, 07:17 PM
RST

I make I spy quilts in a more sophisticated collection of fabrics for senior citizen quilts. I think any age is fine, but you might want to use some preschooler appropriate novelty fabrics mixed in -- maybe some super heros, household items, sports stuff, foods.

You can make it even more fun by printing up a tag with a list of items to look for. IF you have a lot of novelty fabrics, maybe you can make it an ABC search -- items to represent every letter of the alphabet.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:30 PM

It took me quite a while to get my fabrics and quilts done for my grands. The oldest when he got his was 12 and he loved it and still does. Time to make him a different type now but he still loves his eye spy. They are fun to make too because you can use so many different prints.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:26 PM
Power Poster

Any age between new born & 99! Babies love the colors, as they get older kids love to search, look for items. I've made adult quits that the recipient comments about how every time they look at it they notice, see something more. They are timeless, just the content/ pictures, prints change to fit the recipient.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:54 AM
Power Poster

I agree. Select age appropriate fabrics than what a toddler would like such as sports and tools.