Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ahhhh annoying!!!

Ahhhh annoying!!!

So I'm merrily rolling along working on this quilt. It's the 4 patch Jacobs Ladder with white. SOOOO I'm about a third of the way through and I realize that I've been pressing to the WHITE on one particular part of every block! And in order to fix it, I'd have to dissasemble every single block! SO the conundrum is to keep making the same mistake on the rest of the blocks for uniformity, or fix it on the rest of them but then I'm afraid it will then make the mistakes obvious! arugh! (
    Kim

Wife to the love of my life. Mom to a Marine, a college student, an 12 year old 'surprise blessing', two Bichon Maltese brothers, and 3 kitties.

Blog Entries
    I hate it when that happens I think I would just proceed as I have already done and don't point it out to anyone. Use white batting and it won't show to anyone but you

Look at it and decide if it bothers you. If it does bite the bullet and undo. I find if I do a 'mess up' and it bothers me and I continue it will end up being the only thing I see. If it doesn't really bother you do it all the same. It's yours

Quote Originally Posted by LLWinston44 View Post
    So I'm merrily rolling along working on this quilt. It's the 4 patch Jacobs Ladder with white. SOOOO I'm about a third of the way through and I realize that I've been pressing to the WHITE on one particular part of every block! And in order to fix it, I'd have to dissasemble every single block! SO the conundrum is to keep making the same mistake on the rest of the blocks for uniformity, or fix it on the rest of them but then I'm afraid it will then make the mistakes obvious! arugh! (
    Let it go. Nothing is going to blow up or die. SOMETIMES, you have to iron toward light, anyway.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Yeah, it bothers me, but NO WAY am Ingoing to undo all those. A set of 8 averages 2 1/2 hours and I have 4 sets. Gonna have to bite the bullet and cringe as I finish it. Lol. Inthink youre right though, the batting and backing will hopefully hide it a bit. The wonderful person its for wont notice and even if she did she wouldnt care. :-)
    Kim

Wife to the love of my life. Mom to a Marine, a college student, an 12 year old 'surprise blessing', two Bichon Maltese brothers, and 3 kitties.

Keep going like u said!
    Linda

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    "Just keep swimming.. Just keep swimming.. " ~ Dori, Finding Nemo

Blog Entries
    Just snip the seam at each intersection and repress to the other side. That's what every instructor I have taken a class from has said do when this happens.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    Just snip the seam at each intersection and repress to the other side. That's what every instructor I have taken a class from has said do when this happens.
    That's what I would do, too.

Alison

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    Let it go. Nothing is going to blow up or die. SOMETIMES, you have to iron toward light, anyway.
    That was a great reply, GrannieAnnie.
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

If it doesn't show through I would just continue on, The only reason to do that is sometimes darker fabrics show through. If its not the case than don't stress over it

Oh really!? I've never seen that. I'll have to take a look and see if I can do that!!! Thanks!
    Kim

Blog Entries
    Keep going! Don't worry about it. Unless you point it out, noone will ever notice. They will be looking at the quilt in general and how pretty it is. Not pick it apart to find your mistakes.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

If the "other" side of the seam isn't visible on the white side, I'd just let it go and now iron others to match what you already have.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Power Poster
    That's too bad, good luck.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Watch the world news tonight.
    Then watch something like the show "Addiction".
    The go back and look at your blocks.
    Now see if you really feel the problem is earth shattering enough to change it all.
    It's all in the perspective.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

What about just grading (trimming off just a little of the dark) the seam?
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Blog Entries
    What bellaboo said id do. But then what granny said makes sense too.

Yep, keep going!

I've done the snipping and I have also done the trim the dark a fraction so when it lies flat it will be hidden behind the white. You will have two layers of white with it pressed to the white and trimming the bottom fabric so it won't extend past the white will really help. Sounds like good TV work.

When snipping be careful and don't get too close to the seam and if you are afraid of fraying, use a dab of fray check.

I would do what BellaBoo said and move on! I bet when you are done no one will even notice.....well if you are like me I would notice because I did it! Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Sometimes our mistakes are our own greatest annoyances. Then yet sometimes they are the greatest accidental discovery ever.. Take a step back and look around, have a cuppa tea or coffee; then look at it with a refreshed mind. I have done so and the mistakes I think are mistakes, are the greatest accidental discovery for my quilts. Then whoever I am sewing for thinks I have specifically designed for them.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    You can just trim the seam allowance of the colored fabric narrower than the white in the sewn ones if possible. That might minimize the look and using white batting will also help a lot!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

My son is in Afghanistan. I'm well aware of what's going on in the world and on the news. Quilting is what I do to make myself feel better and less worried about what's going on, what my son is doing and how all this will affect him, us and the world. I don't really like to watch the show Addiction..... like I said, quilting is what I do to feel good. I definitely don't consider my current issue with my quilt on the same scale as any of those things, or any other. It's just a small issue that I brought to the board, to people that understand since in my world I'm the only quilter and people just don't 'get it'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Watch the world news tonight.
    Then watch something like the show "Addiction".
    The go back and look at your blocks.
    Now see if you really feel the problem is earth shattering enough to change it all.
    It's all in the perspective.

Jan in VA
    Kim

Blog Entries
    If your white seams are behind your white fabric, and you use white batting, won't it all just blend in anyway?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast