Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It all depends . . . . >

It all depends . . . .

It all depends . . . .

Old 12-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

I think I use K's method :lol: :lol:

Seriously....I find that I am NOT a perfect quilter and my seams do not always line up perfectly...so I use mono thread for my SITD so that I can keep my stitching straight and it won't show up when I'm not exactly in the ditch on the seam line. I've found that somehow it kinda hides my lack of perfection. :wink:
Old 12-14-2009, 05:10 PM
Power Poster

most people don't look that closely
Old 12-14-2009, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
I have my own variation of SITD - I call it 'a drunken stroll in and out of the ditch' OR 'taking the scenic route'! :mrgreen:
I love it That's what I will call mine from now on.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Power Poster

I can't call mine "taking the scenic route" because I am notorious for getting misplaced when I'm driving
Old 12-15-2009, 12:37 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I can't call mine "taking the scenic route" because I am notorious for getting misplaced when I'm driving
Hey Bear, it's not you who is misplaced, it's the road! :mrgreen:
Old 12-15-2009, 05:13 AM

I took a a beginner class with my sister who was just starting to quilt and didn't want to go alone. Because I had been making quilts for some time I kept my mouth shut and did exactly as she said...never mind I could have done what we were making in at least half the time. As we went along there were questions from the beginners and some would say, "my question may sound stupid but" and would ask the question. She said, "there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers and you have to find what works for you. These are the basics that you are learning." My sister is now a big time quilter but sometimes she will call me and if I can't help her I find someone who can.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

I can relate to a beginner's frustration when a question is answered with "it depends . . . ."

I felt that way when I was planning to buy a computer (the one I use is a hand-me-down from one of my sons) and the salesperson said "what are you planning to use it for?"

And I was at the "I don't even know how to operate the thing (actually, I still don't, but that's another story) but I want one" stage.

I had a boss that made the computer a lot less intimidating (this was in 1989) - he said - "Most people don't know how their cars operate. All they really need to know is to keep it on their half of the road and shiny side up" Similar thing with computers - most of us just need to know how to use the programs and don't need to know how the operating systems work.

I still like to keep pencil and paper handy, though. :)

"It all depends . . . " can also be a very liberating/freeing answer in that it implies that there is more than one "correct" answer.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

I sometimes think that "it all depends" actually helps...it leads to the next questions and helps pinpoint what you really need to know.

(I like the analogy of keeping the car shiny side up....it works!!) LOL
Old 12-15-2009, 10:06 AM

Welcome, Phil. You'll find very helpful people here, male and female. Many different opinions, many different experiences, and all of them voiced. This is a fun, helpful and caring place. All skill levels are welcome (thank Goodness!!!), and no question is considered "stupid".