Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
alternative to sitd >

alternative to sitd

alternative to sitd

Old 06-28-2012, 05:58 AM

Love the serpentine stitch.
Did not know you could do it so large. I will have to check my machine to see if it will do it that big.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Here's an example of beautiful serpentine stitching. Click the link for pics.

http://www.redpepperquilts.com/2010/...oin-quilt.html
Nice site. Love the look of the serpentine stitch going thru the blocks. I'm going to try that.

I use the serpentine stitch a lot of times. I use the seam line as the guide and the stitching goes over both fabrics. I think it looks nice on lots of quilts. Adds a little interest.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:08 AM

An experienced quilting friend of mine had suggested the serpentine stitch for a baby quilt that I am making for my new grandson and I have been practicing on a small quilt sandwich to find the best stitch width and length for my machine. Then I saw that someone recommended AllPeopleQuilt on this site yesterday and I found this: http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/techni...lery_ss12.html
It says that it's easy enough for a beginner! Good luck with your project and welcome from the Lone Star State.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:00 AM

This would be a great method for beginners to gain confidence and also produce a nice quilt.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:49 AM

I love to combine machine and hand stitching!!!!! Is there an abbreviated name for "next to the ditch", LOL???

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
When I used to quilt on my DSM I had very few choices of decorative stitches. I found stitching right next to the ditch to be a great solution. I varied from 1/8" to 1/4" away from the seam lines using my foot as a guage. I could only do this with smaller size quilts because it involved turning the quilt quite a bit. I wouldn't attempt it with anything much bigger than 60" square. I would also mix in handquilting for the more elaborate designs because I never felt comfortable FMQ on my domestic. Here is a link to a quilt I did both these techniques with:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ar-t25770.html
Old 06-29-2012, 06:49 AM

thanks for the link - I never thought outside the box - woohoo new trick learned! Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:27 AM

Lots of decorative stitches look really neat elongated or made wider. If you can get ahold of Mary Mashuta's Foolproof Macine Quilting you'll get some terrific ideas and explanations. It's all done with the walking foot.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:44 AM

Welcome to the board. I think that is the way it is intended to work. I haven't tried it yet, but I have several Project Linus quilts ready to quilt and I think that would be a quick and easy way to quilt them.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

Foolproof Machine Quilting by Mary Mashuta is a book that I recently bought. She explains how to use your walking foot to create the look of some FMQ-like designs. I'd suggest you go check it out (got mine from Amazon). It helps to expand the quilting skill without actually having to do FMQ.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:56 PM

You might want to experiment with some FMQ--I'm not great by any means! But will tackle a lap quilt size and have found that I'm getting much better. If you can set your feed dogs down and have an embroidery/FMQ foot, give it a try. I did see a tip recently that REALLY made sense--work so that you are bring the work TOWARD you instead of away--being able to actually see what you've done let's you keep track of where you are with your design. Just did this on a lap quilt and it was so much easier!