Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
All singing all dancing Bernina 440QE - so excited >

All singing all dancing Bernina 440QE - so excited

All singing all dancing Bernina 440QE - so excited

Old 12-20-2010, 06:22 PM

Congrats. Shall we all message the giver of that treasure to explain that to ENJOY it on Christmas, you must set it up and start learning it now? Let us know how you find it for quilting, as you learn and play.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:23 PM

Love the black lab. What is his name? We have just rescued a second " minilab"
Old 12-20-2010, 06:28 PM

Maia, my husband laughed out loud when I read out your post !
Old 12-20-2010, 06:55 PM

Congrat's on the 440QE - I've had mine for over a year and love love it. Hope you like your cabinet. I stand up when I sew and have mine on my island. Don't know why you can wait - Happy holiday and have fun!!! :thumbup:
Old 12-21-2010, 03:37 AM

Still haven't decided on the cabinet yet, but great to have info from everyone here.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:12 AM

I have the Bernina 440QE and also the Horn table I quilt all of my own quilts and would not be able to do it without the BSR and the table My daughter came over to use them to finish a quilt and said she did not know what she liked best the machine or the table
Old 12-21-2010, 04:19 AM
BMP

You will love your machine, I just got mine and am still learning all the bells and whistles...
Old 12-21-2010, 05:08 AM

Wish I could give some advise, but my "sewing table" is a five foot wide computer desk with a ton of leg room that I picked up at a thrift store. We cut a hole the dimensions of the base of my machine, and slipped her inside the hole to sit snuggly and securely on the keyboard shelf. I did make sure the shelf was VERY well secured to the sides of the desk before trusting it with the weight of my "baby" (Naomi the Janome). Actually, the fit is so snug that I doubt she would fall through to the floor if the shelf gave out.

It has worked out wonderfully with the exception of it only being the depth of a standard desk. Luckily the desk has wheels so if I need to work on something large, I can pull "my table" away from the wall and put something behind it to support the quilt. I'll put up with that inconvenience for the gobs of money I saved not having to buy a traditional sewing table. The desk only cost me $30....and half a day of blood, sweat, and tears trying to get the perfect sized hole. I went through a lot of sand paper! My husband kept asking me "Are you sure you don't want me to take a little more off with the saw?" It was tempting, but I knew the results would be better if I just kept at it. And they are! A perfect fit, if I may say so myself.

Anyway, congrats on your new Bernie. I'll bet she is going to be an absolute dream. Do you know how much space is to the right of the needle on the 440? Perhaps it's the bed, the arm, the throat, the harp....I've heard it called so many terms.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:53 AM

My DH took an old sewing machine cabinet and enlarged the opening to fit my Bernina 730, then he found a place to buy the lift like that which is in the Horn tables (cost about $100) and installed that. Now I can use my machine flush with the top of the table for most sewing but easily pop her up to use for free arm stitching or embroidery. The lift was a little pricey, but still way less expensive than the professionally manufactured tables.

If I remember correctly the 440 has about 7-1/2 inches to the right of the needle...but don't remember exactly.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:18 AM

I have the same Bernina and have been looking for a cabinet for the past year. I hesitate to order on line because I have heard people buy one (no particular brand) and then it is flimsy and not sturdy. Let us know what you decide.