Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It all depends . . . . >

It all depends . . . .

It all depends . . . .

Old 12-13-2009, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Originally Posted by JoanneS
My least favorite question is the one NON-quilters ask when they see one of my quilts - How long did it take to make it? Unless you're making it to sell, who keeps track of the time?
Do you count planning time? Do you count shopping time? Do you count washing and ironing time?
I don't keep track of ANY time!!! LOL
Old 12-13-2009, 02:58 PM

I wish someone could tell me how to get every piece just exactly the same and how can you stay in the ditch when you are trying quilt in the ditch. Is there some magic I don't know or am I just plain dumb. I cut my last quilt showed it on here in an another thread I was so careful cutting each little square and still half of them were not the same. And as hard as I tried to stay in the ditch I got off several time because the points of the squares didn't meet right. uggggggggggggggggg I think I will give up and just make blankets (one piece blankets)lol
Old 12-13-2009, 05:52 PM

Sherrylea, it gets easier! It is that quarter inch that gets me every time! The more seams there are, the more off I can get! It is one of those things that you get used to. I often cut more generous to off set my sewing. And I square up often! It all depends on the fabric and the pattern!
Old 12-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SherryLea
I wish someone could tell me how to get every piece just exactly the same and how can you stay in the ditch when you are trying quilt in the ditch.
My machine has a stitch-in-the-ditch foot that works really well. It has a little blade that runs down the ditch. Weeeeellll sometimes it jumps the track. hehe.

Another tip is to press the top firmly and have the seams go in the same direction if possible. Make sure the top is nice and flat in the sandwich.

It is easy to get tired and when your shoulders get tired, you have less control over the quilt. So sew smaller increments at a time. Then take a break from SIDing.

A glass of wine helps me relax, but I would not suggest that anyone else should drink.

A last point: When the quilt is finished, bound, and washed, odds are that nobody but you will know that some of the ditches are a little wobbly.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Power Poster

I hope nobody mistook this post as a criticism. I think these ?? are all very valid and important. Even today, I still learn new tricks and ideas about tried and true quilting concepts. This forum is what helping and supporting each other is all about.

I really thought for the longest time that there was supposed to be ONE way to do things. Color me surprised!
Old 12-14-2009, 07:23 AM

Thanks to all of you I am gong to start another quilt that I bought the material a year ago for and I printed all of your suggestions, and madquilter I 100% agree with having a glass of wine. My Dr. told me to drink a glass a day and it would help my nerves, but he did stress 1 glass lol lol
I have the sew in the ditch foot for my machine, but forget to use it I definately use it next time. I always wash and starch my stuff before I start. Thanks again and everyone have Merry Christmas and a Happy Holiday season.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Loretta
Are there two ways to do a stitch in the ditch? I see them done where the stitching is intentionally done in a line away from the ditch. I thought SITD meant you couldn't see the stitiches at all.
I also thought SITD was in/on the seam line
Old 12-14-2009, 07:45 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I have my own variation of SITD - I call it 'a drunken stroll in and out of the ditch' OR 'taking the scenic route'! :mrgreen:
Old 12-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
I have my own variation of SITD - I call it 'a drunken stroll in and out of the ditch' OR 'taking the scenic route'! :mrgreen:
:? :)
Old 12-14-2009, 08:08 AM

The stitch in the ditch foot works really well when you are sewing the binding in the ditch.
For quilting the walking foot is best as the ditch foot is not made for even feeding thru the feed dogs.