Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • alot of talk about labels- and wanting to sell your quilts-be informed >
  • alot of talk about labels- and wanting to sell your quilts-be informed

• alot of talk about labels- and wanting to sell your quilts-be informed

Old 08-14-2011, 08:31 AM

dreamer i have life threatening allergies & asthma but those who do not have our condition are not aware of the precautions that we must live with daily. i have only had asthma a short time (6yrs) and i'm still learning what my triggers are. those who aren't where we are do not know unless they live with someone like us. i chalk such comments up to a lack of knowledge and not necessarily a lack of sensitivity.

Originally Posted by dreamer2009
    Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Originally Posted by ckcowl
    and some people have serious allergies to different fibers- would you not feel horrible if you made a quilt and used something in it- did not identify it- and someone died because of that allergy???
    I would think the person with life threatening allergy would not be around places that would have the items that would cause their death much less buy one, label or no label. That is just common sense. Same with the labeling. Use common sense. How many handmade cloth items are made with dangerous fibers anyway?

Felt the need to make a statement in regards to this comment.
    I am one of those people with LIFE THREATENING ALLERGIES.
    I don't choose to live in a bubble. There is no way to tell what will set it off. I carry an injection kit at all times. It's not about being around anything in particular; it just happens. IT SURELY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH COMMON SENSE !!
    One would think you would do some research BEFORE posting
    such tactless comments.
    Old 08-14-2011, 08:54 AM

Thanks for the info. Never hurts to err on the side of caution!!
    If retailers, and they do have to include content label, why would not everone, the tough spot is sometimes not knowing what might have been put into what your buying to create with. Seems like would be protected, to some point on this as the buyer.
    Here's an example; weights and measures will occasionally come into a retailer and request that they measure the content of a product, if it's short product they move on to the maker of that product, not the seller, retailers not at fault.
    Not to hard to put on a label, for even home made goods, put it on with a permanent but removable label.

Happy Quilting and Selling
    Old 08-14-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
    Yep I thought I seen a Fed at the last craft show I went to! Very strange this lady was. She was trying to blend in, but can you really blend when you show up in a vintage pink Buick wearing a pink suit? Very suspicious to say the least. I dont know but she might have been looking for illegal aliens also.
    I've heard at antique shows that the IRS even has "plants" moving through to see if vendors are charging tax for their sales.
    Old 08-14-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi
    Just another example of Big Brother watching you. I'm sorry - this just ticks me off as it seems the government (most of who are idiots) is overly concerned with this small stuff as opposed to actually running the country. Ridiculous! Just sayin' .............
    Amen!!!!
    Old 08-14-2011, 09:27 AM

ckcowl, thanks for the information.
    Old 08-14-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by jeanneb52
    The feds can't get their own content straight. Why worry about mine? By the way, I tear the labels off my pillows and mattresses. I know they're comin' for me!
    LOL, so do I. I hate those ugly labels. We both will be caught....LOL
    Old 08-14-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sandy-lou
    Yep I thought I seen a Fed at the last craft show I went to! Very strange this lady was. She was trying to blend in, but can you really blend when you show up in a vintage pink Buick wearing a pink suit? Very suspicious to say the least. I dont know but she might have been looking for illegal aliens also.
    she may have been a Mary Kay makeup consultant lol
    That car would of been a Cadillac if she was with Mary Kay!! What a hoot.
    Old 08-14-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Ellen 1
    Originally Posted by ptquilts
    great, now the feds are coming after Grandma for selling her handmade mittens....lol..
    Not surprising....the TSA is already wanting grandma to remove her diaper at the airport security line!! (true story-granny was in her 90's)
    Yep, I saw that on the news. What a shame this world is coming to. With all the "regulations" put out by the gov't. it is no wonder why there are such few "mom & pop" shops that no longer can afford to stay in business. In my case, as far as labels.........I don't use them, however, I don't sell my handmade items. They are gifted to whomever. I do my handwork for enjoyment of doing it, and the joy of gifting to people who love my work. I do put "made by" on the kids' and friends items. Take care, Mary
    Old 08-14-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Pat G
    I've heard at antique shows that the IRS even has "plants" moving through to see if vendors are charging tax for their sales.
    Whoever you heard that from doesn't have a clue what they're talking about! The IRS doesn't have a thing to do with sales tax!
    Old 08-14-2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    they apply to ALL TEXTILE CREATIONS- IT DOES NOT MATTER IF IT IS A QUILT- A T-SHIRT= OR A HOT PAD if it is made from a fiber and is sold it is supposed to be labeled what the fiber is. it does not matter what you are making- or selling- it only matters that the fibers used are identified.and some people may think it's just dumb= but that does not change it-
    Begging to differ, but not ALL textile items are included. Tote bags, for instance, are not covered, not are coasters, pet clothing, padded hangers, holiday decorations and ornaments, hot pads, oven mitts, wall decorations and many other listed items. In addition, absent a specific inclusion written into the law, the item is NOT required to be labeled.

You must also include country of origin on these labels. You can say "Made in the USA of imported materials", but you cannot say just "Made in the USA" unless all the materials were made in the US...and no fabrics are made here anymore.

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bu...-and-wool-acts