Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Allergies & Washing Linty Jelly Rolls >

Allergies & Washing Linty Jelly Rolls

Allergies & Washing Linty Jelly Rolls

Old 07-08-2010, 06:09 PM

sometimes I have the same problem with some fabrics . I always have SOME reaction because my allergies are severe and I have asthma and COPD. My dr suggested I wear a mask but this fogs my glasses and I still itch from the contact with lint and dye? I take allergy meds and meds for asthma and copd...I just do it anyway... I hope yours gets better or you find a way around it. If you find something that helps be sure to let us know!!
Old 07-08-2010, 06:18 PM

Another thing, do you someone who would cut your pcs for you from laundered yardage so all the little flying fluffies we dont need to breathe would be gone before it gets to your house? I taught my neice to quilt and she used a fabric softener to smooth her thread thru to hand quilt and I instantly choked and vomitted before she could get it out the deck door. So she and my husband sometimes deal with things Icant like this and spray basting and cleaning filters etc
Old 07-08-2010, 06:49 PM

I did with the triangle I brought from ebay(moda) and it hit my eyes from the flyaways lint...took me a few days to quit hurting! Im glad u posted this cuz i thought it was me! And the air was filled with this tiny fuzz.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

The Accucut die cut machine would eliminate all the cutting pain and the airborne lint. Check it out.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:03 PM

BellaBoo....you are right about that!
Old 07-08-2010, 09:50 PM

I think you would be sorry if you tried to wash a jelly roll, you would have a tangled mess.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:41 PM

I have allergies, too. If they were that linty, I would send them back.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:39 PM

You have my sympathy. I just spent 5 miserable days feeling itchy like bugs on me from head to foot. I ate benedryl and avoided my medications, and foods, only to discover I was piecing with old fabrics from my mother's stash. It must have been the dye or the dust. All better now, but machine washed the quilt top and rinsed with baking soda in the water. All is better now. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by overdew
I was piecing with old fabrics from my mother's stash. It must have been the dye or the dust.
Could have been some mould in there if they have been stored for a long time. It doesn't have to be visible to affect you if you are allergic.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ginakra
I have terrible allergies, am just getting started in quilting, and it seems something in some fabrics, either the lint, dust or chemicals, really gets to me. I bought a couple of jelly rolls from an online store, and they arrived Friday afternoon. They were so "linty" that the bunnies inside the bag, and on the yardage stuck in there with it, were the size you'd find under your fridge. I'm sure I inhaled some of the "lint" while I was peeking in the bag. Well, by Friday night I knew I was in trouble, and for the next two days I was so sick I could barely function. I'm still not feeling well. :(

So I need some advice, you kind and smart quilters :). Is there any way I can pre-wash and dry these without ruining the width of the strip? Has anyone pre-washed a jelly rolll? Or is it a disaster waiting to happen and I should just send them back? My first yardage pre-washing experience did not go well, and I learned some tips, but cannot use them with these strips.

I will probably *have* to dry them, because I can't let clothes dry on a rack, the tiny amount of mold/mildew that forms in those short hours gets to me too. I have one of those sweater racks for my dryer, I thought I'd lie the strips on those for cool drying, instead of tumbling them. I will also have to wash them in warm water in the sink to try and get rid of whatever it is in there that's making me sick. Do you think they'll be ok?

I spent $50 on the jelly rolls and I'd like to hear any experiences or thoughts. I don't want to ruin them by pre-washing. I'd rather just return them.

Does anyone else have problems with fabrics, especially linty jelly rolls?

Thanks in advance!
here is one suggestion...i have done this myself. if there is a lot of lint, i use my small hand-held vacuum before unrolling the jellyroll...it is amazing how much line this removes. don't elimninate the possibility you are reacting to the dye. either way, i would vacuum the roll, open it and lit it 'air' for several days, and use sizing before sewing. hope your situation improves. being alergic to fabric would be worse than death!