Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
All About Thread and Material Brands >

All About Thread and Material Brands

All About Thread and Material Brands

Old 03-07-2018, 10:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
don't use serger thread on long arms--serger thread is not as strong, it's made to be used with several threads to create the seam. Long arm thread is made to roll out 1200 stitches "lickity-split". I prefer all Superior threads and also Glide by Fil-Tec; but also YLI and Signal, Marathon, etc. Just make sure they are not their serger or embroidery machine threads.
If you are asking about the fabrics for backing (since you mentioned using pre-cuts), I like Moda's muslin which is very soft and not too sheer.
I use machine embroidery thread on my long arm with no issues. It's 40wt polyester thread, why do you think it shouldn't be used?

Cari
Old 03-08-2018, 12:33 AM

Thanks! Lots to learn, but having fun doing it.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:07 AM

i only use superior thread on my long arm
Old 03-08-2018, 05:54 AM

Hi and Welcome! Try Red Rock Threads for thread and notions. They have a good selection, their prices are good, nice return policy, and pretty fast shipping. For fabric I try to stick with Missouri Star Quilt Co. They give little handwritten notes on their invoices. But there's also Hancock's of Paducah, Keepsake Quilting, E-Quilter. I don't know about other Wal-mart stores, but the one close to me has such a small selection that I don't consider it anymore. Any fabric or quilt shops are at least an hour away so I mostly shop online.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:23 AM

erior makes great threads overall for boty. I also love isacord anything wonderfil. I have only tried superior on my handiquilter but used the others in my regular machine.fabrics I like moda, hoffmann, kauffman, northcott, benartex, Micheal miller. There are a ton of brands it's best to learn the feel of quality fabrics so you know one even if you go places like joanns because quality at all stores and quilt shops vary. I also like connecting threads especially their flannel
Old 03-09-2018, 04:32 AM

This may sound strange but the more expensive threads do not work for me as well in my Janome sewing machine as the better Coats & Clarks thread.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:23 AM

When I first started quilting I was told that serger thread was fine for piecing and quilting. Boy was that person wrong. I made a king-size quilt for my bed that developed lots of toe catchers from the popped quilting stitches. Serger threads are designed to be used with more than one thread at a time. They are not strong on their own. Superior Threads, Aurifil, YLI, and others have good quilting thread. Visit their websites. Buy the best quilting thread that you can.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:28 AM

Do NOT use serger thread for either piecing or long arm quilting. It is not strong enough........Your Handi Quilter will (with correct tension settings) allow you to use just about any brand of thread out there. Either 100
% cotton or Tri-Lobal polyester but use 40 weight.................Have fun!!!!!
Old 03-09-2018, 07:45 AM

There was a discussion on the board some time ago about old thread deteriorating. I can't remember the explanation, but since then, I've tried using up my older thread first.

I like the idea of using cotton thread with cotton fabric, so I've only used Superior Threads King Tut on my Sweet 16, top and bottom, and am happy with the results.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the fabric sold at your LQS, which are the same brands sold by on-line vendors. I love the texture of Art Gallery fabric. I only buy yardage and FQs, so can't recommend a vendor for accurate jellyrolls (I've heard they are not always cut consistently).

Fabric Shack is one of my favorite on-line stores. They have a good selection, it's easy to search, their service is quick and the shipping price is very low. For modern fabrics, Hawthorne Threads is great. I also frequently shop at Shabby Fabrics and Fat Quarter Shop.

Welcome to the board and to the wonderful world of quilting!
Old 03-09-2018, 11:48 AM

Welcome from Phoenix---land of a whole lot of quilt shops.