Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Also have a half square triangle question... >

Also have a half square triangle question...

Also have a half square triangle question...

Old 03-02-2014, 09:00 PM

My solution to the already stitched triangle pairs would be to make them into a small quilt and name it "No Points", and donate it if you don't like it. Taking the pairs apart may stretch the triangles out of shape and make them difficult to work with, anyway.

Have fun.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:06 PM

Thank you, Barb_Mo for pointing out another duh for me! ��
I think I'll play around a bit to practice both ways. I've always been leery of working with bias edges. So I need the experience! Thanks to everyone! I'll report back with my progress! I love all the help and ideas here on Quiltingboard!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:08 PM

Cathyvv, excellent! That's kind of what I was thinking. It'll be like I meant for it to be a trapeziod quilt! Yes!
Old 03-02-2014, 10:17 PM

You have some good instruction here. I would only add that you might want to starch to control the bias also. I also got some triangles(not 2500, but quite a bag full) at our thrift store that I have to trim to even sizes and plan to starch as I piece.

Last edited by nanacc; 03-02-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:35 PM
Gay

These pieces are right-angle-triangles, and seem to me they were meant to be made into squares, perhaps thats why they don't fit properly. Just a thought. I'd try making a larger block using squares
Old 03-03-2014, 12:36 AM

/kcmomto2; look up MSQC THE Periwinkle block which lost points. Use the same second methods where points not lost.
Good luck
Old 03-03-2014, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Kcmomto2 View Post
Looking at that tute, the overlaps of the two side triangles happen at the same place. Ok.
Ah, nurtz! I've been sewing triangle pairs at a time, with edges matching, not adding one at a time in rows. I've already done 202 pairs. Sigh. (Chain stitch too easy. This isn't going to be one of those quilts, apparently!)
I'll start again. Um, I have enough to work with, I think. LOL! (Not unsewing yet, at this point! Ha!). Now to calculate how many triangles to stitch together per row...
Taking a break now, though. A bit discouraged. Maybe after supper...?
Just remember we have all been in the same boat KCmomto2. We've all torn out plenty of our blocks, and started over. It is the learning process we seem to have to go thru. For a novice quilter hst can be a challenge. I happen to be point obsessed and will resew and tear out until it is right. Other people might think it's ok and some are like me. Here's a thought. Put that away for a bit (wonder where ufo's come from) and make something with squares. Learn that pesky 1/4" seam - do it with tape on the machine bed, foot, marking, anyway you can. Your seams look a little small to me (measure it to see) and maybe that's why there is little or no overlap. You need to get comfortable and consistent with that 1/4" seam. But do something with squares or straight line sewing, and when ready, go back to your hst. You will be amazed at how much better you will feel about what you are doing. My first real quilt was a log cabin. Sewing straight lines - it taught me so much. Good luck whatever you chose.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
Here is a link that will show you how the triangles are offset. http://www.mommybydaycrafterbynight....ng-making.html
That site is showing isosceles triangles and the sample shown here appear to be quarter triangles, but the process of sewing together is the same no matter what kind of triangle being sewn....there must be that overlap f 1/4" at tip. This is one of the basic piecing techniques and can be found in almost all quilting books and of course tutes now! It's a shame you have cut all those triangles incorrectly.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
Here is a link that will show you how the triangles are offset. http://www.mommybydaycrafterbynight....ng-making.html
Thanks for the great site and pattern. I am pretty new also and always need help with the triangles. I just love the pattern, though!! Great edges- worth the extra time to make the binding for the nice outcome. I saved it all!
Old 03-04-2014, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
These pieces are right-angle-triangles, and seem to me they were meant to be made into squares, perhaps thats why they don't fit properly. Just a thought. I'd try making a larger block using squares
Looking at pic again, you are right! Great observation.......can do a lot with HST.......and that bias edge is sewn into the seam right away........